Disaster w/MAC depotting :(

Eye<3Colour

ok so i finally got me a mac palette to hold my e/s. i hate not having every color at my fingertips, and couldnt wait to start!! but after this disaster, i will never depott again
ssad.gif
depotting the quads was simple as pie, thank god!! but i totally ruined my freshwater and its now sitting in a clear container and my brown down and femme noir are severly hurt!! and will eventually just fall apart any time now
ssad.gif
after the freshwater disaster, i decided not to depott my anglecake and d'bohemia... sigh..

i dont know how you girls do it, but kudos to you. i wish i had someone here to do it for me!!!

pumpkincat210

I do mine in the microwave and then use a razor blade to gently pry it up from the glue. i messed up a couple of mine in the beginning too.

magenta

you can put your e/s back together ith rubbing alcohol as well. just mix enough alcohol into the powdered shadow to make it a paste, press it into the pan, let it dry completely. et voila!

roxybc

/\ I thought you weren't supposed to put metal in the microwave???

I've depotted 24 in one day on my first try and never had a problem at all. I used the candle method. Just be sure that the plastic is good and melted so the glue will be really soft, and then push the metal pan out from the bottom with a pen or nail. Once the pan is seperated from the plastic, you should really easily be able to get something underneath it to finish prying it out.

Eye<3Colour

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxybc

I've depotted 24 in one day on my first try and never had a problem at all. I used the candle method. Just be sure that the plastic is good and melted so the glue will be really soft, and then push the metal pan out from the bottom with a pen or nail. Once the pan is seperated from the plastic, you should really easily be able to get something underneath it to finish prying it out.

i will give that a try. but i think i will go by some JANE shadows and practice that method. i will also try the alcohol method. thanks!!!

IndyEMSkitten

Awww, that is awful. It took me a couple to get the hang of it, but luckily I didn't have any major disasters. Definately make sure the plastic is really melted if you use the candle method. If you try to rush it you may end up denting the pans and breaking the shadows.

Practice with some cheapies. You will love your shadows in pans! Plus, think of the B2M lippies you will get!

jess98765

Just a question about the candle method, if you burn it too long will it have any effects on the eyeshadow?? i.e will it burn through the metal and ruin the eyeshadow??? COs i'd like to depot mine, but scared of denting the pan..... if i leave it in the flame too long, i'm scared i might end up charring up the e/s- it is possible??

vloky

I think newer microwaves metal doesn't hurt them. My dad has a super high tech microwave that can sense when you put a slice of pizza in(and asks you how many slices..) and it actually has a metal rack in it. I think it's just the old ones you can't put metal/tin foil in.

asnbrb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess98765
Just a question about the candle method, if you burn it too long will it have any effects on the eyeshadow?? i.e will it burn through the metal and ruin the eyeshadow??? COs i'd like to depot mine, but scared of denting the pan..... if i leave it in the flame too long, i'm scared i might end up charring up the e/s- it is possible??

if you leave it right over the open flame for about 40 seconds, it should melt the plastic just about right-- until it melts through to the pan. i've depotted dozens and i've never burned the pan.

if you melt it like above, you can place it eyeshadow side down on a towel and press through the melted plastic with a pen. if it doesn't push out easily, melt it a wee bit more.

Joke

I agree that the candle method is very easy and I never had any problems too (only the smell from burned plastic is not so great
winks.gif
).

asnbrb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke
I agree that the candle method is very easy and I never had any problems too (only the smell from burned plastic is not so great
winks.gif
).

yeah, the smell and the black smoke usually send people out of the room. hahahaha

Hikaru-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess98765

The heat as no effect whatsoever on the e/s and the flame will not melt the metal (it can sometimes turn the bottom of the pan black but it's easily wiped off).
Take your time to melt the plastic and you should be fine.

kateisgreat

I had a depotting mess up too.
I broke my electric eel..not just a small crack but busted it into small chunks so now I rarely use it because it gets all over and has become a mess. So I'm saving my palette for pro only colors (chrome yellow is in there now all by its lonesome) or for if I get any in pan form off Ebay.

sigwing

When I first did some, the ones I had a problem with were ones I was not patient enough with and tried to pry them out before I'd really heated the plastic enough to try to bend it away to be able to pry the pan. The pan's glue on the bottom wouldn't have been heated enough either. I've always used the candle method, holding it over with a fork (one I didn't need to ever use again!), then placing it on an old towel & bending the edges of the black plastic away from the pan, then prying a tiny screwdriver (like you use to fix glasses or tiny electronics screws) between the black plastic and the metal pan. It comes right out, always with some glue still there so I can press on the square of magnet I have ready and it sticks. I've never left it over a flame long enough that anything happened to the shadow itself, and if there was any shadow disturbed you can use a dropper or something (even a drip off the end of a toothpick) to put a drop of alcohol on it and fix it!

I really feel your pain....we love our shadows, and it esp. hurts if it's something you can't easily replace if it ends up being a casualty. I think you probably just had the same problem of being excited to get them out of the pan too soon, like I did when I first was getting the hang of doing it. I found the directions here on this site, quite a while back now. I actually was lucky and only had a couple that had a chunk fall out, Plumage and Velvet Moss, and it was just off the top & side of it....not anything big.

Good luck to you! You're going to be a pro next time you do some, I just know it!!!

mspixieears

Ugh, my sympathies to you my dear! I recently just demolished my Plum e/s - first and hopefully only depotting casualty. I dare not attempt such an operation on any LE e/s!

amelies_mommy

Honey, use anything small and thin to pry the e/s from the casing. Then with a pair of tongs, hold the e/s over a small candle for about 30 seconds... once you notice the black plastic getting soft and twisting... stop. put it down and slowly pry the e/s out of the plastic holder. It should come out with np's at all. I've done this about 40 times and haven't lost one yet. If there's a bit of glue left on the bottom of the e/s leave it, just put your magnetic strip over it and its done.
smiles.gif

Eye<3Colour

well i did the alcohol trick and my freshwater is back in its pan. hopefully it will go on the same as before. im afraid its going to ruin the texture/look/application... how long does it take for them to dry. it came completly out of the pan so all of it was put back in. i prob did get to excited doing it the first time. sigh.. i should of known better!! im still to scarred to do my L/E's

Classic Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxybc

I've never had a problem with this method either.
smiles.gif
Goodluck if you muster the courage to try again.

ishtarchick

another very useful way is using a straightening iron (for hair) to melt the plastic insert. once you pry it out of the container, instead of using a candle, set the iron to me-hi temp, and let the insert rest on one of the plates, 20 secs and remove it with tongs, then use the tip of a pen to push the bottom, if it isn't soft enough stop pushing and put it on the plate again, that works wonderful for me, i depotted my 1st shadow like this and didn't have any misfortunes
smiles.gif

HTH!!!

Latest posts