Chucking your mascara after 3 months

animallover

Hi all,
i was wondering do any of you actually chuck your mascara out after 3 months which is the recommended time to do so, or do you use it till it runs out, just curious to if anyone does this or not..

angi

I chuck mine after about 6 months - which is what it recommends on my tube. Usually by then it's pretty much used up anyway

Bjarka

I go for around 6 months too...
unless it's been a cheap and cheerfull one, that gets clumpy, then it goes straight in the bin.
Had one that lasted a month before it went clumpy. I was not a happy bunny

wetwater

This may be a really stupid question, but how do you know once you use up a mascara? I always feel like you can always get more out of it. Is it basically just once it gets clumpy-ish and doesn't work as well as it used to?

Mabelle

I juts pitch it when it starts to dry up or un out, which is always before 6 months. i think my last one lasted 4 months

Babylard

i dont chuck mine exactly 3 months. i go by texture. they start to get dry and clumpy and you need to stick your brush in more because your lashes aren't getting coated very well. the idea about throwing it out often is because mascara is very prone to bacterial growth. i personally have some mascaras that aren't my everyday mascaras from beyond a year ago. lol if you want to extend your mascara's life, you could put a few drops of visine in it. not sure if an antibacterial type exists, but that would be more ideal.

MidnightGoddess

I throw mine out after they start drying out or clumping. I usually go well beyond three months except for my DiorShow which lasted exactly 3 months! excellent mascara, but lifespan is too short for that $$, I love my MUFE, which needs to be replaced right about now.

hello_kitty

I go by when it's all dry and clumpy vs. "expiration" date. Usually I go about 6 months, but I have used some things for a year or longer.

lilibat

I am paranoid, since I am so prone to getting pink eye due to a perforated tear duct, after applying I spritz the wand with 92% alcohol & wipe it off so I keep mine as long as it does not become gunky. I don't wear it everyday, so it ends up lasting me quite a while.

Of course the reason I don't wear it everyday is I have yet to find one I really like. *sigh*

FiestyFemme

I toss mine religiously every 3 months. It's usually about that time anyway (as it stops performing as well), plus I use drugstore mascara so it's relatively inexpensive.

GlamQueen21

I start to throw away my mascaras when they start to dry up. My MAC Plushlash mascara and Bare Escentuals Buxom Lash Mascara lasted 8 months and right now I'm using MUFE Aqua Smokey Lash Mascara and I love it!

Cleopatruh

I throw out after six months, which is usually when it dries up, and is pretty much empty. I use drugstore mascara though, Idk if that makes any difference.

User38

dry up, clump up, goop up.. all not good signs for mascara. I usually get them to last 6 mos + .. however I have had a few which were used so infrequently which I had for almost a year.

animallover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylard
i dont chuck mine exactly 3 months. i go by texture. they start to get dry and clumpy and you need to stick your brush in more because your lashes aren't getting coated very well. the idea about throwing it out often is because mascara is very prone to bacterial growth. i personally have some mascaras that aren't my everyday mascaras from beyond a year ago. lol if you want to extend your mascara's life, you could put a few drops of visine in it. not sure if an antibacterial type exists, but that would be more ideal.

Thanks for your replies

Thats how i go by my mascara, is when it doesn't go on my lashes and i seem to have to working it more lol.. so yeah i find i last more than 3 months, my plush lash is longer than 3 months , but then i've been buying MACs new ones that have come out which is Studio Fix Lash and the latest one Opulash, so at the mo i've got 3 on the go .. which i've never done before lol..
anyway....glad to see i'm not the only one..

Lebellabeauty

I know they say you should dispose of the mascara in 3 months for different reasons but to be honest I never do. I don't even pay attention to how long I've had it.

martiangurll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebellabeauty
I know they say you should dispose of the mascara in 3 months for different reasons but to be honest I never do. I don't even pay attention to how long I've had it.

Can't bring myself to do it. Not until its mascara mummy dust...

thiscarmen

Yeah I usually stop using it when it starts to clump/not look as fab on me as it used to. It's usually between 4-5 months.

sassyboo

I definitely keep mine for longer than 3 months...usually around 6 months which is about when it is starting to dry up anyway. The product is too expensive for me bring myself to throw out an item that is working perfectly well at 3 months.