Are there any cult favorites that just don't work for you?

cno64

Okay; I'll admit that I saw a similar thread on Makeup Alley, but I thought it would be an interesting and fun topic for discussion here.
Are there any makeup/skincare products, in any line, that everyone else seems to just LOOVE, but that don't work well for you?
I guess one of mine would have to be MAC Russian Red lipstick; I like it, but don't adore it like everyone else seems to, because it just doesn't look true red on me; it looks more burgundy/maroon.
And while everyone else seems to rave over MAC's Sweet Sienna pigment, and I had every expectation of loving it too, it just looks mildew green on me.
And I can't abide Maybelline Great Lash mascara.
Everyone else?

- I've been hearing about L'Oreal Voluminous Mascara a lot recently, and it just kind of clumped and dried out fast for me.

- Great Lash is so boring, it doesn't clump, but it doesn't do anything extraordinary either.

- Don't know if this counts, but I can't wear MSF's and I hate it! Everyone just loves them, but they break me out, it really sucks haha

- Clinique Dramatically Different Gel Moisturizer, did nothing for my skin but I know a lot of people on youtube love it.

n_c

Again, don't know if this counts, but MSF's just don't work on me! I hate that i cant wear them. They make my pores look HUGE and Im allergic to some ingredient in them. SUCKS!

xKiKix

for me so ceylon just doesnt seem to work at all, i'm nc15 and everytime i tried to use it i look like i got in a horrible accident at the tanning salon.

and that pretty much turned me off msf from then on.

ginger9

Another non user of MSF (highlight kind) over here.

Lustre/Glaze l/s formula. People love them, I don't. I like my l/s super pigmented and the least times I have to reapply the better.

Cover Girl Last Blast Mascaras. Flakes immediate on me.

Gitter anything. I'm not a glitter girl, more power for those who are.

MAC nail polish. I personally don't feel they are worth the price.

Tahti

MSF's and Glaze L/S. First makes my pores magnified, the second gives no colour whatsoever on me cause I have very pigmented lips. Grrr.

Spikesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by xKiKix
for me so ceylon just doesnt seem to work at all, i'm nc15 and everytime i tried to use it i look like i got in a horrible accident at the tanning salon.

This color looks horrible on me too. I heard so many great things about it and then bleh.
th_dunno.gif

BBJay

Great lash is just super wet on me. I feel weird putting it on.
And believe it or not, Urban Decay Primer Potion and I are not good friends.
I've given it chance after chance and I still crease.

rbella

Diorshow Mascara was awful on me. Also, Parrot, So Ceylon and Bitter look kinda awful on me. And the worst is Dubonnet. I can't wear that to save my life!!!

HeavenLeiBlu

NARS Orgasm and her baby sister Super Orgasm, Maybelline Great Lash, Cover Girl Lash Blast ( so far, but I have the luxe formula, so that may be it), Stereo Rose MSF

XxXxX

I don't ever buy anything from the drugstore expect maybe something twice a year but... years ago I tried Great Lash bc it was supposed a Makeup Artists best friend.... and it was totally wet and yucky looking for me too! My friend had Lash Blast and I tried it and it was like utter crap, didn't do a thing.

Fresh's Sugar lipbalm is a cult fav but I only like it, I can't make myself love it! It soaks into ur lips good, but its so soft like the stick is leaning inside of the tube, and I don't want to break a $22 chapstick...

XxXxX

Oh yea and NARS Orgasm! Its nice and everything but there are blushes I love so much better (I miss Clinique's Lucky Clover so much
ssad.gif
) I have the regular Orgasm and its still pretty glittery which is okay but not really for a blush and I think all the glitter messes with how the color distributes on my cheek... I wore it the other day and my fiancee said it looked really pretty though
th_dunno.gif

XxXxX

Sorry to keep posting but I keep thinking of stuff! Evian's facial water mist spray... I got it and its okay, kinda similar to the purpose of Fix+, but I was really disappointed to realize later that the only ingredient is really only Evian water!!! I figured it might have added some cucumber or some kinda nice extract but no its just water! In a mist can. That cost like 11 dollars cuz I got the big can.

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBJay
And believe it or not, Urban Decay Primer Potion and I are not good friends.
I've given it chance after chance and I still crease.

I use and love Urban Decay Primer Potion, but it doesn't do diddly squat for me unless I lightly powder my super oily lids before and after I apply the primer.
As long as I do that, PP works like a charm.
I discovered this trick by accident once when I got ahead of myself and powdered right after applying sunscreen, and before applying anything else.
At the end of that day, it occurred to me that my eyeshadow looked exactly the same when I removed it as it did immediately after I'd applied it.
amazed.gif

So I tried this repeatedly, with the same results.

Back to topic: A lot of people love MAC's Maroon pigment, but on me it just looks flat yuck brown.
th_dunno.gif

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbella
And the worst is Dubonnet. I can't wear that to save my life!!!

That is one I, too, was going to name!
The few times I've forced myself to wear Dubonnet in public I've gotten loads of compliments on how it looks on me, but ...
I. Just Do. Not. Like. It.
I loathe it a bit less when I pair Red Enriched Cremestick with it, but I'm not sure that I'll ever completely make peace with Dubonnet.
And I just yawn when I hear all the raves about MAC's Creme D' Nude lipstick.
It well may be fabulous if that kind of shade suits you, but I HATE nude lips on me.
The only way I'd be interested would be if I knew that MAC was including a $100 bill inside each tube.
Even then, I'd swap the lipstick itself away.
lol.gif

VintageAqua

I really would love to wear woodwinked eyeshadow but I feel like it gives my eyes a very jaundice effect. If I pair it with other more intense colors I can make it work, but I almost never use it because it's so much effort.

Also, myth makes me look like a corpse. My lips are so pigmented that myth on its lonesome is a similar color to my face. Yuck.

Last one, SFF is too heavy and melts right off my face. I replaced Revlon Colorstay and it works like a charm!

hawaii02

VG II lipstick looks downright awful on me as does Odyssey. Both were just way too dark. Rimmel's Jungle green eye pencil gave me black eyes

Latest posts