What am I missing in my palette?

franken_stein

I hope someone can help me out here! I've been looking through the stickied thread for "Top favorite neutral and brights" and I still feel indecisive right now. I just did my first depots ever (yay!) this week, and I currently have 12 pans filled in my 15 palette. I'm still pretty new at this.

Right now I have one more set of six empties to do B2M and for budgeting, I'm just not going to let myself buy any more eyeshadows for awhile... so the next B2M that I get, I want to make sure that it's something that I REALLY want!

Here's what I currently have:

Malt (this... does not show up on my NW30 skin. It just disappears!)
All That Glitters
Woodwinked
Satin Taupe
Shroom
Haux
Handwritten
Charcoal Brown
Signed, Sealed
Tempting
Tilt
Typographic

As you can see, I'm not too bold with my colors! Tilt is the only one that isn't really a neutral there (besides the dark Typographic). I'm not sure I want anything ridiculously bright, but maybe a little different? I liked Embark, but for now, as long as I'm trying to cut back on spending, I think I'll have to skip it because it looks fairly similar to Handwritten. Can you guys see any colors I need to fill in there for my last B2M eyeshadow?

Thank you so much!

PillyPen

Vex, maybe? It's one of my favorites, and it's colorful without being in your face about it!

Babylard

a neutral fav of mine is retrospeck!

i think you need like a dark gunmetal grey or some silver/grey/smokey shades. it depends on your taste, but try checking out silver ring, print, knight divine, sumptous olive, greensmoke, electra. and i think a pure white eyeshadow is a neccessity. either crystal avalanche, white frost, or gesso.

franken_stein

Thank you! I didn't really think I needed a grey/gunmetal because of the one I have in the Urban Decay Naked palette (I probably didn't even need that palette seeing all these MAC neutrals I have!) but now that I think about it I think you're right! It'd be nice to be able to do a silvery or grey smoky eye without all that glittery fallout!

I'll also definitely check out Vex and Retrospeck!

martiangurll

Jest or Naked Lunch for the browbone. Arena is a nice peachy cream for the lids. Soba is a must have neutral for me--perfect for the crease. If you can get your hands on a Buckwheat, you will thank me later.

franken_stein

Thanks again folks! I STILL haven't made a decision... blagh, plus, I went to a different MAC pro store than I usually do for some reason, and they didn't take my depotted shadows! I was pretty annoyed, the other store I like to go to took them without the metal pan. I know policies have been changing lately but that was just this week!

Here's a picture of my still-unfinished palette! Pretty brown, huh? Excuse the messy labeling, that's only temporary until I get some stickers!

palette-vi.jpg

makeba

PATINA is my favorite neutral color. I just love this color because its not in your face and it has a beige,pink tone in it. Its beautiful over bamboom paint. cork, soba and swiss chocolate are lovely too along with mulch.

HMC

Wow...I didn't realize just HOW MANY neutrals MAC really does have!! lol
tong.gif
I love Blanc Type, Vanilla, and Swiss Chocolate...Brown Down is also a perfect brown color.

AdlersMommy22

retrospeck is one of my faves.. like an NC40-42 though so it shows up really well on me... however i remember thta when i was an NC30 in the winter time i could still use it really well and often (ive gone through 4 as it was my FIRST ever MAC eyeshadow that i bought)

Lyssah

I would recommend the following shades for netural;
- Naked Lunch
- Pantina
- arena or bamboo
- twinks
- a greyish colour like print or silver ring

For something a bit different but not too bright how about;

- vex
- shale
- expensive pink
- deep truth (to go with Tilt).

Cydonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken_stein
Thanks again folks! I STILL haven't made a decision... blagh, plus, I went to a different MAC pro store than I usually do for some reason, and they didn't take my depotted shadows! I was pretty annoyed, the other store I like to go to took them without the metal pan. I know policies have been changing lately but that was just this week!

Here's a picture of my still-unfinished palette! Pretty brown, huh? Excuse the messy labeling, that's only temporary until I get some stickers!

palette-vi.jpg

I think Amber Lights would go nicely in this -- it's one of my favorites and if you're going more neutral, I like to use a little in the crease to give some sparkle. How about a gold? Goldmine or All That Glitters would work... Also, I agree on Vex... how about Nylon?

StarrySim

I think you should get some colours in there, but I see you don't want anything too bright. I would suggest Shale, Deep Truth, Shadowy lady, Star Violet, Expensive Pink, Fiction. With these you can add a tiny bit of colour in the crease or outer V.

martiangurll

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken_stein
Thank you! I didn't really think I needed a grey/gunmetal because of the one I have in the Urban Decay Naked palette (I probably didn't even need that palette seeing all these MAC neutrals I have!) but now that I think about it I think you're right! It'd be nice to be able to do a silvery or grey smoky eye without all that glittery fallout!

I'll also definitely check out Vex and Retrospeck!

Okay, I just got Vex and it is so versatile--you must try it. Goes with pinks, greens, smokeys, grays and blues. I have not tried it with purples, but I bet it goes. They should rename it "Versatility"

franken_stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by martiangurll
Okay, I just got Vex and it is so versatile--you must try it. Goes with pinks, greens, smokeys, grays and blues. I have not tried it with purples, but I bet it goes. They should rename it "Versatility"

Thanks so much for all the comments, you guys! I've heard so many different people say Vex though (including at the store) so I may end up going with that one!

Eventually I want another highlight color too because I don't think Shroom shows up on me at all. Thank you again for the suggestions! For highlight I might go with Ricepaper or Naked Lunch, those ones probably show up on me better than Shroom.

Latest posts