Comparing NYX to MAC

lah_knee

so i know this is a mostly mac forum and all but even as a raving mac fan myself, i think the brand NYX deserves a little spot light. most everyone here uses Milani which is a nice drugstore brand. its good quality, highly pigmented and cheap. BUT not many people are familiar with NYX which is actually BETTER IMO than milani. and i think even cheaper at some places. I have made swatches of my NYX shadows that i own so that you can compare them yourself to MAC shadows/pigments and just see how similar they are to some of MAC's shades. not only are they similar but the textures are similar too! most are like veluxe pearl but a few others are like frost and veluxe and matte.

WARNING, picture heavy!

nyx1.jpg

Top-bottom:
Flamingo- similar to mac's Rose pigment!
Blondie- N/A
Kiwi- kinda similar to kelly green pigment!
Lime- Very similar lucky green e/s

nyx2.jpg

Tropical- similar to electric coral pigment
Hot pink- similar to pink vivid pigment

nyx3.jpg

Cool blue- similar to sky blue shadow/pigment
Cherry- VERY similar to bright fuschia pigment
Violet- similar to pink pearl pigment

nyx4.jpg

Clockwise:
Barely There- like a mixure of vanilla pigment and nylon!!
White- like pure white pigment
Black- like carbon but sooo much more velvety in texture
Silver- N/A

nyx5.jpg

nyx6.jpg

hope this has been helpful to those who want certain mac items but cant afford them or dont have access to them. they sell NYX online and lots of it on ebay. or you might be lucky and have stores around u that sell it! theres no set stores that sell it... it varies but i have found most places are small privately owned shoe and clothing stores. (forever 21 wanna-bes)

X-posted in MAC lj community

metalkitty

I agree, all of nyx'x eyeshadows are very pigmented while with Milani its hit or miss at times. Their lipglosses are really nice too.

Dreamergirl3

I love nyx when buying the vibrant colors. However, I have a smokey and neutral palette of theirs and its not very pigmented at all and hard to blend. But the bright colors are gold! Great comparison, thanks!

Juneplum

WOW! thanks 4 posting this lani.. i've heard u talk about NYX on lj b4, but i've never seen what they look like! they're very pretty and look very pigmented!

Bubbles12_98

I have 2 NYX shadows in the square containers like you do..I've pushed them off to the side, but maybe I'll try something with them. Sometimes I must come off of my make-up snobing *hehe*

lah_knee

ive pushed them off to the side because i have SO MUCH mac makeup
ssad.gif
i just hardly reach for it! but maybe some people who dont want to splurge on mac, can afford this brand. they have like sooooo many more colors than milani and have better pigmentation.

and pumkincat, you are right. it does! and violet has been out for a long time i think haha

cyens

I realy love NYX shadows. The texture is so smooth, well pigmented and longlasting, plus its cheap ( about 6$CND ).
I just which there was a larger color selection, there is a lot of bright colors but not enough neutral colors to fit my taste.

So far I own orange, champagne and golden.

I actually regret getting so many mac and spending so much money, when NYX got similar color for the same quality for 1/3 of the price!!!!

Next time I know where to look first, if nyx doesnt have-it, Ill go with mac.

Tai

Thanks for showing me these. I see NYX in local beauty supply stores all the time and totally passed them up. It seems like they're worth a second look.

darkbeauty27

I've heard that NYX Ocean is similar to Parrot. I have it but I never bought Parrot so I don't know how they compare.

astronaut

Okay so I was driving around new places around my area that I never bothered to venture off to today because I was bored and I went into this shopping center/plaza. They had three of those forever 21 wannabe stores right next to each other and the first one I walked into turned out to have every single NYX product on the website (except for the train case)! The singles were 3.99 and the trios were also 3.99 so of course I got the trio. I got three of them. I liked the colours when I applied them to my hand but now I have to see if they look good on my eyes. I'll let ya'll know and maybe post pics!
smiles.gif

I also have a question, is there a difference in quality between the trios and the singles??

velvet

i've read reviews on makeup alley that say the trios are less pigmented than the singles. but i have yet to try any myself.

stevoulina

lah_knee thank you very much for posting these swatches! If you buy new NYX eyeshadows, please post some more swatches!
smiles.gif

Latest posts