• We are currently in the process of rebuilding user permissions. If you find you cannot access something you've normally been able to, please wait until the rebuild process is completed (this message will be removed when it's completed).

Cleaning Brushes 101 'Everything you need to know'

Jessica

Ok Ladies and Gentlemen,
Thanks for all of your great ideas and suggestions on the previous Brush Cleansing Techniques post!!! I'd like to compile another listing of what you have found that works for you, in terms of cleaning and sanitation of MU Brushes.
I found the information incrediably useful and would love to have the information accessable again.

sassy*girl

• To clean it really quickly, I use baby wipes without alcohol in them.

• MAs have told me baby shampoo is good for cleaning brushes if you dont have a Brush Cleaner.

• If you do have the [MAC] Brush Cleaner, you can dilute it with water =)

Hope that helps!

Alison

I use the MAC brush cleaner full strength. I pour a little bit into the palm of my hand and swirl the brush in it until teh soloution is really dirty. Then I dump what's in my hand and pour in fresh cleaner. I do this until the solution doesn't cloud any more (usually 3 times or so). Then I rinse the brush out well with water. i used to stand some of them up to dry but I have since learned better.

Julie

When I bought my MAC brush Cleaner the MA told me to get a clean paper towel or kleenex, put the Brush Cleaner on the brush and swipe the brush back and forth til it is clean. Then I rinse, reshape and lay flat to dry with the bristles hanging over the counter. This works great for me. When I need to clean a certain brush for color changes I use the MAC Cleanse wipes so that I don't overlap color on the brush. I just wipe the brush clean and in about a minute the brush is dry and I can apply the next shade.

solardame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelloGeek
I was told by the NARS SA to Wash them with gentle shampoo and lay them flat to dry. I make sure that the bristles aren't leaning on anything during that process. Works like a charm!

Agrees.. That's how I do it, but instead of shampoo I use Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash .

paige3838

I use baby shampoo and lay flat to dry after reshaping the bristles.... it's been working out pretty well for me so far.

banana

This is what I do: I make my own brush cleaner by taking an empty bottle of antibacterial hand soap that hasn't been rinsed out yet and I fill it with water. Shake it up, and voila- brush cleaner that I can squirt onto my brushes. I rinse the brushes in the sink afterwards.

sara13

I aim for washing mine once a week with baby shampoo and water, though I do spritz my gel eyeliner brush with brush cleaner after every use.

Krystle

How often do you wash your brushes?

I'm sorry if I am going a little crazy with the posts...lol. I just joined here last night and I am so excited that I have found a ton of people in one place that love MAC as much as i do! So I apologize if these questions have already been asked 1000 times. I will get caught up soon, I promise

ANyway, how often do you wash your MU brushes? Do you use the MAC Brush cleanser?

Awhile back, I was having a hard time getting paints and foundation off my brushes and the SA said she just uses antibacterial soap. I have been doing it since and it works like a charm

amazonna

Those are very helpful threads. Does anyone use cetaphil on their brushes? I wonder if it would work and be gentle too?

Thanks

FacesbyNiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelwings
I try to wash my brushes once a week, using my M.A.C Brush Cleaner.

:p

Me too..

Juneplum

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacesbyNiki
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelwings
I try to wash my brushes once a week, using my M.A.C Brush Cleaner.

:p

Me too..

me three

Shawna

I actually use Makeup forever brush cleaner (I am sure it is similar to the Mac brush cleaner) but I only wash them every 2 - 3 weeks. My MA said to consider a few things when wondering about brush cleaning:
who else uses your brushes (ie are you a MA)
how oily is your skin
how clean are your products (ie do you use your fingers in them too)
She said for me (very dry skin, only me using the brushes, and only brushes in my m/u) 2 - 3 weeks is fine. HTH

mspixieears

Ones for powder products - as soon as they start to look stained, every 3-4 uses. For ones used to apply cream-type products, immediately after usage. I'm a bit anal that way, and I don't want the stuff to dry and encrust the brush with hard-to-remove crap.