Anniversary trip from Dallas

neeshie

I'm visiting my sister in dallas next month and my husband will be joining me later.
We're in Dallas for our anniversary and so I wanted to go away for a couple of days while we're there.
My sis is already taking us to san antonio so i don't want to go there - does anyone have any recommendations as to what other places (nice and romantic ones) are there we can visit that are a few hours drive from dallas?

Shimmer

There's a beautiful B&B in Denison called the Inn of Many Faces. It's really stunning, the grounds are amazing, I got married there. If you like that type of atmosphere you may check it out. It's literally straight north of Dallas by about an hour and half. You can google their website.

medusalox

For a day trip, there's always the Scarborough Renaissance Faire in Waxahachie. I worked and lived there last Spring, and it's a really fun place. If you go, swing by the coin mint and tell the girls that Rita says hello.
smiles.gif

Shimmer

Only thing about Scarborough is it's often either really really effing muddy, or it's blisteringly hot...one or the other. There's no middle ground around here, unfortunately.

The Dallas World Aquarium is really awesome. It's pretty...and it's in downtown, so you're right by the West End shopping area. It's also a hop skip and jump from a MAC pro store.
greengrin.gif

Fort Worth is cowtown, you can hit up the Stockyards. Not much going on there compared to in January, but it's pretty cool. Fair Park is a neat place to visit.

If you're looking for something more "romantic" where the two of you can get away and be wrapped up in yourselves, NE TX has a plethora of options that are really really romantic and are "away" from the city hustle/bustle.

*Stargazer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
Only thing about Scarborough is it's often either really really effing muddy, or it's blisteringly hot...one or the other. There's no middle ground around here, unfortunately.

I have never understood why, after all these years, the people that put on these festivals consistently schedule this one in April/May in Dallas. Is someone out there still unaware of how freaking hot it is by that point in time? Duh, move it to October!

If you aren't already going to spend some time in Austin, go there. So much to do there.

Shimmer

Austin's a 4 hour drive from Dallas, but totally worth it.

October isn't any better really...it's either raining, windy/cold, or summer still has us in its grip.
And, the State Fair is in October, so that'd be conflicting. :/

*Stargazer*

I was thinking about the SFOT after I posted that. I just can't imagine there isn't some better time. Every memory I have of going to Scarborough Faire is miserable LOL

Shimmer

I've never gone because my brother went one year and literally came home looking like he'd slogged though miles of mud. Turned out he had. Nooooo thank you.

kaliraksha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
Austin's a 4 hour drive from Dallas, but totally worth it.

October isn't any better really...it's either raining, windy/cold, or summer still has us in its grip.
And, the State Fair is in October, so that'd be conflicting. :/

True, about Austin but you can make a stop before you go to San Antonio as it's about an hour away from San Antonio. San Antonio is actually quite nice for romance/restaurants and a bit of history.

neeshie

Thanks so much for all your help so far

Living in England I forget how far places are in the US...I was wondering what the texas coastline is like...and how far that would be from dallas...
i had a look at that b&b, unfortunately its not available on the days we plan to be there.
Otherwise it seems like austin and san antonio are my best bets

Shimmer

Yeah, Galveston is a 7 hour drive at LEAST, though of course, other coastal places are available.
The Texas coast isn't that pretty. It's really brown, we get the crap from the Florida shores washed around on our side, so for as pretty as FL is, Texas gets the ook from...basically all of it.

San Antonio is an AMAZING city. Do yourself a favor, if you drive down there, find a place to park your car, then take a cab anywhere you plan to visit during the day, a) yeah, you're paying a cab but b) you don't have to figure out SA's stupid road system. It was designed like someone handed a 4 year old a plate of spaghetti, told him to turn it upside down and stir, and they used where the noodles fell for the roads in Bexar County.

Check out Lake Travis in Austin. If you're the adventurous type there's a nude beach that is just BEAUTIFUL.

*Stargazer*

Galveston is the first beach that I remember visiting as a kid. I thought all ocean water was brown until I was 19 LOL.

SA driving IS bad. But I hate driving in Houston way more. That place gives me serious road rage.

Shimmer

I refuse to go to Houston. I don't even need to visit that place. EW.

Granny Lou's is on some seriously beautiful grounds. And, if you like TexMex (who doesn't? seriously?) there's a really good restaurant there in town.
Carleton House is another gorgeous BnB. The house used to be like seriously run down, and amazing time, love, and money was put into refurbishing it. REALLY nice.
smiles.gif

Latest posts