Cosmetologists, unite!

Caderas

Hey everyone! I'm just curious who in the forum has a license for the industry and what kind of jobs you've done, or plan to do!

Also.. what field/path did you go down? (hair, make-up, nails, esthetics, etc)

Thanks ladies and gents! <3

MissAlexisDDD

Haven't graduated yet buuuut, I'm in school currently.
smiles.gif
I really dislike doing hair, but I plan on doing makeup when I'm graduated.

macgirl3121

Hi~

I have been a licencsed nail tech for 10 years now. I have worked in salon. Right now I do mobile services pt since I have a ft job. Most recently I worked @ New York Fashion Week with Deborah Lippman's team for a desinger named ADAM's show. I plan to make nails my FT supporting career after my big move to the west coast this year.

xsnowwhite

im in cosmetology school and plan to do hair when im done i love coloring hair so hopefully i can get further with that

Caderas

thanks for the responses everyone! i'm currently in school with 2 months left, yay! (kansas has a 1500 hr license)

@macgirl3121 - that sounds really amazing! i bet you had a blast, for sure. where are you planning to move on the coast?

sinergy

Im a cosmetologist, three yrs, work as a stylist at a regis salon. ive always loved hair and makeup and finally decided to get my license a few yrs ago when we moved to follow my husbands job. i enjoy it very much, especially hair color, that is def. my strong area. I also would like to start free lance makeup...ive done a few wedding parties and prom makeup but havent delved into that area much yet.

MxAxC-_ATTACK

I have my license I've had it since 2003, I do not work in a salon environment.. and actually I really really hate doing hair. My school was a joke, so that could be why.

MizzMelroseMood

I would really love to go for nail art courses someday. I love doing my own hair but I don't think I'd ever go to cosmo school for hair, I've seen/heard of so many woman be rude and get crazy in the nicest salons lol. You really can't mess with a girl's hair vision or ur gonna get it lol. Hair color seems like a stressful thing to do because u never know what the outcome is really gonna be until u dry it.

Rachie285

I have had my cosmo license since 2005, and i have been doing hair and nails ever since. Currently i am out of the salon due to trying to relocate with my man, part of me misses it part of me does not. I really like to specialize in color and bio ionic services, as well as both natural and artificial nails. I am not a huge fan of cutting hair even tho i am good at, just is not as fun as a good color. As far as there being mean and bitch clients i agree their are some, but there are also great clients. Some of my clients i have had for years and we have gone thru deaths, divorces, marriages, children its amazing the bond you can create with your clientele if you let them. For me the pros out weigh the cons.

ShortnSassy

i've been a licensed esthetician for about 3 years now, and i just graduated cosmo school early march and am waiting for my license in the mail (yay!).

i've been a freelance makeup artist with mac cosmetics for 2 years, but i was doing makeup waaay before i was ever licensed, i think i started when i was 10. i just got a job working as an esthetician & stylist at a new salon opening in my town and i start next week! i'm stoked! eventually i want to move down to LA and attend a makeup school or just assist a senior artist to get more experience and ultimately i want to do runway makeup and film makeup.

sinergy

my big dream/goal is to get into theater hair and makeup and would love to do set work for photo shoots or movies. I have always loved hair and makeup and in the beginning my makeup obsession made me want to get into the industry but when i started learning about hair i loved it, and i have an absolute passion for cut/color/styling i still feel like i am in the beginning stages, im constantly learning something new everyday and i dont ever stop self educating myself the internet is amazing!
lol.gif

it surprises me on a daily basis how many people get their cosmetology license or have or are going to school to be a cosmetologist but dont like to do hair. I have at least one or two clients a week tell me they went to beauty school or used to do hair but it wasnt their thing
lol.gif
I guess its like any vocational program (cna, med or dental assistant) you can be licensed to do it but unless your willing to put the time or effort into, as in this case, building your clientele and marketing yourself, basically self educating yourself as well, you wont see the benefits of this awesome field. I love being a hair dresser and I really believe my passion for makeup gives me an edge cause when i do make it to that time when i am able to work on a production/shoot even weddings/proms/pageants Ill be in demand since i can really do both and will be able to definetley give them the best of both worlds.

MxAxC-_ATTACK

It wasn't so much building clientèle for me, it was more ... I hate doing hair, I hate cutting hair to be more specific... I still do it for friends and family.. but I just dread when those days come along.. I've done hair on production shoots before.. starting at 8 AM and working until 4 AM.. FTL.

macgirl3121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caderas
thanks for the responses everyone! i'm currently in school with 2 months left, yay! (kansas has a 1500 hr license)

@macgirl3121 - that sounds really amazing! i bet you had a blast, for sure. where are you planning to move on the coast?

End of July-ish. My husband has a job out there. They are letting him work from here until my oldest son graduates HS next month and my other 2 children wrap up their school year in June.

Caderas

I feel so bad because I'm less than 2 months away from being done with my hours, and I have no idea what to do with my license! I know there are SO many job opportunities within the field, and it's driving me mad, haha. I think for a while I might attempt working in a salon (hopefully an Aveda salon!), but I originally got my license to have a background in hair, while mainly working in make-up artistry! I'm only 20 though, so I think the salon will be good for a while just to get on my feet and see what I like. If anyone has any good pieces of advice, or perspectives, let me know!

GLAMORandGORE

i graduated in march, went to sb in april and failed my practical so now i'm waiting on my second date, and those of you who are liscensed, well you know how waiting on sb goes -____- i used to work in a salon for about a year and i absolutely loved it. since i didn't have my liscense i couldn't even touch clients unfortunately but i definitely learned a lot. i've been doing makeup for about three years now on the side. i do hair on the side as well. i just want to get my liscense so i can get into a shop already! grrrrr.

my plan is to work at a supercuts or something of the sort along with another regular job so i can build skill, speed, and funds hahaha. then i'll go back to my old salon, and then from there, who knows? i defintely want to focus on hair and do makeup on the side though for sure. my career is definitely what keeps me going every day. man i wish i had that one lady gaga quote memorized...something about not being able to cuddle with a career but it also won't leave you for someone else.

IDontKnowMomo

-waves- I got my license in general cosmetology in Minnesota about two months ago :3 here, I'm legally allowed to do hair, nails, and esthetics. I'm conisidering moving back to my home town in Kansas for a couple years to save up money since the cost of living is so much cheaper and I've talked to some high end salons that are pretty interested.

Caderas- what school do you go to? I was going to go to Xenon but got the chance to go to the Aveda institute of Minneapolis and I took it
greengrin.gif

Caderas

I just graduated a few weeks ago from Eric Fisher Academy in Wichita! that's a great opportunity going to Aveda!! I've heard their line is pretty good (except their cosmetics). we went on salon tours around Wichita and every Aveda salon we went into smelled WONDERFUL.
greengrin.gif
is your hometown around Wichita or more near Kansas City?

Latest posts