Christmas and other Holiday Foods!

Dark_Phoenix

What are your favorite Christmas or other holiday foods?

I love panettone, pandoro, mulled wine, Christmas logs and anything that involves sugar.

Juneplum

my Jamaican Christmas faves are sorrel, rum cake with rum butter & rum fruit cake
smiles.gif
mmm yum!

NutMeg

My favs are fondue (oil fondue with steak bits and my dad's sauce), turkey, my dad's stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, my mum's punch, and garlic bread. Oh god, I'm getting fatter just thinking about it.

CantAffordMAC

Honestly...I don't like christmas dinner too much. We have honey ham, macaroni and cheese and maybe rolls and a vegetable. Its just not special to me. I could go without it lol.

But we used to always have a little gathering on Christmas Eve and my mom would make this punch of Ginger ale, cranberry juice and orange sherbert and that punch was always so good. We'd also always have wheat thins with port wine cheese spread-ohhh my lordy. Good stuff.

And last but not least--I always loved that old fashioned hard Christmas candy. Not ribbon candy, but it was an assortment of fruit flavored candies. They were so good and I can't find them anywhere.

purrtykitty

Mine is silly because it's not really holiday food, but I loooooove my mom's Cheese Strata (it's a cheesy egg and bread bake, since not many people know what it is)...anyway it's been a staple Christmas breakfast for as long as I can remember.

And, of course I love holiday cookies and candies, but I also love Hickory Farms Beef Stick (although now that I can get it year 'round...it's kinda lost its appeal).

lipstickandhate

Fried plantains. Tostada y cafe con leche. Pig marinated in salt and sour oj. I also love all of the peppermint ice cream and brownies that everyone puts out this time of year. And I have a neighbor who makes homemade candy every year- it's like toffee with chocolate and peanuts on the outside. I want to know what it is but she won't give me the recipe b/c she says I'll get sick of it. Which is true.

And rum cake. I'm a fiend for rum cake. I used to make them all of the time but I can't do that anymore now that I'm older :/

Dizzy

Home made Zeppoles. My Gramma only makes them once a year and they're I-could-die-happy-if-i-had-these-everyday good.

alien21xx

My mom's yummy carbonara pasta, kare-kare (beef in peanut stew, it's a really delectable Filipino dish!), spinach cheese spread and french bread.

BUT I'm not spending Christmas in Manila, so I guess we'll be having stuffed turkey and salads instead this Christmas and I'll save the stomach space for our New Year Eve dinner.

Willa

Unfortunatly, my grand mother (my mothers side) don't like to cook so it shows in her food. The meat pie are kind of dry, no taste... so 3 years ago I started to cook some entrées and deserts so that me, my sister and my cousins can eat and enjoy lollll

Its now a tradition for me to bring something. I really love making my cheese & bacon rolls, cocktail sausages (in a sauce), brocoli/cauliflower maple & nut salad. I also make a really good recipe of crostinis, with sun dried tomatoes & melting brie cheese.
drools.gif

My father's mother used to cook a lot (she was a chef her whole life) and her salmon pie is DE LI CIOUS. I love it served with an egg sauce.

I wish I could taste all of your plates! Christmas food is so different from one place to another.

LuckyGirl3513

im actually not a huge fan of traditional holiday food except for my grandmas dressing which is like stuffing but im from the South and we call it dressing.. Its also cornbread based so its a little different than normal stuffing and its soooo good but takes the entire day to make

SparklingWaves

My Christmas dinner sounds exactly like CantAffordMac. You just need to add some homemade pies and cakes to the list. It's the same menu.

user79

We have different Christmas food in Europe than in N. America, but I have to say, I love it. We go alllll out and get the best ingredients and spend hours cooking. It's my fav part of Christmas tbh.

xsnowwhite

lol i love food anything!
Oh i absolutely love gingerbread cookies mmm and sugar cookies!
Also i went to this place and bought these chocolates from Germany that were shaped like santa clause and omg, so much better than american chocolate. Im not usually a fan of chocolate but these were SO good!

CantAffordMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklingWaves
My Christmas dinner sounds exactly like CantAffordMac. You just need to add some homemade pies and cakes to the list. It's the same menu.

lol yeah we have the pies and sweets, I just didn't add them to the list lol. I love the desserts of christmas..better than the dinner.

I don't even know if I've ever had a gingerbread cookie. But i'm going to buy some soon lol.

redambition

my favourite part is the fruit pudding with brandy custard.

i'm vegetarian (the only one in the family) so i don't eat a lot of the usual christmas fare.

Latest posts