Airport luggage theives

xxManBeaterxx

I had a connecting flight from Honolulu to Chicago then Chicago to Newark. My plane arrived 45 minutes late and it couldnt make it to my connecting flight in time... so somehow my luggage got lost in the Chicago airport. When the airport finally found it 3 days later, 30% of my crap was missing.

Webcam, hawaiian chocolates, 6 tops, 2 jeans, 2 dresses, a few assesories... The clothes alone lost me $1,400. And to think.. I was worried about them stealing my mac makeup.. so i put it as carry on..
th_rolleye0014.gif

stronqerx

The same thing happened to my cousin and her husband when we all went away to vacation. Thing is, I am not sure if they had a connecting flight or not, I don't remember. But only one of her 3 luggages came and they had to keep going to the airport to see if the other 2 would 'show up'. One showed up eventually, and there was stuff missing from it. The other one never did. The other luggage, sadly was basically a luggae of expensive gifts for our family in our country. It had none of our personal belongings in it, but everything was brand new clothes, jewlery, ect. You never know maybe people at the airport can open them up and see what's in there and just steal it (employees most likely). I was so terrified when I went on vacation cause I had to change planes, and didn't want my stuff to go missing, but thankfully it didn't. Sucks! I don't think you're allowed to put locks on luggage anymore, or am i wrong?

Lauren1981

omg i HATE thieves!!
sweetie i am so sorry that happened to you! i always worry about that happening whenever i travel because you never really know WHO goes through your shit even when your stuff doesn't get lost!
can't you hold anyone liable??
this sucks major balls....

Willa

I havent taken a plane before, will do in September because I'm going to France, but did you put a lock on it???

ForgetRegret

ssad.gif
So sorry that happened to you hunnie...people are just rotten. Thank god you put your makeup in the carry on!!!! At least your MAC was safe. I know it sucks getting anything stolen, but I think I'd rather someone steal my clothes rather than my makeup. O_O

MAC_Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willa
I havent taken a plane before, will do in September because I'm going to France, but did you put a lock on it???

Can't. TSA won't allow it.

As far as traveling, I never pack anything in my checked baggage that I am not willing to loose. Sad, but that's the way it is. With the stricter carry-on requirements, DH and I sometimes just Fed Ex some of our stuff to our destination. It's not that expensive, it's fast and it's reliable.

ginger9

Gosh, so sorry to hear that. Will insurance cover the cost of things you lost?

Speaking of putting locks in luggage. I do it. Granted I put a little lock on it so that if customs ever decides that was not allowed or they wanted to check they can easily just clip the thing off. But I've never had that happen. I do the little lock cause it's better than not having one so that any idle person can open it whenever they want.

Been to NYC multiple times, on several Caribbean cruises and overseas to Asian with that lock. Interestingly enough, when I went to Bermuda someone tried to pry it open cuz it got stretched out.

I agree with the fact that you shouldn't bring anything you are not prepared to lose. Truth is there's always a chance you may not see it. I bring no jewelry, designer item or anything I treasure when I travel, so yeah, I do look sorta plain and not at my best lol.

Willa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Whore
Can't. TSA won't allow it.

As far as traveling, I never pack anything in my checked baggage that I am not willing to loose. Sad, but that's the way it is. With the stricter carry-on requirements, DH and I sometimes just Fed Ex some of our stuff to our destination. It's not that expensive, it's fast and it's reliable.

Didnt know that, thank you Ho for letting me know
yes.gif

I will not bring anything valuable in my luggages... nooo way punk!
I'll even bring my swim suit in my carry on
angry.gif

gildedangel

Actually in the US you can put locks on your luggage, but they have to be TSA-approved locks (they have keys to those locks or can snip them off.)
My family has always packed light, typically we carry just our carry-on if the trip is less than 2 months. Granted there are some occasions where you just need to check a bag.
I was in the UK with my father during the liquid explosives terror scare a couple years back, even a week after it happened they did not allow for a carry-on besides a small daypack. We put all of the gifts in the daypack and took it with us. When we got back home, the only thing of any value in our bags that was stolen were our professional caribbeners that cost $40 a piece. And my bag came back covered in some weird yellow powder.
I am sorry that your things got stolen; I have just learned to try to stuff everything I need in my carry-on.

iadoremac

wow that sucks but ideally i know that even the airport advises not to put jewellry and valuables in luggage personally i try to stick to just shoes and clothes and i carry my laptop and my gold jewelry including my mac in my carry on. if i am going on a short trip heck i pack my shoes in my carry on bc i'd be pissed if someone took those lol

booboo39

Quote:

I used to work there, lasted a month. I was disgusted by the thievery. They have tons of keys to most commercial locks & legally have the right to cut any lock! I put my shoes & makeup on my carry on. I pack my expensive good clothes in a garment bag and make DH carry it on board. Only items that will not be a big deal if stolen go in our check in luggage!

