Taking a trip to Scotland in October... Any tips?

euphrosyne_rose

Hey ladies!
I am finally going on a trip to the UK in October and I decided on Scotland. Right now I'm not sure if I want to stay in Edinburgh or Glasgow but I'll be going on this trip alone. All by myself. I've never been out of the country before and I'm a little nervous but excited at the same time b/c I think this will be a great experience for me. I'm familiar with a little of Scottish history but I was hoping that anyone that lives there or has been there could give me some tips and suggestions on things to see and do and if it would be better to get a travel agent. I may possibly have my room taken care of b/c someone I know works for a timeshare corporation and she might be able to get me a deal on where I stay. Any help would be appreciated!
specktra_rocks.gif

gildedangel

Edinburgh and Glasglow are great, I stayed in Glasgow and just took the train to Edinburgh. Try to visit Inverness if you can, it was a lovely place to stay! If you go to the Information Center (wait like 20 minutes after it opens so its not packed) you can go see what tours are available and see what is going on! There is one of these centers in almost every major town or city. Scotland is great, you will have a blast!

crystalclear

Scotland is an amazing place (I am Scottish so I may be a little bit bias towards it). It really depends on what you want. Glasgow is better for shopping and nightlife etc, Edinburgh is a very beautiful city, a lot of historical buildings such as the castle, Mary King Close, the Covenanters prison (many argue MKC and the CP to be two of the most haunted places in Scotland) and there is also the Scottish Parliament which might be worth a visit as it is the tenth anniversary year of Devolution (the building is ugly in my opinion). there is a lot of good shops in Edinburgh (MAC is located in Harvey Nichols and there is Jenner's the department store but when I was there earlier this week it wasn't that good and if you go to the restraunt at the top of John Lewis you'll get an amazing view of the Firth of Forth) Glasgow has a lot of history too with the cathederal etc , George Square is pretty at night and there is a lot to do. Frasers Dep't store in Glasgow is really nice inside. There is a lot to be considering (PM me if you want or just ask on the thread if there is anything you want to know). Whilst Edinburgh is pretty Glasgow has a lot of important buildings designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh (esp. the Art School), Alexander "Greek" Thomson etc.
For places to stay, I think Edinburgh is a bit more expensive than Glasgow most of Edinburghs most important sites are located within easy walking distance you can walk to most of the Glasgow site but if you want to see some of the places you may have to travel but the transport there is quite good. There is an underground (subway)it is not one you can get lost on if you get on the wrong circle you'll end up where you want, just a bit later, it isnt like London or New York where there are numerous routes, I wouldn't recommend going on this late at night or when there is a football match (esp. if it is Ranger v Celtic at Ibrox).
A nice place to visit for history is Stirling particuarly for wars of Independence era history. Bannockburn is just outside Stirling but last time I was there there wasn't much to see and it isn't easy to get to without a car or without going in a tour group.
I could literally go on forever, if you want to know anything just ask. I personally, would stay in Glasgow but it's where I am from so I have a sore spot for it. Regardless of where you go I'm sure you'll love it especially since it is Homecoming year and the Scottish Government has a lot planned over the year eventwise.

abbyquack

Oh man it has been like 6 years since I went to Scotland, so I'm pretty jealous that you are going!
smiles.gif
I didn't spend much time in Glasgow, mostly in Edinburgh and a little time in Inverness. Edinburgh will take your breath away, it is such a gorgeous place. There's a lot of decent shopping (iirc the major shopping area is called the royal mile), and most everything was within walking distance so it was easy to get around there.

Inverness is also amazing, and along the way you can stop at the famous Loch Ness and look for Nessie
smiles.gif

Good luck planning your trip & travel safely!