What does a *good* portfolio consist of?

AudreyNicole

I am looking to start a portfolio for my own personal reasons, and to use it to hopefully get in with MAC someday. In your opinion, what does a good portfolio include? TIA!
smiles.gif

MisStarrlight

Variety & creativity. Show your skills on all ages, sexes & races...hehehe

But for real, show off what you can do in both beauty & fantasy.

Vicky88

I'd definitely 2nd experimenting on different ages, sexes and races. It might also be interesting to inc. pics of where you have recreated a certain look (from an ad or a celeb or something) because people might come in asking for "Kate Winslet's Oscar look" or something, and that would show that you have those skills.

A question to do with portfolios from me to everyone else: what sort of pictures do you have to include? Like, how do you take the photos? I'm assuming digi cam pics in the bathroom aren't accepted lol.

MAC_WH0RE

in response to vicky, in my portfolio what i do which isnt very professional, but has gotten me jobs at different makeup counters is this:

use any camera (digital, disposable whatever).
make sure you get every possible angle of the makeup.
get pics with the eyes open, closed, looking up, looking to each side, and an extreme close up of one eye, the lips and then a "beauty shot" just with the makeup.

open something like Microsoft Picture It, or Photoshop.
Composite all of the pictures into one big page.
Then in a spot on the page where there isnt ALOT going on, write in EVERYTHING that you used. The brand, what it is, and the color....

Enlarge and put in a sheet protector.

bellamia

Try posting on craig list under freelace makeup artist. I forgot what is was called but basically you get paid by photos. I'll ask my other makeup artist friends and I'll get back to you on what it's really called.

.VivaDiva.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamia
Try posting on craig list under freelace makeup artist. I forgot what is was called but basically you get paid by photos. I'll ask my other makeup artist friends and I'll get back to you on what it's really called.

hi honey it's called a TFP or TFP's Time for Prints.

~VD

bellamia

Oh thank you so much I totally forgot what is was called. And it has been bugging me all day thanks again VIVADIVA
wavey.gif

Vicky88

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_WH0RE
in response to vicky, in my portfolio what i do which isnt very professional, but has gotten me jobs at different makeup counters is this:

use any camera (digital, disposable whatever).
make sure you get every possible angle of the makeup.
get pics with the eyes open, closed, looking up, looking to each side, and an extreme close up of one eye, the lips and then a "beauty shot" just with the makeup.

open something like Microsoft Picture It, or Photoshop.
Composite all of the pictures into one big page.
Then in a spot on the page where there isnt ALOT going on, write in EVERYTHING that you used. The brand, what it is, and the color....

Enlarge and put in a sheet protector.

Thank you for that! I've only just remembered to check back! heh