• As of January 16, 2018, all posts in this section are moderated. Please engage with the community within the rest of the forums, remembering that you may not post your own tutorial links outside this section. Also remember to put your content in the proper space.

Tutorials posted outside this space will be removed. If you post a tutorial in this space and you don't make an effort to participate in the community outside this section, your post will be deleted.

Blush and Contour Tutorial

Tahti

Before I start, I must point out that this is a rough guide for contouring, they way I like to do it - not exceedingly subtle! Also, my cheekbones are flat and long, therefore my contour will appear long and low on my face. To make a contour look natural, you really have to find out exactly how the shadow would appear on your face. Most people say the 'fish face' is the most effective, but personally I don't think so - you will see hollows in your cheeks, but most of the time they will appear too low down, or in the wrong place altogether. Really feel under and around your cheekbones, to determine their shape. I find moving your jaw and mouth across, opposite side of the cheek you are looking at shows the cheekbone well.

An example of the difference - my contour will be long and not have much of a extreme angle. The darkest shadow will appear just before and underneath the apples of my cheeks. However, my sister has high planed, short cheekbones - therefore to make it appear natural, the darkest shadow will be closer to the start of her cheekbones and not near the apples of her cheeks, and at a far different angle. Instead of being on angle with her mouth though, it will curve slightly under the apples of her cheeks.

For interests sake, the products I've used are as following ;
- Illamasqua Rich Liquid Foundation in 105
- MAC Studio Fix Fluid in NC15
- MAC Coygirl blush
- MAC Pinch o' Peach blush
- MAC Strada for contour
- Stargazer Powder in White for highlight

Get two foundations, one that matches your skin and one just about 2 shades darker. Apply your base over a primer. I use the darker of my foundations and apply it with a light hand over and under my cheekbones and on my temples.

1. Depending on your skin tone and using a large fluffy brush, lightly brush a matte blush natural to your skin tone across and under your cheekbones. I flush pink, so I use a dark pink toned blush - however, if you have yellow undertones, a pink with peachy colouring may be more suitable. Using a smaller brush, sweep a darker brown-toned colour underneath your cheekbones (choosing the contour colour based on your skin tone), concentrating the colour on the place the shadow would fall deepest naturally. Use some lightly on your temples also.

2. Using a large eyeshadow brush, I blend a mix of the blush and contour colour, and concentrate the colour again on the area which the deepest shadow would fall.

3. Using a kabuki or large powder brush, blend the contour out. It's important not to over blend, as this will make the contour disappear and look strange. Blend it in small circles until the harsh line is just gone. Apply a highlighter colour on the tops of your cheekbones.

4. A clear idea of how I apply my contour - yellow is my highlight area, orange is the sweep of natural coloured blush, blue is the initial contour, and the darker blue area is the deepening of the contour.

Using a peach-toned blush to even out all the pink tones, I dab a small amount on the apples of my cheeks. I apply some more highlight at this point, around the area of my cheek next to my nose, and blending into the initial highlight to brighten it further. I also place some on my browbone, and on the edge of my jawline, and the centre of my chin. I also apply some translucent powder, to further blend my make-up, set my foundation and make my skin more even and matte - and there you have it!

banana1234

really detailed and informative, i'll try this and see how it works out compared to how ive been doing it, thanks tahti

Almost black.

Lovely and simple tutorial, thank you!
love.gif

starlaj

this is brill! i need to learn how to contour for my face and this tutorial will be ever so helpful, thanks again
smiles.gif
xxx

Beauty11111

This is very useful, thank you. I haven't used a darker foundation to contour but it’s definitely something I will try.

Latest posts