Do MAC MA's REALLY hate it when we return things?

Kalico

I returned something to my MAC store a few months ago and the MA seemed a little snobbish. She made a big show of throwing the returned product in the garbage, like throwing a basketball through a hoop. I didn't know that returned products got tossed... Maybe I'm just being over sensitive but it seemed like she did it to be like, "Thanks, nice waste of product!"

Now I have to return a lipstick that makes me look dead. I wish I hadn't let the MA talk me into buying it (1n).

Anyone else get this feeling? Any MAC MA's out there who can offer input?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section!

MissVivaMac

We definitely toss things that are returned, but the only time it irks me when people return things is when they bought it on a day where there is a minimum purchase.

Also, even if they did buy it on one of those days, as long as they do an exchange I do not mind, but it is tough to watch someone get around the minimum purchase rule. Sometimes people just abuse our return policy in general! They return the most used looking things, and sorry, but the last thing I want to be is a rent-a-center for make up...gross!

We used to have a stamp we could stamp purchases made on those days so they couldn't be returned.

Anyway, back to your post, another reason it is hard on us when you return things is because when something is returned, it is taken out of the initial artists sales goal/sales that we have made.

winks.gif

liv

I haven't returned anything yet, but I am an obsessive shopper, so I usually overthink about things before I buy them, read reviews, look around on here, etc. However, I got close to returning Trax (I realized it made me look like I had redeye), but thankfully my sister had been wanting it, so I just gave it to her.

I know it's crucial to the artist's sales that things don't get returned, but honestly, sometimes they do put a lot of heat on people to buy stuff, or the customer is meek and will listen to the MA and maybe buy more than s/he really wants to, and then returns it. I know not all MA's are like this though; all the ones I've come across at MAC are very nice, try multiple things on me, without pressure to buy *everything* they used on me, and let me wander around and think about stuff before I make up my mind. I've even left the area, gone to other mall stores, and come back and made my purchases.

But yeah, people who bring back stuff they've obviously had forever/used a lot of....you shouldn't be able to exchange that. And the stories on here where people get makeovers for events and then return it all the next day....not cool.

smellyocheese

hmm... usually I'd think that returning a product would be annoying because of the paperwork and also dealing with the department store in terms of refund if the counter is in a department store.

lol. in my experience, returned products, if used or damaged, usually get sent back to the HQ and we have to fill in a complaint form.

fuzz

I bought a few things once and and my sister bought me the same things as she knew i wanted it.I returned it all back and the MA was really nice bought it.Even complimented me on how the blush would look amazing on me.

Meryl

Quote:
Also, even if they did buy it on one of those days, as long as they do an exchange I do not mind, but it is tough to watch someone get around the minimum purchase rule.

Who has a "minimum purchase rule?" I've never experienced that.

I think it depends on the store and on the MA. I've had MAs tell me to try it at home and if I don't like it, it can be brought back. I actually try not to return too often, because I don't want to become known as the customer who returns things, but I have done it on occasion and they are usually quite nice about it. Only once or twice, have I received some attitude... but as I said, I rarely bring anything back.

Oh... and if I do a return, it's only one thing, I would never return more than that. Returning a lot of items seems a bit much. There must have been something the buyer liked enough to keep.

Simply Elegant

Minimum purchase is for people who get makeovers and then need to spend $50ish on products. Returning them lets you have a "free" makeover and that's how people will get around it.

Anyway, I've had to return one thing and she didn't seem to mind but I still felt bad.

gigglegirl

I understand (and its happened to me before) where something looks alright swatched in store but doesn't look right when you get it home, but i feel guilty returning it (and have only done so once). There are some ppl (and I'm not trying to say its you) who habitually buy a ton of a collection, go home, and return more than they keep. its just sick to think all that gets tossed b/c someone couldn't make better purchasing decisions, and all that definitely adds up and we'll be bitching about it down the line when prices continue to go up.

I sometimes wonder if in North America we should adopt the more European policies I've heard discussed here where there would be limited allowances for returns.

Chikky

I had to return one thing to MAC ever. And it was because the MUA that sold me the stuff grabbed the wrong lipstick color. No biggie, but I didn't realize that until I was home, and (this is habit from when I worked at a different MU counter) wiped the lipstick on a tissue before using it... And it was a totally dark color when I'd decided to try a neutral! Hehe.

I felt awful because I'd opened it at all... Though I didn't technically use it, I felt bad. But they seemed really apologetic when I took it back. Though I wasn't mad. I felt more bad that I had to return it. I exchanged for the right color, though, too.

VioletB

I don't work for MAC.. but I do work for Lauder.

I will happily return anything (It's our store policy to do so) but here are some exceptions.

-No box, no receipt. Worst case scenario, a manager would just rather have you exchange it for a product of the same nature, so the store gets some sort of credit. One way to keep this from happening is hanging on to a products box for a couple of days until you are sure you're going to keep it. Receipts come and go, but that box has a little tiny customer return label on it that makes my job a lot easier!

-After the 180 day return policy. Don't bring me a used gross ass clumpy dried out mascara you bought 9 months ago and tell me "It just didn't work out for you." Same thing goes with any skincare products. I once had a lady try and return an empty moisturizer jar!! Nuh huh that just doesn't fly.

