A game: Justified or Hormones?

Kimberleigh

This is a game I've been privately playing with myself for the last week and a half. I'm going to let you ladies help me play...I'm pregnant (11 weeks tomorrow!), so that's where the hormones are coming from in this little game I'm playing. This is really my life, so it's not necessarily game, but if I don't joke about it I may kill this person. I wonder if you can blame killing someone on hormones.
hmm.gif
j/k!

Scenario 1: A woman I work with has bronchitis and has been sick for the last 9 or 10 days. She came in last Wednesday hacking and wheezing, was off Thursday, and came on Friday around 10:30a. Although she's sick, it's doubtful she's contagious however she stands over my desk and coughs her damn head off. Here's the problem though. I have a VERY large desk. It's about 6 ft long on one side, and my computer sits on another desk that's about 3 ft long (it's "L" shaped). I need 6ft because I basically balance checkbooks all day long, sort of. I have folders of accounts, and I have the receipts to all of their purchases. Every month, I match up the documents to a monthly operating statement for about 80 different accounts. I have to spread out quite a bit because some of these people spend a LOT of money. A LOT (some of them spend about 80k a month)!

Sickie McCoughsalot doesn't understand that my desk is just that. MINE. If I'm working on something, she'll come over, pull a file and rather than going to someones empty desk (or her own), she slaps it down on what I'm working on covering up what I'm doing. She says nothing. Today, she pulled something down to look at, and covered up a letter that I had signed on department letterhead that needed to be mailed out. She took one of my good (favorite) pens and proceeded to make a long mark through something on top of the letterhead. That particular pen BLEEDS through paper. I damn near knocked her down trying to get the letterhead away from her and said, "Hey, be careful! I don't want to have to re-do this". She just laughed and walked away. (Hormones or justified to be pissed?)

Scenario 2: I do know (and for whatever reason, THIS irritates me too!) she eats at my desk if I'm not around. She does it to anybody who's out for the day, but she won't eat at her own fucking desk. It's just weird. I'd never go and sit at someone else's desk. Especially to eat food. It's just...rude! (Hormones or Justified to be pissed?)

Scenario 3: I've mentioned this, but I do these little updated reports that let the faculty know how much money they have in their grants every month. I do it in an excel spreadsheet, and then I put it in the tray for mail that goes downstairs. Everyone else (except Sickie) picks up ALL the mail to take downstairs to main office (where campus mail and USPS picks up). I watched her today, flip through the mail and LEAVE ALL OF MY REPORTS AND WHATNOT, in the tray to go downstairs. She's going that way, but she can't be bothered to look for their mailboxes (which the dude that runs the main office can HELP her). She picked up the mail she intended on taking downstairs and took it back to her desk for whatever reason, so I got up, grabbed my stuff and took it downstairs so that she would still have to make the trip downstairs to mail off whatever she had. (Hormones or Justified to be pissed?)

FWIW, this is all about the same woman. So, Hormones or justifiable???

Ms. Z

Justified.

Does she know you are pregnant? If she does, she should know not to be around you if she is contagious. If she does and still does it she is very inconsiderate.

You may want to bring these things to her attention or bring it to the attention of your immediate supervisor.

Good luck!

Kimberleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLoves2Shop
Justified.

Does she know you are pregnant? If she does, she should know not to be around you if she is contagious. If she does and still does it she is very inconsiderate

Yeah, she knows I'm pregnant. Everyone in my office does. :) I don't think she's contagious though. She's been on antibiotics for at least a week, but I think whatever she has is just lingering. So far, everyone I've talked to has agreed that I'm justified in being irritated.

I just think she doesn't like me, and I'm getting quite a bit of attention being pregnant. I don't think she likes it at all (I'm arm-chairing psychology, of course), b/c she's mentioned that's she's jealous (she's 49, and has never had kids...apparently she's always wanted kids too. Which makes me feel kind of bad).

Lissa

Completely justified. She'd piss me right off too, and I'm not pregnant or particularly hormonal atm.

Particularly just laughing and walking when she'd nearly messed up your letter. Rude rude RUDE!

MACATTAK

She sounds lazy & rude. I once had a co-worker who would always come to work sick (she never ever missed a day). I don't care what your work ethic is, if you look like death warmed over, you really need to stay home. It really pissed me off, because (of course she never washed her hands or covered her mouth) everyone else would get sick & it would keep going around. She once even had the balls to say, "If I feel bad, everyone else should feel bad." The real reason she came to work, was because she had no life & hated being at home, so everyone else suffered for it. Anyway, those type of people piss me off too, so you're not alone.

Beauty Mark

She sounds like a bitch and I'm not pregnant/PMSing/particularly pissy today. She needs to learn some respect.

Kimberleigh

I'm really happy to hear this because sometimes I'm not sure if I'm being being overly sensitive or what. My next step is to figure out how to deal with it. I know that in my irritation, I can't talk to her right now. I'm not even sure who, in my office, I can talk to this about because I'm afraid they'll think I'm just being petty. I'm not a complainer at work, so I just don't know what to do.

MACATTAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberleigh
I'm really happy to hear this because sometimes I'm not sure if I'm being being overly sensitive or what. My next step is to figure out how to deal with it. I know that in my irritation, I can't talk to her right now. I'm not even sure who, in my office, I can talk to this about because I'm afraid they'll think I'm just being petty. I'm not a complainer at work, so I just don't know what to do.

You can always say something to her like "Don't you have a desk, or where are these crumbs coming from" or make it noticeably obvious that you are backing up when she is coughing up a storm. You can play it off like you are kidding with her....I know it's not the most straight-forward way to handle something, but sometimes people do take a hint.

Simply Elegant

All justifiable in my opinion. I think this woman needs more than just subtlety or a hint. If I were you, after I'd calmed down, I would tell her to respect my space and to stay away until she's better and more respectful.

CaraAmericana

Justified
See I can be revengeful and I think, and this is by no means my advice really, but I would have to do the shit back to her. Sometimes I think people have to had it done back to them in order to realize the annoyance it causes.

Example: in my office we have to work reports of hospital patients and my team has an alpha split, so like I have a-c. Anyway she always works my accounts off this report before I get the report but the annoying thing is she works random ones. Like WTF? So a month later I grab the reports first and worked her part of the alpha but only every other one. So she got the report and saw what I did and would you believe she APPROACHED me?!!!! She asked how come I was in her assigned accounts and I asked why she goes in mine. She looked at me crazy and then mumbled something that I never did quite understood and walked away. She stopped.

Ms. Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaraAmericana
Justified
Example: in my office we have to work reports of hospital patients and my team has an alpha split, so like I have a-c. Anyway she always works my accounts off this report before I get the report but the annoying thing is she works random ones. Like WTF? So a month later I grab the reports first and worked her part of the alpha but only every other one. So she got the report and saw what I did and would you believe she APPROACHED me?!!!! She asked how come I was in her assigned accounts and I asked why she goes in mine. She looked at me crazy and then mumbled something that I never did quite understood and walked away. She stopped.

thmbup.gif
clap.gif

Ms. Z

Quote:
Yeah, she knows I'm pregnant. Everyone in my office does. :) I don't think she's contagious though. She's been on antibiotics for at least a week, but I think whatever she has is just lingering. So far, everyone I've talked to has agreed that I'm justified in being irritated.

I just think she doesn't like me, and I'm getting quite a bit of attention being pregnant. I don't think she likes it at all (I'm arm-chairing psychology, of course), b/c she's mentioned that's she's jealous (she's 49, and has never had kids...apparently she's always wanted kids too. Which makes me feel kind of bad).

It's very sweet of you that you feel bad for Sickie McCoughsalot, that means you have a good
heart.gif
. But she has to understand that her situation is not your fault. You may have to bring the things she's done to her attention w/o bringing up/accusing her of being jealous. Best wishes.
th_hug.gif

Kimberleigh

Today, I watched her go through the mail again...and leave my stuff in the tray. AGAIN. I waited for her to go out the door to the stairway, picked my stuff up and waited a second or two until I knew she made it down the three flights of stairs. I passed her in the hallway, glared at her, and in a fit of rage went right into the HR person's office in the main office. I formally lodged a complaint. I included all three of the above mentioned issues.

Come to find out, she's not working up to expectations and they've had other minor complaints from someone in my office (there are a total of 5 of us...it was easy to narrow down who complained besides me). My supervisor (a separate person from the HR gal) is also aware of other problems with her not being a "team player" for our office. Needless to say, they're looking for a way to get rid of her.

VINDICATED! (although, I think it's sad she's going to lose her job in our office. I work for a university; they won't fire her from the university just from our dept.)

MACATTAK

Quote:
Today, I watched her go through the mail again...and leave my stuff in the tray. AGAIN. I waited for her to go out the door to the stairway, picked my stuff up and waited a second or two until I knew she made it down the three flights of stairs. I passed her in the hallway, glared at her, and in a fit of rage went right into the HR person's office in the main office. I formally lodged a complaint. I included all three of the above mentioned issues.

Come to find out, she's not working up to expectations and they've had other minor complaints from someone in my office (there are a total of 5 of us...it was easy to narrow down who complained besides me). My supervisor (a separate person from the HR gal) is also aware of other problems with her not being a "team player" for our office. Needless to say, they're looking for a way to get rid of her.

VINDICATED! (although, I think it's sad she's going to lose her job in our office. I work for a university; they won't fire her from the university just from our dept.)

Good you complained. Funny to find out that someone else complained too. It is sad for her to lose her job, but if she was doing everything correctly this wouldn't even be an issue.

frocher

Totally justified, I feel sorry for her being lonely and losing her job. But that doesn't excuse her behavior.

Latest posts