to the 24 hr employees

II3rinII

ok so i was hired for a 24 hr position [at MAC] and when i first started all of us 24 hr employees worked 3-4 days a week. that was cool for us cuz we could take freelance gigs to supplement our income. well recently we went through some manager changes, new srm, new counter manager, and now they are saying that the higher powers that be want all 24 hr employees to work 5 days a week! that means making your sales goal in 4 hr shifts (yeah i can make my $750 daily goal when im working an 11-3 shift and my first customer doesnt come in till 12:30). plus its hard to take freelance gigs or even have a second job with these weird hours now. we are working 5 days a week like a fulltime job but only making part time money.
thmbdn.gif
im wondering if its like this everywhere or if our new srm is just crazy. i know this artist in orlando says he works 3 days a week and hes a 24 hr emp. so why in jacksonville are we all working dinky 4 hr shifts 5 days a week?

MisStarrlight

When I was a 24hr I always worked 4 days a week....and when we got our new manager in November, most of the time she has our 24 hr girls that way too.

It's my understanding that the schedules are up to the manager's discretion (and approved by higher management, of course)...if you're really having an issue with the new format, speak to your manager & see if there is something you can work out together. But keep in mind that the length of the shift and the number of shifts you have during a week are often based on the needs of the business rather than what's considered the 'norm' for your position so there may not be anything that your manager can do. (For example, I used to do 8 hours shifts on very busy Saturdays & then a shorter shift during the week to even things out so the SPHs remained within the desired range)

But don't worry about your goals changing with a shorter shift. Your goals are based entirely on the counter goal for the day & divided amongst the people working-equally based on the number of hours in their shift for that day...so although it may seem like your goals are getting effed up, your daily goal will be lower working a 4 hour shift than it would be if you were working your usual 6...and your weekly goal will remain around the same total regardless of how your hours are split up.

I used to do a lot of work with our schedules so if you have any questions about it, feel free to pm me.

calbear

unfortunately there isn't much you can do in that situation. I know a couple of 24/25 hour employees that used to have shifts like you described but recently i saw that change in my area as well. You will hear the line 'your schedule is based on business needs' when you bring it up. For most locations there is nothing the manager can do (it doesn't hurt to try though).

good luck

II3rinII

yeah its weird, our new counter manager is actually on our side, she feels working us at 5-7 hour shifts over a 4 day span is much better. however our new srm claims that HER boss said we have to work 5 days. but its silliness, our counter is in well... to put it nicely "the ghetto mall" and since the new mac store opened at the new mall we've become the forgotten ones. =(. last sat, there were 8 of us scheduled, yet it was the SLOWEST sat ever!! in 5 hours i did less than $200. ugh!! it wasnt like this before the management changes, but they are claiming its "new mac policy" and nothing can be done. its just really hard for us to supplement our income working 5 days. so i was just curious how it was at other counters across the nation. oh is anyone here in my region? have any of you worked under jomanna? i think shes like over south georgia, florida and puerto rico.