-Don't bring me back something I begged you to try on at the counter, but you refused. I once had a girl who was really unsure about a lipstick color. I offered to sanitize it so she could try it on, but she just wouldn't. She bought the lipstick, went out into the mall, put it on, hated it, and brought it back literally five minutes later. If your not sure of something please let a MA clean and sanitize it for you so you can try it. This is why we have testers! At least swatch it on your hand so you know what it's going to look like on.
smiles.gif
If you must return it, so be it. But at least wait a few hours. LOL.
smiles.gif

I'm having anxiety about this right now. I hate going to the closest store to me because they push so hard on the sale and I end up getting talked into things. And I feel guilty returning cosmetics, but I also feel stupid holding onto things I'll never use.

One MA just talked me into a lipstick that I absolutely hate, it looks too dark for my taste, and I HAVE to wear lipglass with it for me to be ok with it. I shouldn't feel guilty about it, but I do.

angeluv009

I've returned things at MAC and i personally like their return policy, it shows that they have faith in their product.
I did return an eyeliner once and didn't get hassled or anything. I think it depends on the day you go and the mood that the MA is in, sometimes they're just having a bad day, what can you say. Recently i got kinda pressured into buying a foundation and it looked ok in the store, but when i got home it made me look like i was trying to put on a fake tan. I really appreciated the return policy then also. Makeup is a funny thing, sometimes it looks one way in one light and you love it, then the next day your like heeeey what the hell!!
but i also hate people that abuse this right, its a right, dont buy a product use the crap out of it and then return it!!!
And Violet, that story would make me sooo upset also!

Lndsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv
I haven't returned anything yet, but I am an obsessive shopper, so I usually overthink about things before I buy them, read reviews, look around on here, etc. However, I got close to returning Trax (I realized it made me look like I had redeye), but thankfully my sister had been wanting it, so I just gave it to her.

Ahhh...trax. I had the same issues so I gave it to my sister in law. I looked like I had two big black eyes!

I am the same way about the obsessive shopping, I hate returning make up so I make damn sure I know what I am buying. If I get it home and I find I dont like it or can't make it work, the next time I go in I will ask for suggestions on how to use it or other products that will make it look better...which always leads to buying more stuff...but I am ok with that! And usually this works out pretty well for me, I don't really have any products that I don't use.

The only thing I have ever returned was a tube of Zoom Lash...because that stuff sucked. And I ended just exchanging for something else, so it worked out.

MAC_Pixie04

I don't work for MAC, but we have a liberal return policy at Sephora, and the only things about it that bother me are when people bring in $300 and $400 worth of unused items that are most likely stolen or purchased in the cheap at other retailers and get gift cards up the ying yang.
I also hate when people return shit that's easily tried on in the store, like lipstick and lipgloss and things like that. If you didn't like the lipstick when you wore it the day you tried it on, then you probably aren't gonna like it at home if you buy it.
And "regulars;" people who return and exchange the same things over and over so that they essentially aren't really paying for it; kind of renting it in essence.
I also hate when people bring back products that are like totally used and go "It said I would see in results in blahblahblah days/weeks/whatever and I didn't see anything." That means don't REpurchase it. It doesn't mean return the whole thing empty. That's like eating a whole 3 course meal at a restaurant and then not wanting to pay because it "wasn't good." Lame as hell.

Meryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosMEtix
what DO they do with all that stuff we return...? is is always just tossed?

A few weeks ago, I asked for a 2N gloss and was sold a 2N lipstick. (I didn't even check to see that the MA gave me the right thing and they didn't show me before I paid.)

Anyway, I had to exchange it. That lipstick was never even opened, but I know they have to toss it.

I've often wondered, couldn't they use a BNIB return as a tester?

Chikky

That's what I hope they did with my return. I'd feel awful for it to be a waste of a perfectly good product.

calbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryl

I've often wondered, couldn't they use a BNIB return as a tester?

Nope it get's tossed.

Paramnesia

I've been told you cannot return used products.
I bought painterly p/p which looked like the right colour in the store but when I got home I realised it was too dark. When I took it back they didn't even notice I'd used it so they swapped it for bare study.

VioletB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Pixie04
I don't work for MAC, but we have a liberal return policy at Sephora, and the only things about it that bother me are when people bring in $300 and $400 worth of unused items that are most likely stolen or purchased in the cheap at other retailers and get gift cards up the ying yang.
I also hate when people return shit that's easily tried on in the store, like lipstick and lipgloss and things like that. If you didn't like the lipstick when you wore it the day you tried it on, then you probably aren't gonna like it at home if you buy it.
And "regulars;" people who return and exchange the same things over and over so that they essentially aren't really paying for it; kind of renting it in essence.
I also hate when people bring back products that are like totally used and go "It said I would see in results in blahblahblah days/weeks/whatever and I didn't see anything." That means don't REpurchase it. It doesn't mean return the whole thing empty. That's like eating a whole 3 course meal at a restaurant and then not wanting to pay because it "wasn't good." Lame as hell.

Amen!

Latest posts