beckham :banned size 0

little teaser

Former Spice Girl Victoria Beckham has banned size zero models from promoting her clothing line.
The skinny singer-turned-designer is the latest fashion figurehead to clamp down on too-thin catwalk stars -- even though she sports a tiny figure herself.
When Beckham launches her new line of denim, she promises it will be modeled by curvier women.
A source tells Britain's The Sun, "Victoria wants to give out a positive image that you don't have to be ultra skinny to look good. Many of the models on the catwalk make young girls feel insecure about their own bodies."
Although the star herself believes many models are naturally thin, she says, "I know quite a few models and they do eat. They are just naturally thin girls."

Source: SF Gate

prinzessin784

whoa she is soooooo obsessed with her body/weight it's not even funny, and she's twice as grossly thin as any model I've ever seen!

user79

Quote:
Originally Posted by prinzessin784
whoa she is soooooo obsessed with her body/weight it's not even funny, and she's twice as grossly thin as any model I've ever seen!

Yeah, lol, what a hyprocite! She's like skin and bones and gross fake boobs, hardly a good role model.
hmm.gif

lemurian

I'm not a fan of hers at all, but I have read some interviews with her where she's extremely honest and self-depricating about her poor self-image. In one she talked about how she didn't intend to be so skinny, just for her stomach to be firm again after having her kiddies, which I can certainly sympathize with. Some tummies just don't spring back, and I've seen other, non-famous women waste away trying to get back their pre-pregnancy shape
ssad.gif

Then again maybe she doesn't want any models thinner than her modelling her clothes, ha!!

Beauty Mark

She must be really messed up if she doesn't realize that she's way too thin and part of the problem.

It's nice she's has her heart in the right place

Raerae

You guys are crazy...

Your all up in arms over the fashion industry not using "normal" (whats normal anyways?) sized models... So they industry goes and makes changes, and now you jump all over the owner of the lines?

So what Posh needs to go get fat before she can say her line can't use thin models? Personally if I was her, and i saw all the negative feedback, i'd go back to using size 0 models.

Just shows that your "average" person wont ever be happy.

faifai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raerae
You guys are crazy...

Your all up in arms over the fashion industry not using "normal" (whats normal anyways?) sized models... So they industry goes and makes changes, and now you jump all over the owner of the lines?

So what Posh needs to go get fat before she can say her line can't use thin models?

"Crazy" is a bit harsh. I think the issue that people are talking about here is that Victoria Beckham wants to ban models who are a size 0 to promote a better image, but is herself so thin that the sentiment comes across as hypocritical.

"Victoria wants to give out a positive image that you don't have to be ultra skinny to look good" - it's good in theory to promote the idea that you don't have to be ultra-skinny to look good, but her personal image is just that, ultra-skinny. It's well-known that she isn't that thin naturally (since she's been in the public eye for well over a decade). To the public, it looks like she's not taking her own advice.

"Many of the models on the catwalk make young girls feel insecure about their own bodies" - even though I don't think the "oh, models and celebrities are skinny and that makes me want to starve myself" theory is the ONLY reason, or even the MAIN reason, why some people do that to themselves, Victoria is in the spotlight far more often than any of the models working for her line will be. Her being in the media all the time probably does contribute to making young girls feel insecure, at least those who are impressionable enough to think Hollywood standards should (or even could, since so much of it is photoshopped/specially photographed, lighted, angled, edited, etc) apply to everyone.

Not that many people follow high fashion, where the models are usually the thinnest and get slammed the most for being desperately thin. Most people will have no damned clue who Snejana Onopka or Vlada Roslyakova are, or the models who died from anorexia recently, but they'll know who Posh Spice/Victoria Beckham is.

People here cannot help but see Victoria Beckham, Nicole Richie, Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen, Lara Flynn Boyle, Lindsay Lohan during her skinny days, Kate Bosworth, and the rest of the dangerously thin crowd splashed all over magazines, tabloids, and even occasionally in legit news. While Victoria's got a good idea here, to me personally it'd be much more positive if they could promote overall health. Because, really, there are naturally skinny models who are a size 0 and are getting excluded. And there are people like Victoria Beckham, who are clearly not healthy even if they aren't necessarily a size 0.

lemurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faifai
"Crazy" is a bit harsh. I think the issue that people are talking about here is that Victoria Beckham wants to ban models who are a size 0 to promote a better image, but is herself so thin that the sentiment comes across as hypocritical.

