"Collecting MAC Tips"

eye80

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursee81
To find cheap items try CCO. I always find a good few things there and at 30% off you cann't go wrong.
I personally store my MU in one of those clear storage containers with the 7 drawers works pretty good for me.
I always decided what I want from a collection like previously said pick 3 things that you want. I usually don't do big hauls I buy a thing or two that I know I want after my bills are paid. HTH

wat is CCO??

eye80

Quote:
Originally Posted by YSLGuy
I used to do makeup freelance YEARS ago, and am just getting back into now and starting up my collection. I don't have any MAC yet but plan on getting some soon. These are great tips. Thanks.

I just bought a case from Lowes for my stash. It's perfect for what I have and would use to work offsite...and it was only like $25. I put my brushes in the sleeves in the top. Under the foam there is things to make your own sections and my palettes fit into those just fine

http://images.lowes.com/product/820909/820909601326.jpg

i m in luv with this box

abbyquack

- Shop the sales threads for deals/discounts on products you're looking for. I have often perused those and found brand-new, in box products that I bought full price, for $3-4 less than retail. A little digging can get you some great deals. Use good judgment though, on sellers, just as you would on eBay.

- B2M save up 6 containers and get a free lipstick (or e/s or l/g at fs stores). Great incentive to get rid of those empties for more to add to the collection!

- Work for Nordstrom/Dept Store that carries MAC - Now, if you've got other goals in life, this won't works so well, but keep in mind that employee discounts carry over to MAC if it's sold in that store. I worked for Nordstrom a few years ago and loved getting that little extra discount! But even if you can finagle a part time job there, you still get the discount! And once a year during the holidays, they up the discount a bit!

-Get a Nordstrom Visa Card- If you open a card and spend $100 on it that day, you immediately get a $20 cert. After that, you can earn points and once you earn 2000 points, you get a $20 gift certificate to Nordy's. You get 2pts per dollar when you shop at Nordy's (and sometimes 3pts if they're having a promotion), and 1pt per dollar everywhere else. Basically, I charge all my normal purchases on it - so going to restaurants, shopping, paying bills, plane tickets - it all goes on my Nordstrom card. It's a great way to earn a little extra towards MAC, and it's amazing how quickly the points accumulate (Plus, you can pay off your amount a day or two after you spend, so you don't accrue interest).

-CCOs Instead of $14.50 for an eyeshadow, how about $10? It's a little cheaper, and even better than getting things for cheap, you can find things that have been discontinued, sold out or were simply LE. I got 2 Lightscapade MSFs for $17.50 each, which is not only cheaper than they were originally, but if I wanted one now, I'd be paying $40 for it.

-MAC Friends and Family discount. This occurred during the summer; MAC offered 15% off on all their products (except viva glam)! It was the first time I'd ever heard MAC do such a thing, but I was able to get a TON of basics for much less than they usually cost. Sign up for their emails so you can find out about this sale when/if they do it again.

-MAC Pro Card - This is for pros only, but if you are, you can score a decent discount on MAC, instead of paying full price for everything.

- Train Case is a Must! - or some sort of protective, fire proof box. We spend so much money on our makeup, but don't think it's worth $225 for to protect it. I understand, it's a ton of money, but that doesn't mean you can't find elsewhere a fireproof container to protect your assets, right? So get something that will keep your makeup safe from water, fire, etc - it's probably one of the best things to do!

emeraldjewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyquack
- Shop the sales threads for deals/discounts on products you're looking for. I have often perused those and found brand-new, in box products that I bought full price, for $3-4 less than retail. A little digging can get you some great deals. Use good judgment though, on sellers, just as you would on eBay.

- B2M save up 6 containers and get a free lipstick (or e/s or l/g at fs stores). Great incentive to get rid of those empties for more to add to the collection!

- Work for Nordstrom/Dept Store that carries MAC - Now, if you've got other goals in life, this won't works so well, but keep in mind that employee discounts carry over to MAC if it's sold in that store. I worked for Nordstrom a few years ago and loved getting that little extra discount! But even if you can finagle a part time job there, you still get the discount! And once a year during the holidays, they up the discount a bit!

-Get a Nordstrom Visa Card- If you open a card and spend $100 on it that day, you immediately get a $20 cert. After that, you can earn points and once you earn 2000 points, you get a $20 gift certificate to Nordy's. You get 2pts per dollar when you shop at Nordy's (and sometimes 3pts if they're having a promotion), and 1pt per dollar everywhere else. Basically, I charge all my normal purchases on it - so going to restaurants, shopping, paying bills, plane tickets - it all goes on my Nordstrom card. It's a great way to earn a little extra towards MAC, and it's amazing how quickly the points accumulate (Plus, you can pay off your amount a day or two after you spend, so you don't accrue interest).

-CCOs Instead of $14.50 for an eyeshadow, how about $10? It's a little cheaper, and even better than getting things for cheap, you can find things that have been discontinued, sold out or were simply LE. I got 2 Lightscapade MSFs for $17.50 each, which is not only cheaper than they were originally, but if I wanted one now, I'd be paying $40 for it.

-MAC Friends and Family discount. This occurred during the summer; MAC offered 15% off on all their products (except viva glam)! It was the first time I'd ever heard MAC do such a thing, but I was able to get a TON of basics for much less than they usually cost. Sign up for their emails so you can find out about this sale when/if they do it again.

-MAC Pro Card - This is for pros only, but if you are, you can score a decent discount on MAC, instead of paying full price for everything.

