An important message - please read!

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: An important message - please read!

  1. #121
    Senior Member Janice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    5,665
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @beautybylele I was referring more to news items than normal day to day posts from members.

  2. #122
    Senior Member BeautyByLele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,870
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, Janice thanks for the clarification!
    Mac NC50, MatchMaster Foundation 7.5 , Mac Face & Body C9
    Favs Dior Addict Lip Glow, MUFE Eyebrow Corrector, Mac MSFN, MAC makeup remover wipes

    My YouTube Channel : http://www.youtube.com/BeautyByLeLe
    Instagram: beautybylele

    ~~Beauty is Within~~

  3. #123
    Senior Member MissTT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    No MAC Zone
    Posts
    3,192
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shellygrrl View Post
    She didn't because she felt uncomfortable doing so, and she isn't the only one who has said as much. Please stop being dismissive and try to understand how it was for them.
    I could have done the same thing as you, but I'm not you. I can't make you understand how it feels to be me. An entire history of my life experience goes into my thought processes. I have to agree with shellygrrl your comment feels dismissive. Your experiences are not the same as mine so implying I should respond exactly as you would/did is insentient. The good news is we're cool so no hard feelings about it. I believe you wouldn't intentionally treat me badly. We just have differing perspectives.
    I get by with a little help from my FRIENDS...

  4. #124
    Senior Member AkeshialuvsMAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    brooklyn ny
    Posts
    925
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeautyByLele View Post
    I haven't decided if I'm going to pay for a membership... Yet !!! But what might stop me is that which I bolded. If that area is going to be private... Why would info being shared there (private area) be subjected to be released in the free chat? Shouldn't whatever is discussed in the private area remain private? Isn't that the purpose of having a private area? For example if someone post early swatches of a collection in the private section and then the mods/or someone else post those same swatches in the "free " area.... Doesn't that go against the reason behind the private area?
    I basically asked the same. Janice said there is no restrictions on the same info being posted both places

  5. #125
    Senior Member BeautyByLele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,870
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AkeshialuvsMAC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BeautyByLele View Post
    I haven't decided if I'm going to pay for a membership... Yet !!! But what might stop me is that which I bolded. If that area is going to be private... Why would info being shared there (private area) be subjected to be released in the free chat? Shouldn't whatever is discussed in the private area remain private? Isn't that the purpose of having a private area? For example if someone post early swatches of a collection in the private section and then the mods/or someone else post those same swatches in the "free " area.... Doesn't that go against the reason behind the private area?
    I basically asked the same. Janice said there is no restrictions on the same info being posted both places
    Thanks girl , I guess we will just have to give it some time and see how it plays out !!!
    Mac NC50, MatchMaster Foundation 7.5 , Mac Face & Body C9
    Favs Dior Addict Lip Glow, MUFE Eyebrow Corrector, Mac MSFN, MAC makeup remover wipes

    My YouTube Channel : http://www.youtube.com/BeautyByLeLe
    Instagram: beautybylele

    ~~Beauty is Within~~

  6. #126
    Senior Member Medgal07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Northeast USA
    Posts
    31,324
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissTT View Post
    That's really kind of you to say, Ajigglin. The truth is everyone does not like and appreciate me (just as I feel about some people here) so in my mind there stood the possibility that my exclusion was intentional.
    I always laugh when I read posts saying there are no cliques here. Of course there are cliques. I'm in some. We all interact with certain people more regularly and intensely than we do others on this forum.

    I could have done the same thing as you, but I'm not you. I can't make you understand how it feels to be me. An entire history of my life experience goes into my thought processes. I have to agree with shellygrrl your comment feels dismissive. Your experiences are not the same as mine so implying I should respond exactly as you would/did is insentient. The good news is we're cool so no hard feelings about it. I believe you wouldn't intentionally treat me badly. We just have differing perspectives.
    Exactly MissTT--we are cool and I meant you no harm in my comments. I apologize. I guess over time
    I've misread your demeanor as being tough, as some of your remarks have been less than sensitive---water
    under the bridge at this point. I guess that's the down side of text messaging--one can't see the sentiment
    behind the words as one would be able to face-face. I'd like to move on from here and get back to what I'm
    here to do---have fun discussing makeup. I'll be in those threads and not returning to this one.

  7. #127
    Member chicascouture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    91
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Audrey C View Post
    I've been here awhile, and while I didn't complain I did find some of the comments offensive. From everyone? Certainly not. From some? Definitely.

    I know that the code started with no ill intent, but let's not rewrite history. People were publicly chastised for committing the cardinal sin of sharing that a collection is up (public information). As Janice has said, this is not against forum rules. Here's an example:
    Audrey completely agree!!!!


