Can someone please talk some sense into me?!

marusia

Argh, I have a gambling problem...big time. It just started recently, but I can't stop for some reason. Am I the only one? Any suggestions? I've tried the free sites, but I just can't seem to quit! It's starting to become a real problem.
ssad.gif

LMD84

I've never had a gambling problem or anything like that. but i do think maybe you should stop cold turkey before it starts getting really out of hand. Can you block those websites from your pc? Or perhaps think that everytime you start to want to gamble, maybe do something else distracting like clean a room of your house or go out for a walk. I hope this helps hun
th_hug.gif

LittleMaryJane

Like Lou, I've never had this problem before so I don't know how helpful I could be but... Maybe it would be useful to set aside so much money from a paycheck or however you want to do it and gamble with that but once that's gone, don't let yourself touch your non-gambling money?

I'm not sure if it would be that easy, I know gambling can be a pretty serious problem.

Simply Elegant

Be careful with trying to treat it on your own. Sometimes people think they are successful in trying to get rid of an addiction when they've replaced that one for another. Like when smokers start compulsively eating for example. Sometimes it can be hard to detect this because you need to eat to live of course.

I thnk maybe you're missing some excitement in your life possibly and go to gambling because it can be a thrill to win money and the uncertainty of winning brings excitement to you maybe.

I think you should quit cold turkey. Have others intervene. If your husband or friend sees you on there, turns off the computer for example. It can take more than one person to really stop an addiction.

I also think you should find other things to do that make you happy. Maybe a trip or do something you've never done before that seems exciting to you. If you do something active, you'll have your mind and body engaged so it will be difficult to resort to gambling.

Let others monitor you so that you don't go back to it.

xFlossy

I believe that Gambling is somewhat as the same thing as Smoking. Being an ex smoker myself (I smoked for 10 years) I found having the support of friends and family really helped, as did having coping strategies for when I got the cravings. I used a lot of self discipline in quitting aswell. I quit almost 3 years ago now and I still find I get the occasional craving, particularly when I am stressed or anxious. I find keeping busy and finding other things to do to keep my mind of my addiction really helps.

Perhaps you could block those kind of websites with some sort of NetNanny? Or get someone to install it and use a password that you wouldn't know.

It's great that you are recognising the problem now, rather than further down the track, maybe you can nip it in the bud before it becomes a full on problem.

Good luck!
smiles.gif

moonlit

Try to get a new hobby- start going to the gymor maybe you could try gardening/ cooking

Learn a new language..

Gambling can be addictive so get out of it before its too late.

MzzRach

I agree with the suggestion to block gambling sites from your computer so you won't be tempted.

BeccalovesMAC

my hubby was really bad into online poker a couple years back. I pretty much had to plan something every day to get him outside of the house for a couple months until he forgot about it. Try to stay busy with other things. I used to make him cook dinner for me every night and i even went as far as turning the internet off. I used to take the mouse and keyboard with me to work if he was staying home. i made it really inconvenient for him for about 3 months. Now, he doesnt ever want to. I hope this helps.

martiangurll

Quote:
Originally Posted by marusia
Argh, I have a gambling problem...big time. It just started recently, but I can't stop for some reason. Am I the only one? Any suggestions? I've tried the free sites, but I just can't seem to quit! It's starting to become a real problem.
ssad.gif

Keep track of the cash you lose and imagine how many lovely products you could buy with it instead? Find something else to obsess on (like organizing your stash and making Excel spread sheets of stuff you have and/or want)

laylalovesmac

I have struggled with a slight gambling problem, and I have to say, I completely agree with all of the advice above.

Quit cold turkey, block the sites from your computer, and channel the energy into something else.

But, I don't recommend replacing it with shopping or anything like that. That was my fix, and I am still in debt from that time in my life (more than a year and a half ago and this was just from one month)

My therapist recommended that I find a safe song of sorts, so whenever I get that impulse, I just play a song that puts everything in perspective. You have to find other hobbies or places to channel that energy.

And I like what someone said above: think about what that money or time could be used for.

I know this probably wasn't much help, but just thought I'd try.
th_hug.gif
th_cheerup.gif

marusia

Thanks all for your help. I finally told Bobby and blacklisted my account. I've also gotten rid of my Visa checkcard until I feel that I'm responsible enough, which will be no time soon. It's really painful. I feel like a drug addict who needs that fix and can't get it.
crybaby.gif

Thanks for the support, it's much appreciated.

katred

Specktra Bestie
Good luck with beating this addiction and kudos to you for recognising it as a problem. A lot of the trouble that addicts run into is that they don't recognise that something is wrong. It's great that you have your husband's help on this. I would agree with all those who suggest filling your time with other things. Every time you start thinking about gambling or wanting to, try doing something else.

spunky

i just checked out the UK government site for gambling and they link to this:

GamBlock - We Block Access to Online Gambling

it is expensive, but all things considered it could be a small price to pay.

from what you've said though, it seems you have enough sense to acknowledge you have a problem and admit it to your partner, which is the hardest part. with his support i'm sure you'll beat this. good luck!

BeccalovesMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by marusia
Thanks all for your help. I finally told Bobby and blacklisted my account. I've also gotten rid of my Visa checkcard until I feel that I'm responsible enough, which will be no time soon. It's really painful. I feel like a drug addict who needs that fix and can't get it.
crybaby.gif

Thanks for the support, it's much appreciated.

How u been holding up?

Latest posts