• We are currently in the process of rebuilding user permissions. If you find you cannot access something you've normally been able to, please wait until the rebuild process is completed (this message will be removed when it's completed).

Brush: 219 (Pencil Brush)

Colorqueen

Overall rating 5
Price value 4
Packaging quality: 1 (open ended plastic bag seems low class to me)
Buy again? YES

The pencil brush is a very different brush, I think it is unique to MAC. Shaped just like the point of a pencil, the brush is white goat hair and is very thick and fibrous.

This brush is good for small precise application of shadows in the crease or the corners of the eyes. I have even used it for smokey eyes to blend shadow out of liner.

The one drawback about this brush is that it does tend to drop a lot of pigment or powder onto the face. If I am very careful I can keep it light, but it still is very frustrating and I tend to avoid using it in certain hurried applications, unless I have something to cover the face.

The reason for this is that using a pencil brush often involves darker colors which are harder to clear off of the face, even if you use the usual tricks of removing makeup from the cheeks.

I still love this brush, and have not gotten the courage to try it with emollient based shadows, because I do not want to ruin it. The goat hair usually indicates to me that it was designed for powders anyway.

pumpkincat210

Brush: 219 (Pencil)

Overall Rating: 5
Price: 4
Packaging Quality: 5
Would you buy this product again? Yes

I love this brush for a smokey eye. I use it for eyeliner blending and crease blending. At $22 its worth every penny. I like to use Black tied with this brush and blend into the eye crease from the outer to inner.

CrimsonCountess

Brush: 219

Overall Rating: 4
Price [Value]: 5
Would you buy this product again? yes (and just might)

The majority of my brushes are not MAC but I do love brush #219. I use it to apply crease color when I want it to be just in the crease. I typically use it to apply color on my lower eyelid.

I rated overall as 4 because the bristles are white. Most of the color is washed out when I clean the brush but I can see slight staining. No biggie.

BaDaSs llTiNall

Overall Rating:5
Price:5
Packaging Quality:5
Would you buy this product again? YES

I use this brush for EVERYTHING!
Crease
Lower eyelid
and to fill in my brows.

geminia

Price: 5
Would you buy this product again? DEFINITELY!!

Use this brush for creasing, underlining . I LOVE IT!!!

lsperry

Would you buy this product again? Already have

I have 2 of these brushes. I use them for small detailed corner-eye applications and under-eye lining since it is the exact width I need to underline with. Love the tapering at the end because it gives me lots of control and feels very balanced in my hand. I wash my brushes with baby shampoo after each use; so, they never get stained.

effboysinthebut

Overall Rating:4
Price [Value]: 4
Packaging Quality: 4
Would you buy this product again? Possibly

I used to use this sole for blending shadows for about 3 years. THen I discovered the 224 which was easier to use. Now I either blend the lower lashline colors with this or apply lower lashline colors. Other than that it doesn't have much use to me. It's a good brush, just not my favorite.

Karyn

Price: 3

I have always had trouble applying my crease color. It seems to spread out too much when I use the 217 or 224. I didn't know what to do until my MA told me to try the 219 pencil brush. Well, she was so right!

I use to to apply the crease color now, and yes, I do have to be careful because a lot of color gets placed, but then my 217 or 224 comes into play to get the color distributed and blended well.

I also use it to get a bit of highlight at my brow and inner eyelid.

sofabean

Brush: 219 (Pencil)

Packaging Quality: 2

General Comments on this product: I like how this is a very precise brush, but it's not sharp and pokey. It's great for applying eye shadow to your lower lash line. It's also a great brush for the crease area.

maketotheup

Packaging Quality: 4

General Comments on this product:
I love this brush for the crease and for putting color on my lower lash line, however it is sort of rough and can hurt your eye. I haven't found a brush like it though.

cleung341

I use this brush everyday. It is a great outer V and crease brush. This brush is also good to put a little shadow right on the bottom portion of the eye. I would definitely add this to your brush collection.

eidetica

Overall rating- 4
Price- 3
Packaging Quality- 1
Would you buy this again? Yes!

This is a round version of the 239; round instead of flat with high end hog bristle and shorter than a painters round. A very sweet brush that I'm extremely fond of, I have two. And no two are alike! I thought it was just me being driven nuts by this looking through the jar at MAC Store, but that's it's deal... I think it could be more consistent.

That hog bristle is very resilient and has lots of snap. Will handle Metal X creams or other fat paints; the 219 will also line and smudge and do creases and is absolutely indispensable! Other brushes do these things but why have six if one will do most of it.

Only MAC makes the pencil brush as far as I know, and it's a cash cow. A bit pricey for what it is. All those plastic bags are most un-green, too. At that big a profit margin a box would be apropo but shipping with the bristle stiffened and keeping in covered containers in stores would be greenest. And could whittle some of the price down. Or they could spend more on quality control. One of mine is a bit eccentricly shaped. The other looks like the picture of the brush. Guess who's my favorite?

moopoint

Packaging: 3
Would you buy again: Yes

It took me a while to buy this brush because I thought my other smudge brushes would suffice, I was wrong. My other brushes were too pokey, the 219 is so soft and blends the lower lashline so beautifully. I used it for the first time this morning and I'm hooked!
I have yet to try it in the outer v/crease, but I'm sure it will be lovely there too.

NadiasCouture

Would you buy this product again?yes
I have the LE version of this,I use it for my crease color, I will be buying the full size version I am sure the results will excellent

thiscarmen

Overall rating 5
Price value 5
Packaging quality: 5
Buy again? YUP

The 219 is great for smudgint out eyeliner, and it's great as a crease colour as well, if you want the crease colour in a precise place. Also really great in the outer-v.

Suzye829

Overall rating 5
Price value 5
Packaging quality: 5
Buy again? Of Course!

This is a must-have for anyone who has a small lid area. I have this in SE and long handle form and it does wonders for my Asian eyes. I use this for the lower lash line, crease, outter v, inner corners of my eyes...it can do so much, you can't go wrong!

AngieM

Overall Rating: 4 Price [Value]: 5 Packaging Quality: 5 Would you buy this product again? yes!! I LOVE this brush!! I use it for the crease, bottom liner and the outer corner of my eye. The precision application is fantastic!!!