    I have only been a member for maybe a month or so. I had read threads on specktra before but never subscried or commented on anything. Why you might ask? Well i am a shy person but lets be honest here not event the shiest of people would be comfortable with the negativity that happens with in the threads. I do not know if it was just because of the riri collection but honestly if someone wants to find out information they will. Not a code or not PMing people (which by the way I did PM a few people and was not helped at all) will keep someone from obtaining information. Honestly, im glad AUDREY C showed those quotes from the riri thread because when I read them a few days ago, I felt that as a newbie I was not WORTHY of obtaining information. Luckily, I AM A SMART women who knows better then to believe SEARS, JCPENNY, KOHL'S. ETC...., would sell MAC cosmetics. I understand that it was done for the intention to lure lurkers in the wrong direction but I for see it as something done maliciously to people with little knowledge of MAC who want something from the collection. I also find it disturbing that members of spectra would not share information about the launches online TO NEWBIES yet they would post that they got confirmation of there 6 order. Come one seriously???? People are worried about ebay but are not smart enough to see that there own people with over 3,000 post have bought all the stock available. I find it disturbing to be honest. I guess that for my first experience with a chat/forum ALL I saw/read was negative things about people. I guess people only get offended when they get called out on things the irony of it all.

    The premium membership might work and might not but that is how things are tested out. People might pay and might not. People will do what they want to do. But honestly YOU CANT MAKE EVERYONE HAPPY. It is impossible, there are to many different personalities to please everyone.

  8. #128
    Senior Member allthingsglam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    USA glam town
    Posts
    8,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow just wow I'm going to say this because I like to keep things short and sweet when the pm system come out I thought it was a wonderful idea I asked to be in the know and four people contacted me right away to let me know.what I don't like is when someone who is brand new signed up the day of a release like pm me for this can I know that I'm like what. see me personally I'm not going to respond to those I don't get MADD i just skip over it and keep reading I have everyday life to be worry about someone who I know I may never see post again to police them when I first joined I have been welcome with open arms I love specktra I personally love the vets because they been doing this for a long time I love to know thier insight to know whats really going on
    Every women is beautiful confidence is everthing.its all about how u rock it.

  9. #129
    Senior Member JJJewels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    463
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CartoonChic View Post
    I just thought of a possible incentive to include with the Premium Membership. I know there are many members, including myself, who have blogs, websites, YouTube pages and things that they would like to promote. Maybe a Premium Membership could also include some form of advertisement option if we wanted it. I know we can already mention things in our signatures for free, but maybe we could have some sort of thumbnail ad included under our profile pic or something of the like. Just an idea.
    Now THIS I would pay for. I was trying to figure out what the value for me as a copywriter for beauty brands (and a beauty blogger in my off hours). If there was a place I could do link swaps, contact legit bloggers and also pimp my site out, I'd pay for that.
    Check out my blog - http://swatchandreview.com

  10. #130
    Senior Member hoshiakari_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Texas
    Posts
    688
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't been on Specktra as much as I have been in the past because of all the drama going on in the MAC threads. Of course, I'd still buy a membership to support the site because this place has been the biggest fountain of information I could have ever hoped to find and have, even more so than some popular beauty blogger sites.
    Unfortunately, I feel like thanks to the over hyped collections brings out the worst in some people and that's one of the biggest reasons I haven't posted as much. As a matter of fact, I've even stopped reading the threads with all the drama in them. Before when I wanted to catch up with a thread, I'd read through the 20-30 pages with no problem, but now with so much bickering I simply click the little 'x' on that tab. Not only that, but with the way some people demonize lurkers. I will proudly label myself a lurker and not once have I ever sold anything on ebay nor have I expected anybody to PM me with collection or launch information. Not going to lie, I felt a little left out (probably because I'm a lurker and don't post as much, or hell, at all) but not once did I take it the wrong way. I certainly understand how the PMing came to be, but it was the way that it was carried out that I didn't appreciate, especially for the newer members.
    But back to the lurker bit. I know that is a place for people who love makeup to come together and talk about it. It's only natural that friendship blossoms between people and it's even more natural to want to talk about what's going on in our lives, etc. I'm a pretty private person myself and if I have nothing to contribute or add to a conversation, I simply keep quiet and continue on my merry way. It's incredibly off-putting to see people bashing lurkers and it's another reason that keeps me from posting and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way. Even if I did reach out to the people who're doing this, at the end of the day, they probably won't change their point of view just because one person and hey, can't force nor do I expect them to.
    Change is only natural and the best thing we can do is embrace it.
    Anyway... just my
    "She says nothing at all, but simply stares upward into the dark sky and watches with sad eyes, the slow dance of infinite stars." -Neil Gaiman

  11. #131
    Junior Member 5upern0v4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just came here to say that if I was someone who regularly purchased limited edition lipsticks at 15$ and sold them on eBay for 80$+ , 45$/year would only be a small business expense.

