Wanting some tips for an interview!

louisamary

Hello everyone, basically I have an interview for MAC on Tuesday.

I am nervous and I have literally searched a lot of the internet about interview questions for MAC, what to wear, what to expect, and what not.

I applied online and got an email a few days later saying I was unsuccessful, but I had handed in my CV at the counter itself and got a call last Thursday. I have retail experience and experience in selling, around 9 months, I expressed this on my cover letter and also my passion for make-up and the fact that I have done a make-up course which I am assuming is why they called me.

I don't have many products from MAC, I have foundation, powder, paint pot and 2 lipsticks, would you recommend going out and buying some eyeshadows, what if they asked what eyeshadow I had on and it was by urban decay, wouldn't that be awkward? But I can't really afford their products at the moment, would they hold that against me?

I am extremely passionate about this and although it is mainly sales it is still something I want to do because I am very much a people person, I love helping customers. I am panicking and what not, and probably over nothing. I don't have anything to wear yet so any tips on that would be a plus, I am a bigger sized lady too.

Anything that anybody can help me or advise me with would be much appreciated, thank you!

Dominique33

I would choose a black or dark dress or whatever you want ( you mentioned your size that's why ) + bright vivid makeup ( be yourself, choose the colours that really suit you ), jewels can help too, one piece or two I think.
Don't forget to talk about the artistic dimension of the brand and don't forget it also belongs to Estee Lauder ( mother company ).
You are a people person, it probably shows !
You will learn step by step, it's not so easy to work for M.A.C and even more difficult to get the job.
Good luck !
flower.gif

louisamary

Would you suggest wearing their eye shadows? I don't generally wear bright colours on my eyes but I will have a test run. Would you suggest going and buying 3 of their eye shadows? Apparently there is a 3 rule, 3 eye shadows on the eyes, that's what I've read anyway.

Thank you so much for replying, I really didn't think anybody would because a lot of the posts I've seen have been from previous years! :)

louisamary

So basically, I went for my interview yesterday.

It was very informal to be honest, and I thought it went really well, until the end.

I made sure that I was enthusiastic, I made sure that I told them I was completely flexible and would work any time they wanted, I made sure I told them that I knew it was a business and not just about make-up. I really thought it was going well, they liked my portfolio and what not.

But when it got to the end, she said the targets that they expect you to meet, my eyebrows went up a little bit but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't achieve them. She then went on to say that they wanted someone that wouldn't need to be trained straight away and that would be able to go out and meet targets, obviously I couldn't just but in and say I WILL MEET TARGETS! So i'm guessing she was implying I wouldn't be a safe option.

I then asked if she thought the experience I had was enough and she basically said it was all down to whoever else they were interviewing. She then also was saying things like, if your unsuccessful, be sure to keep trying because there are always opportunities come up - which to me suggests that she was politely trying to say - not this time.

She then said I should hear back at the end of the week of wether I have been successful and if not I will get feedback. Do you think she was saying all that to be polite or do you think they have to say those things to everyone to not get their hopes up? Should I lose all faith at this point haha?