Best dating/relationship advice you have ever gotten?

jenntoz

Don't put out too soon.
winkiss.gif

aziajs

I like this topic. My mother has always told me one thing:

"Never date a man you wouldn't marry" When I was younger I thought it was ludicrous but now that I am older I understand.

When I got a little older she also told me "never date a man who wasn't raised the same way that you were."

Those two things will be with me forever.

MAC_Pixie04

^^Haha that makes me think of Jason Lee in "Mallrats"

Why buy the cow when you can get the sex for free!

Anyway lol on a more serious note, the best advice I ever got was "Never let a man change who you are or let you forget where you came from."

That sounds so obvious right? You'd be surprised how many people don't keep it in mind. I mean, you obviously have to make some changes to transition your "single-self" into a "relationship-self," but if you let a man change what you believe in, your lifestyle, the way you talk and act and behave, and if you get so consumed in being what he wants that you forget who you were before him or where you were before you met him, it's going to be extremely hard to get that person back, no matter what.

M.A.C. head.

Before you love someone else, you have to love yourself first.

Don't make someone your priority, when to that person, you're merely an option.

You'll find what you've wanted when you STOP looking.

Beauty Mark

There are other fish in the sea.

I find that so applicable to so many situations. I also am not a believer in the "one true love/soulmate" thing, though

NutMeg

This is more applicable to all relationships, not just romantic ones. My mum told me once when I was pissed off at my little brother that I needed to make sure to watch how my actions affect others, and to treat him in a way that made him be the best that he could be. Basically, its made me analyze myself all the time when someone is bugging me, about how I'm contributing to the situation.

talste

Advice received from my cousin: You need to crash & burn a few relationships & learn from those mistakes to gain the experience & knowledge for when you meet the one.

so true.

Brittni

You will find the best relationships/love when you are not looking for/chasing it. Personal experience...

MACATTAK

My dad gave me both of these (weird as I never go to him with relationship issues)

Don't go by what a guy tells you, go by his actions.
Where is love? Love is where you find it.

xxManBeaterxx

Best dating advice... A lot depends on the type of guy and his individual personality.

Look at his behavior changes when hes with you alone or hanging out with his dudes. Does he still swoon over you infront of his boys or does he become insensitive and rude??

Hilly

I got this from a dude after we broke up and I was headhunting my next man-endeavor...

"Hope for the best, prepare for the worst!"

florabundance

this is gonna sound so pretentious but in Kahlil Gibran's the prophet, my favourite passage is about Love. it's just so..true and provides amazing perspective when you need it:

When love beckons to you, follow him,
Though his ways are hard and steep.
And when his wings enfold you yield to him,
Though the sword hidden among his pinions may wound you.
And when he speaks to you believe in him,
Though his voice may shatter your dreams
as the north wind lays waste the garden.

For even as love crowns you so shall he crucify you. Even as he is for your growth so is he for your pruning.
Even as he ascends to your height and caresses your tenderest branches that quiver in the sun,
So shall he descend to your roots and shake them in their clinging to the earth.

But if in your fear you would seek only love's peace and love's pleasure,
Then it is better for you that you cover your nakedness and pass out of love's threshing-floor,
Into the seasonless world where you shall laugh, but not all of your laughter, and weep, but not all of your tears.
Love gives naught but itself and takes naught but from itself.
Love possesses not nor would it be possessed;
For love is sufficient unto love.

When you love you should not say, "God is in my heart," but rather, "I am in the heart of God."
And think not you can direct the course of love, for love, if it finds you worthy, directs your course.

chocokitty

A friend told me "an ex is an ex for a reason". So once you break-up you need to cut your ties off so you don't bring that into your next relationship.

Although this may not apply to everyone, it worked for me. I have a girlfriend who can't get stop hanging out with her ex-bf that it's ruining her marriage. If she only would listen...
th_dunno.gif

Malena

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocokitty
A friend told me "an ex is an ex for a reason". So once you break-up you need to cut your ties off so you don't bring that into your next relationship.

Although this may not apply to everyone, it worked for me. I have a girlfriend who can't get stop hanging out with her ex-bf that it's ruining her marriage. If she only would listen...
th_dunno.gif

As you already said this works for you, but nay not apply to everyone:

I`m engaged to a guy I broke up with three times, just to find out that he´s "the one"
smiles.gif

Come to think of it, I never got many good dating advice, but I learned/am still learning from my mistakes.

I totally agree with something posted above by MAC_Pixie04:
"Never let a man change you!"
So many people (unfortunately mostly women) change just to please their BF. But if you have to change yourself to keep him he ain´t worth it!!!

Ruby_Woo

Never go to bed angry.

and this one I see applicable to many, its from the bible forgot the exact name and number though..

Let us not love by word or speech, but by truth and action.

Latest posts