  12. #132
    Senior Member brunettespylove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    199
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you for this post. I am new here and have not felt like posting much due to the nature of the postings from certain people. Such as getting berated when asking a Question that might have been asked before, seeing as the threads are always 100pgs long

  13. #133
    Senior Member keridabeenfabb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    428
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by highheels View Post
    Suspect in what way? Why all the paranoia and suspicion? I think she was a makeup lover like the rest of us and made the unfortunate mistake of joining a forum when drama and paranoia and hostility were running high, and was subsequently chased away when some people openly questioned her character and reasons for being here. It was insulting and embarrassing to watch it unfold. We were not ALL newbies at one point? Did anyone question your motives for joining or, the timing of it? Why not assume the best about people until such time as there is evidence and facts to say otherwise? I want everyone to get their items just as much as the next person, but to assume the worst about someone simply because of the timing of when they joined is ignorant and unfair. I'm not saying you personally did that, but others certainly did, and openly. Not all newbies and lurkers are here to deprive you of your goodies, ladies and gents.
    my goodness thanks so much for this! I'm a newbie and I think this speaks for a lot of us!!
    Every gloss is a chance to shine




  14. #134
    Senior Member valkolak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    694
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I disagree with this. You haven't removed any clique problem; you've created a clique of members who can afford to have a membership. Count me out.

  15. #135
    Senior Member User38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    8,880
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume this is for the MAC threads? this kinda reminds me of the old days when the bickering and pestering got out of control. This made me stay out a lot too. Frankly, my ;personal life was a mess -- and coming into a battlefield was not what I needed or wanted. Somehow it settled down but it's just human nature sometimes .. and the MAC threads move too rapidly.

    I try to stay out of MAC threads especially for the new releases -- people forget, IT's JUST MAKEUP!!



  16. #136
    Senior Member joanita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    167
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for trying to bring peace and revive what used to be a fun atmosphere.

  17. #137
    Senior Member SlugPower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    369
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have tried getting into MAC due to all the hype (when the flagship store opened in my country) but the sale assistants were horrible (it wasn't just once, I went there three times) and the products didn't really dazzle for the price that they are (rather pay for Dior, whose SAs are always putty in my hands). Plus, I feel like most people who even support MAC, whether they are hoarders or not, are guilty of perpetuating the company's loathsome practices... and are part of the problem. They are providing a service to me and I'm paying for it, so I should be the one being cattered to and not the other way around. Such MAC, with their piss poor service and their silly exclusives isnt my cup of tea in the slightest.

    Just so we're clear: this change doesn't affect me. You can check my posts, there won't be any in the MAC section and there will never be one (you can even check if I ever lurked if the software supports that, which I haven't either). So all of that said. I can safely say whatever without being looked at as having any kind of agenda.

    I have experience in boards with 'exclusive' zones. They are useless. This is done to keep certain people out, but they will always infiltrate. If hoarders can advance so much money to buy entire collections of makeup, then they have enough money to buy a subscription. Some worthy people move elsewhere because they are always the ones who can't be bothered. I wouldn't pay to have information on makeup for example, no matter how much money I'm willing to pay for the product I'm getting. Plus, all the information leaks eventually, because that's the fate of 'exclusivivty'. The ebay hoarders aren't going to be fazed by any of this, because even if they come here for information (which I doubt, no offence) then they'll just adapt to the conditions. No offense to the admins and the method they came up with, at least you're trying to solution the problem, but this is useless.

  18. #138
    Member latoyamo83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote:Originally Posted by boujoischic


    I wasn't being negative I was saying other members read through the threads because we enjoy them. Reading the threads responding and participating is what brings is closer as members but were being told people are cliquey? She saying she doesn't want to and feels upset if someone doesn't catch her up. I have helped other members and I'm well aware I don't have to but if you don't wanna read the threads why join.


    I don't think that is what her post said. But okay. I have been a "silent" member on this site for about 11 months now. I don't read all the post, because majority of the time members get off topic anyway. I do the exact same thing, I do not try to catch up on threads because if you ask a question that was asked on page 30, but the post is now on page 155, some of you all act like the person has broke the law, and reply with "so and so has already answered that"...who cares? I really wish that women could get along and not jump to conclusions and tell people how they should think or feel. It really takes up too much energy to be negative.

Display all images
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •