• We are currently in the process of rebuilding user permissions. If you find you cannot access something you've normally been able to, please wait until the rebuild process is completed (this message will be removed when it's completed).

Brush: 239 (Eye Shading Brush)

Colorqueen

Overall rating: 5
Price Value: 5
Packaging quality: 1
Buy again? ABSOLUTELY YES!

This is one of the most valuable eyeshadow brushes for pigments that I own. If you really want pigment to stay on, you put on a nice base, and then load up this brush and pat on the pigment. Very little spillage on cheeks, and nice coverage. One of the nicest brushes for pigment and shadows that you really want to load up on. No other brush will do this for me. Being white goat hair, it will stain, but all makeup pigment will do this to white.

mel0622

Price Value: 4
Packaging quality: 2
Would you buy this again? yes

Comments: i mostly use this unless i want my eyeshadow to look really bold. it picks up a lot of shadow so... yeah... you should buy it.

Hikaru-chan

Overall Rating: 5
Price: 5
Packaging Quality: 5
Would you buy this product again? Yes.

This is my favourite eye shadow brush ever.
Very dense bristles that pick up a lot of color, brush feel super soft and gives a smooth application, I can even use this to line the lower lid when I want a thicker line.
Reasonably priced too.

PreTTyAnGeL

Price [Value]: 5
Would you buy this product again? Yes

i didnt want to buy this brush since i had the 242 brush. boy was i wrong!! this is way better when applying e/s on my lid. It captures more e/s and puts it on much more intensely then the 242 ever did!!! Also when im trying to blend in tight places, this is what i reach for. great brush!! a must own also!

effboysinthebut

Overall Rating: 4
Price [Value]: 4
Would you buy this product again? Probably

I use this brush to put pigments on. It's easier to pat them on with this brush than swipe them on with others. It also helps with fall out. Other than that I use this to put my base shadow color on. It's a lot quicker being that it's a flat "paddle" brush.

Dark_Phoenix

Great for packing on shadow with high color payoff! I use it with my VP and Frost shadows especially (like Jest and Silverring) because it helps me get a very uniform look. A must have brush.

jenNpaci

I owned an SE version of this before I purchased a full size one. Its a good basic brush, picks up color well, makes e/s apply boldly.

sofabean

Brush: 239 (Eye Shading)

Price: 4
Packaging Quality: 2

General Comments on this product: This brush is more expensive than most eye brushes because they know that everyone practically needs this brush. It's also really soft and packs a lot of color on your lids.

HockeyChick04

Packaging: 5
Will I buy It again?: For sure yes

I had a brush that I loved loved loved that slowly started dying. Long story short I tried brush upon brush to replace it and the 239 was absolutely perfect! I was so happy when I found it. The only thing I'm not terribly fond of is the white bristles, they remind me I'm a slacker who doesn't wash my brushes enough. The bristles are stiff enough to hold a lot of color and let you create the shape you want with the shadow but soft enough you don't feel like you might accidently gouge your eye out. My HG brush!!!!!

Yeah I now have 2, I love this brush!!!

MsMaryMAC

Packaging Quality: 1
This brush is the truth! It packs on the color like a dream!

just_jill325

Price [Value]: 4
Packaging Quality: 4

this is my favorite eyeshadow brush, so much so that I have 3 of them!!! and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one! It just applies the perfect amount of colour, easy to use, multi functional..it's just an awesome brush! must have for any beginner with MAC! definitely!

ovi

Would you buy this product again? Yes!

One of my favourites! Girls, I've got a question for you... Few days ago, I've noticed that inscription (MAC's logo) on the brush (all of my brushes actually) has worn away... is it normal? thx for the anwsers! xoxox

looovemac

Would you buy this product again? Yes!!!!!

This is my favorite eyeshadow brush too, I'm saving to get one more!!!

fintia

Packaging Quality: 4.5
Would you buy this product again? Yes!!!!! but not for a while since I have 2

I gave a 4.5 just because mine feels a little srcatchy.. ironically my HK 239 does not feel like that LOL

ckalicka

Price Value: 5
Packaging quality: 3
Buy again: Yes, yes and yes.

I bought this brush along with 217 (my two first MAC eye brushes ever) and I don't know how I've lived without it until now. My days of using sponge tip applicators ( yuck) are now far behind me. It is perfect for just packing on color but is also pretty versatile. I use it to line my lower lashline and it does a pretty good job. Love this brush so much.

MsWonderful

Would you buy this product again? YES!

I have two of these and I think I need another! Love it!

malaviKat

Overall rating: 2.5
Price Value: 3
Packaging quality: 5
Buy again? Unlikely!

A couple of initial notes:

1) Packaging of brushes has never been an issue for me. I know a lot of people have a problem with the plastic sleeve but I'd prefer that MAC keep its packaging to a minimum for waste reduction purposes. (Toronto is in the middle of a garbage strike!) :p

2) I am totally in the minority with this review!
It is likely that my 239 is a dud because it simply does not perform the way everyone else claims. I think it's important to acknowledge this up front.

The 239 tends to be the "go-to" brush for most people when applying eyeshadow and, in particular, when trying to apply shadows intensely. I have found however, that my 239 pales in comparison with my 242s; it does not pick up as much colour and if I try to I only "eat" up my eye shadows.

My 239 is also not as soft as people claim. The bristles are quite scratchy and sometimes feel as though they are "stabbing" at my eyelids. LOL (Unfortunately, I bought this brush quite early in my collection so I initially assumed I was using it wrong!) I realize now that brush hairs should never stab you, no matter how you use the brush. :p

The 239 is also one of very few eye brushes that is comprised of white hairs. Unfortunately I don't yet understand the benefit of this. This brush needs to be washed immediately following the use of strong colours/pigments (such as Basic Red) or staining will occur. This has actually deterred my use quite a bit.

Overall, the 239 is an "okay" brush. I recently purchased a Sigma Makeup set and have found that their 239 performs quite well. As it is inspired by MAC, it leads me to conclude that I was just unlucky when I got my 239. Eventually I'd love to give the 239 another chance... but probably not for the $40CAN required.

NadiasCouture

Overall quality-5
Price Value-5
Packaging Quality-5
Would you purchase product again? OOOOH YES!

This is my second MAC brush that I have purchased besides the color forms brush kit.
I own a bunch of eyebrushes from other companies, but I LOVE this one I will be buying another one in the next couple of weeks!

moopoint

Overall Quality: 5
Packaging: 5
Would you buy again: YES.

This brush has very dense bristles that pick up a lot of color. Easily packs on color without fall-out. One of my best buys.