"Victoria wants to give out a positive image that you don't have to be ultra skinny to look good" - it's good in theory to promote the idea that you don't have to be ultra-skinny to look good, but her personal image is just that, ultra-skinny. It'd be like Scrooge McDuck saying you don't have to be wealthy to be happy while he's swimming around in his giant vault of gold coins.

Indeed, and we all know that she wasn't always so skinny. I personally am not in favor of banning skinny models, I think it's just silly. But in this case it is a little bit pot calling the kettle black
winks.gif

faifai

lol, you caught my Scrooge McDuck analogy! I tried to edit it out as quick as I could because I thought it sounded silly, but ya got me.
smiles.gif

Bernadette

I think that's great. I agree that she herself is way too thin and it's kind of silly coming from her. But, I think that any little bit helps and at least she is doing something.
I've been really glad to hear about the fashion industry taking steps against having these sickly thin models. I mean, 5'10" and up and a size 0, are you kidding me? It's just ghastly.

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurian
But in this case it is a little bit pot calling the kettle black
winks.gif

Not really, you can tell by her sentiments that she really doesn't believe that being skinny causes other people to have issues. She's only doing this because people are getting on the industry's case about skinny models. So she's supporting the movement out of PR reasons, not her personal beliefs. And I dont think it's really her obligation to make sure other people feel good about themselves.

And while we'll have to agree to disagree that she looks sick, I dont think that being selective of what, and how much you eat means you have any sort of a ED. Portions in this country are so out of whack right now I dont think most people really know what a "Normal Portion" is. And it's defeneteley not a $6.00 Burger, with extra large fries and a extra large soft drink. Or a #3 at McDonalds 5 days a week for breakfast. A sight I see daily at my office by people who probably dont need to be eating an order of extra fries.

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernadette
I mean, 5'10" and up and a size 0, are you kidding me? It's just ghastly.

It really depends on the individual.

lemurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faifai
lol, you caught my Scrooge McDuck analogy! I tried to edit it out as quick as I could because I thought it sounded silly, but ya got me.
smiles.gif

I thought it was a great analogy!!
greengrin.gif

lemurian

Quote:
And while we'll have to agree to disagree that she looks sick, I dont think that being selective of what, and how much you eat means you have any sort of a ED.

Actually, I never said I thought she looked sick, but I think the majority consensus is such. People can be VERY thin and healthy, it just depends on the person. But in her case I think we all remember how she looked in the Spice Girls, and she's now just a shadow of her former self. In her case, it is certainly not "natural"
winks.gif

As for being 5'10" and a healthy size zero, that's quite a stretch. Most of us don't have any concept of what person of that size actually looks like. Being 5'10" myself and a slender size 8 I'd have people tell me left and right that I should be a model, but little do they know just how FAT I'd be considered in the industry.

Healthy bodies come in all shapes and sizes, and it's unfair to judge anyone based on how thin (or how fat) they are. As for the industry ban on extremely skinny girls, I think it's ridiculous. It maybe helps models, but excluding size zeros from a runway that'll just end up being walked by size twos and fours doesn't do much to help the average woman's self-esteem. The vast majority of women are short (5'5") and a size 12 or larger. If that body type were truly revolting, the worlds population would be much less :p

The fact is that people need to get over the idea that looks matter most. People need to grow up and value themselves for their actions and accomplishments, lest we wind up in a world of Paris Hiltons. Everyone is responsible for their own actions, including anorexics.

Beauty Mark

Quote:
You guys are crazy...

So what Posh needs to go get fat before she can say her line can't use thin models? Personally if I was her, and i saw all the negative feedback, i'd go back to using size 0 models.

Just shows that your "average" person wont ever be happy.

If "the source" is right that she wants to make a statement regarding how thin and unhealthy models are, it isn't about industry and playing to the PR.

She doesn't need to get fat, but I do find it odd that a celebrity, someone who is photographed and interviewed a lot, would try to incorporate that statement in her fashion line. Usually the people who are making these statements, either verbally or through actions, are not extremely skinny. I'm a big believer in embodying your beliefs, and it seems odd that a woman would acknowledge that dieting to extreme thinness is unhealthy, yet she's very, very thin herself and not by nature. Victoria Beckham, whatever size she is, doesn't look healthy to me, especially considering that she was once a bigger woman. This isn't Keira Knightly, who has always appeared thin since day 1.

Latest posts