- Train Case is a Must! - or some sort of protective, fire proof box. We spend so much money on our makeup, but don't think it's worth $225 for to protect it. I understand, it's a ton of money, but that doesn't mean you can't find elsewhere a fireproof container to protect your assets, right? So get something that will keep your makeup safe from water, fire, etc - it's probably one of the best things to do!

Reading this, I really really wish I lived in the US, lol!

Me and MAC

Set a limit of what you're going to spend on MAC a month, then make a list of the stuff you want. I usually get the stuff I want most the first month, then break it down like that.

retail_therapy

I don't stay in the US, so I don't have access to Pro Cards, or CCO.... But this is how I started collecting MAC (from around March 08).
1. Watch You Tube, check out what others are buying. Always do your research, be decisive about what colours suit you, and what works for you. Never buy anything just for the sake of collecting. I always buy something which I know I would use.
2. $$ wise, I set aside some kind of budget, if I went crazy hauling within a month, then I would not be spending on other stuff like clothes.
3. I store all my make up in 3 boxes, like those plastic DIY tool box. They are portable, sturdy, and not expensive.
4. Back to MAC, I got 5 or 6 lippies for free that way.

evah2003

First and foremost: Don´t fall for the hype!
There are items from every other collection that people get really pumped for before the release and if you get caught up in it, you´re tempted to buy it just because it´s a "must have"..even if you´d have never bought the thing if it hadn´t been for the hype..
I bought Parrot last year, because it is such a "must have" item...I don´t think I have used it more than twice. But it is a pretty colour to look at.

Know what colours you get the most wear out of.For example: I work in a bank, that rules out bright colours for 5 days of the week. So I just stick with the neutrals and softer colourful ones.

Storage: I have a few of those plastic drawers in which I store my makeup. And if I ever pluck up the courage to start depotting I will have a lot more space.. *sigh* I really like those trolley traincases that are like little closets on wheels. They ahve a mass of drawers and would come really handy when you move.
) Too bad you almost have to sell a kidney to afford one.

Ebay: I have bought quite a few things on ebay and so far I have been lucky and didn´t receive a fake. There´s a thread on here with trustworthy ebay-sellers: def. check that one out!! Also: it may sound gross, but: buy used products (well, at least pweder products that can be easily sanitized). Not only are they cheaper, but they´re more likely to be real MAC as well.

BTW: I am so jealous of CCOs, I wish we had them here in Germany...MAC is so expensive here..

phoebemakeup

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP_x
Such a helpful thread! Thanks a lot.

yeah that really was an excellent and HELPFUL idea specially since i started collecting mac less than 2 months ago and i want EVERYTHING MAC!!!!!
im addicted!!!
lol
its kinda bad!
xx

*TwilighT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxManBeaterxx
And always always always check the clearance bin everyday for some great deals.

i'd say if your just starting out, forget about past mac L/E collections. Move on with the new! The price of rares is not worth it, unless you really like the color or something. BTW the only way to find rares is to once again pray and check the clearance bin, it may take months, or it may take years.. depends on how lucky you get.

Does Mac have a clearance bin, or are you just saying clearance bins in general? I was just wondering...

Oh and by the way, these tips are very helpful!! Its fun to learn from all of you!

aziajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by *TwilighT*
Does Mac have a clearance bin, or are you just saying clearance bins in general? I was just wondering...

Oh and by the way, these tips are very helpful!! Its fun to learn from all of you!

She means the clearance bin section of Specktra where members sell their items.

VeXedPiNk

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyquack
Train Case is a Must! - or some sort of protective, fire proof box. We spend so much money on our makeup, but don't think it's worth $225 for to protect it. I understand, it's a ton of money, but that doesn't mean you can't find elsewhere a fireproof container to protect your assets, right? So get something that will keep your makeup safe from water, fire, etc - it's probably one of the best things to do!

This is a really good point. I'd never thought of fire proof storage... but if my place ever caught fire, there aren't many things that I would be more upset about losing. Actually, aside from my computer, I think my MAC collection is the most valuable thing I own haha.

And I know it can happen. I lived in a basement suite 6 years ago, and one night the upstairs people accidently started a fire that destroyed the whole place. Luckily I was in the midst of moving out and didn't lose much... and I wasn't into MAC yet :p

*TwilighT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziajs
She means the clearance bin section of Specktra where members sell their items.

ooooooohhhhhh..... Hmmm... I didn't know there was one
Thanks for letting me know!

Lizzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeXedPiNk
This is a really good point. I'd never thought of fire proof storage... but if my place ever caught fire, there aren't many things that I would be more upset about losing. Actually, aside from my computer, I think my MAC collection is the most valuable thing I own haha.

And I know it can happen. I lived in a basement suite 6 years ago, and one night the upstairs people accidently started a fire that destroyed the whole place. Luckily I was in the midst of moving out and didn't lose much... and I wasn't into MAC yet :p

My MAC collection is worth more than my laptop

Lyssah

^^ Mine's worth more than my two computers, or my first car... it's worth more than my engagement ring !! oooops!

cetati

A CCO is an outlet where Estee Lauder and all their companies (incl. MAC) sell stuff from out-of-date collections for ultra cheap.

And there's only one collecting rule from now until February...

BUY NOTHING. SAVE FOR HELLO KITTY.

nc79chick

This is so helpful. I'm not a complete newbie when it comes to MAC and makeup in general, but collaborating ideas is awesome!

princess_mel_xo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrinkgirl
Anyone know the number to MAC USERS ANNONYMOUS? Hope that helps.

Haha! I need that number too!!