MAC_Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gildedangel
Actually in the US you can put locks on your luggage, but they have to be TSA-approved locks (they have keys to those locks or can snip them off.).....

True, I just see those as not even having a lock. A shitty breakable lock or one with a standardized key really doesn't do much. There isn't a point to it. I completely understand and appreciate why TSA does that, but it still sucks.
ssad.gif

Don't even get me started on the protocol of flying with a handgun in my checked luggage. That's utterly craptacular. But again..I understand.

MAC_Whore

Quote:
It sucks because with Air Transat, the carry on luggage size are ridiculous ¬¬

Just pack your q-tip, Barbie clothes and thimbles and quit complaining!
lol.gif

Willa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Whore
Just pack your q-tip, Barbie clothes and thimbles and quit complaining!
lol.gif

Damn, it's very small you know!
I was planning on buying makeup over there but if I can't trus the registered luggages, how will I be able to bring the pretties back, 100g max
angry.gif
angry.gif

I haz a mad naow

LMD84

yeah i always take anything of worth in my carry on luggage just in case. and in my case ia always pack cheaper clothes to go on holiday in and cheaper shoes. stuff that still looks nice, but if anything did happen it wouldn't be too much of an issues

HOTasFCUK

Quote:
It sucks because with Air Transat, the carry on luggage size are ridiculous ¬¬

I went to Cuba with my boyfriend and his family in May and yes, the carry on size for Air Transit sucks! So did their flight, food, service, & flight again since i though we were going to die on the way home!

I never knew about the locks, i always lock up my luggage and so did my bf. Years ago when i went for a family vacation in Cuba, my luggage still didn't come out onto the carosol (sp?) so my cousin looked through those little curtains to see if it was coming and two stupid airport workers were trying to break my lock off! My cousin yelled at them and they came out and gave me the luggage and said go tot he desk because there is food in here. I brought some snacks because i don't like the food in Cuba. I was so pissed that they tried ripping my lock of that i ripped off the yellow sticker that had food inspection on it and walked out of the airport. Hmmmm next time i should put a padlock on there!

And speaking of stupid airport stories, on the way there in May at the Toronto airport, i beeped through the metal detector. I told the guy it was my belt but no, he made me take off my gold flip flops (which were leather not frickin' metal) and ofcourse i beeped again. I told him 10 times my shoes aren' the reason the sensor is going off but my bf told me to be quiet LOL

Annnddddd my brother in Cuba once put his sunglasses through the little x-ray machine and they didn't come out. When he asked the guards there, they denied ever seeing any. Well he looked in and found them put away on the side by one of them to steal them. He quickly grabbed them back! He also got in a lot of crap for wearing an Italia t-shirt there. They questioned him about where he lives and works (he has a Canadian passport) & he bitched to them he didn't understand Spanish. Also, me & my bf locked our luagge a lot of the time we were there because i've heard many horror stories of things going missing in your rooms over there. Luckily everything went great for us there. And don't get me wrong, Cuba is by far the best vacation destination!!! I'm going back in the fall!

Sorry to get so off topic up there! Sorry to th OP about her luggage. I'm always scared mine will gt stolen or robbed. I try to get all my valuables at home or in my carry-on but i'd be very upset if all my clothes and stuff went missing. Is the airport ot airlne going to give you money back? I know they sometimes do that if you let them know what's missing and the value.

celestia

When I went overseas, I had to pack 3 months into 20kg...

I always put locks on my flights; even more reason when I have connecting flights. Not because air crew may tamper with it, but zips shift around and it is reasonably forseeable that they can unzip during transit.

Air crew generally (not saying all air carriers) treat your luggage like a domestic fight and sometimes 'fragile' labels don't really do much more than help you identify your bag on the luggage carousel XD So when you pack, be cautious about what might actually break when other bags are being loaded ontop of yours.

Advice in a nutshell? Always get insurance. ALWAYS. In that same scenario, i'd be slightly happier knowing what I bought could be repurchased with money from an insurance claim. With paraphernalia and HTF rarities- they would be much harder to replace because of the affiinity you hold with the older item. With that in mind, I usually lug those into the cabin ;D And if it's too big for that - it stays at home!

Latest posts