Which toners are for combo skin?

elektra513

I don't really want an extra step, but I am paranoid that I am not doing enough for my skin...

I know that Origins United State is good for combo skin (I used it when I was in college) but I don't want to pay $18 for something that will go so quickly...

Drugstore recs are mucho appreciated...

TIA
thmbup.gif

kaexbabey

not a drugstore brand but i really like clinique's mild clarifying lotion. i LOVE LOVE LOVE this stuff! it's $11 for 6.7 ounces so it's not TOO bad. i'd say with everyday use it should last 4-5 months. even though it's for the "driest of skin tones", it works well with my combination skin. there's no alcohol in it so it doesnt irritate the skin! hope this helped!

rachybloom

I'm a firm believer in the "less is more" approach. Most derms agree that toner is an unnecessary, and often harmful, step in a daily skin care regimen. However, if you're absolutely set on getting one, I've heard good things about Renee Rouleau's toners because they are natural and target different skin types (oily, sensitive, dry, acne prone..) But to be honest, I'd just stick to the minimum to let your skin BREATHE!

elektra513

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaexbabey
not a drugstore brand but i really like clinique's mild clarifying lotion. i LOVE LOVE LOVE this stuff! it's $11 for 6.7 ounces so it's not TOO bad. i'd say with everyday use it should last 4-5 months. even though it's for the "driest of skin tones", it works well with my combination skin. there's no alcohol in it so it doesnt irritate the skin! hope this helped!

Lol! I have this in my cabinet. I plan on finishing it up till I find something that...moves me
winks.gif

I dunno, it feels like spit on my face...
ssad.gif
Don't get me wrong, it helped me get through the worst my skin has ever been in terms of sensitivities and such (I had a rough winter), but...ehh.

Thanks for that though
thmbup.gif

elektra513

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachybloom
I'm a firm believer in the "less is more" approach. Most derms agree that toner is an unnecessary, and often harmful, step in a daily skin care regimen. However, if you're absolutely set on getting one, I've heard good things about Renee Rouleau's toners because they are natural and target different skin types (oily, sensitive, dry, acne prone..) But to be honest, I'd just stick to the minimum to let your skin BREATHE!

I hear ya rachy! I've been googling my little heart out, and lately I'm finding a lot more "pro"-toner articles and info. The idea that an alcohol-free toner can help my skin absorb moisturizer better is really what's piqued my interest.

I'm not using the Clinique MCL right now (it's been one month without it) to use another skin care reggie (Murad) and my skin is looking good, but I'm still having "combo skin" issues...

My theory basically: if a toner can help the skin to absorb product better over time, then I won't have to keep shopping for a sunscreen or moisturizer that will absorb into my skin and not make me look like a grease monkey during the day. My skin is not oily at all really, it just looks like it after I apply product (ahem, in Georgia weather no less).

So what do y'all think I should be doing?

ETA: Just googled your rec. With Renee Rouleau being $30, less better be more, LOL! That's way too much for a damn toner
ssad.gif

rachybloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektra513
I hear ya rachy! I've been googling my little heart out, and lately I'm finding a lot more "pro"-toner articles and info. The idea that an alcohol-free toner can help my skin absorb moisturizer better is really what's piqued my interest.

I'm not using the Clinique MCL right now (it's been one month without it) to use another skin care reggie (Murad) and my skin is looking good, but I'm still having "combo skin" issues...

My theory basically: if a toner can help the skin to absorb product better over time, then I won't have to keep shopping for a sunscreen or moisturizer that will absorb into my skin and not make me look like a grease monkey during the day. My skin is not oily at all really, it just looks like it after I apply product (ahem, in Georgia weather no less).

So what do y'all think I should be doing?

ETA: Just googled your rec. With Renee Rouleau being $30, less better be more, LOL! That's way too much for a damn toner
ssad.gif

Yes it is quite expensive :[ I've never used it but have heard great things! I used to use just plain ol' Witch Hazel from the drug store when I did use a toner. It was very mild, very cheap, and witch hazel is a common ingredient in most toners! Perhaps give that a try?

or you could use a mattifying lotion like Cosmedicine Medi-Matte. I got a sample of it. My friend who has oily skin LOVES it, but I have extremely dry skin and it just made my skin worse. That's pretty expensive though I think? If you're willing to shell out the cash for it, I def. think you would like it. A less intense matte lotion is Smashbox Photo Finish Light, which I love as a primer for my foundation.

elektra513

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachybloom
Yes it is quite expensive :[ I've never used it but have heard great things! I used to use just plain ol' Witch Hazel from the drug store when I did use a toner. It was very mild, very cheap, and witch hazel is a common ingredient in most toners! Perhaps give that a try?

or you could use a mattifying lotion like Cosmedicine Medi-Matte. I got a sample of it. My friend who has oily skin LOVES it, but I have extremely dry skin and it just made my skin worse. That's pretty expensive though I think? If you're willing to shell out the cash for it, I def. think you would like it. A less intense matte lotion is Smashbox Photo Finish Light, which I love as a primer for my foundation.

Ehh, I'm trying to be cheap, lol! Got any drugstore recs
tong.gif
My other skincare is expensive so I'm trying to balance out the cost.

I used witch hazel in high school, actually. I was in Target yesterday, and opened up a bottle of WH and almost passed out. Then noticed 14% alcohol on the label. I'll pass. My skin isn't as resistant as it once was...
th_dunno.gif

rachybloom

Quote:
Ehh, I'm trying to be cheap, lol! Got any drugstore recs
tong.gif
My other skincare is expensive so I'm trying to balance out the cost.

I used witch hazel in high school, actually. I was in Target yesterday, and opened up a bottle of WH and almost passed out. Then noticed 14% alcohol on the label. I'll pass. My skin isn't as resistant as it once was...
th_dunno.gif

haha I know what you mean.. when I add up how much I use just to prep my face, it seems a bit ridiculous.. and then adding makeup.. I just feel like I have a shopping problem!

I went to Makeupalley.com and researched the top-rated toners and the top-rated primers and mattifying lotions available at the drugstore.

Toners
Neutrogena Alcohol-Free Toner w. a rating of 3.6
Clean & Clear Morning Burst Toner w. a rating of 4.7 (only 7 people reviewed it though)
All of Almays toners got pretty good reviews, they had one for dry, combo, and oily skin
Garnier Fresh Toner w. a rating of 4.8
Nivea Alcohol-Free Moisturizing Toner w. a rating of 4.3

There were some primers/mattifying lotions listed for drugstore brands (Revlon, Sally Hansen, Neutrogena, Physicians Formula were the only ones I found) but most of them had pretty low ratings?

I hope that helped.. Try just going to makeupalley.com and researching different products and finding top-rated ones. I like to pay attention to reviewers who have similar skin types to me when researching skincare products.

Good luck!

kaexbabey

Quote:
Lol! I have this in my cabinet. I plan on finishing it up till I find something that...moves me
winks.gif

I dunno, it feels like spit on my face...
ssad.gif
Don't get me wrong, it helped me get through the worst my skin has ever been in terms of sensitivities and such (I had a rough winter), but...ehh.

Thanks for that though
thmbup.gif

lol woops! no problem though
smiles.gif
sorry it didn't work out for you