Do you follow the makeup trends?

YvetteJeannine

Like fashion, each new season has specific makeup trends....Sometimes there are even particular trends that last a while (6-12mths. in some cases)..Do you follow those trends? For instance, I was just on the Specktra blog Q&A and read how matte skin is now "in"....Different eye looks are always emerging, too...Neutrals are in...neutrals are out; bright colors are in....bright colors are out. Do you care what's in or out at the moment, or do you just do what you want?

Personally, I find I don't really care what's in or out...as long a look is not SUPER over-the-hill (ie; 1980's bright orange blush streak), I use it if I want. I tend to wear looks that flatter me. If I want to do a smokey eye for a dinner, I'll do it; even if they would consider it a makeup faux-pas on the runway. I try to use a variety of looks, and change them up so I don't get bored. If it happens to be out at the time, then so be it...so long as it looks nice on me. Like now...I LOVE dewy skin. I will NOT wear a matte look. I personally think it ages a gal...I don't think this season's look is the super-matte like we had in the early 90's (foundation, plastered powder, matte lipstick), but I still don't like it; even if it's 'trendy'.

What about all of you? How do you feel about makeup trends, and do you follow them??

smiles.gif

medusalox

I don't follow the trends.

I mean, I like to keep tabs on what's up and coming, but not so much to conform to the trends as to take inspiration from them. I know what looks good on me, I know what I like to wear. I just enjoy looking at the 'new stuff' to see if theres something that I might want to incorporate into a look. Or hell, if there's a whole new look I might wanna try!

I do find, though, that often the makeup trends match the clothing trends nicely, so it's inevitable that somedays, I look like a trend-whore.
smiles.gif
Oh well!

YvetteJeannine

Same for me; I like to see what they're doing out there in the makeup industry, but not so much to apply it to myself...just to see (as you say) what' 'out there'
smiles.gif

lobsteriffic

I like to know what the trends are (like someone else said...usually they follow along with the clothing trends) but I don't necessarily follow them. I wear what looks good on me.

zori

I feel the same way. I like to stay current with the trends but wear what looks good on me. Of course if the current trend is something that works for me, I'll wear it.

Beauty Mark

I like looking at new trends to see if the companies release new products (new colors, new formulas). I sometimes do integrate parts of a trend into my look, but I'm usually doing what I was doing to begin with.

astronaut

... I didn't even know there were makeup trends... (now) Haha looking back I can see there was an obvious trend for the different eras :p

aziajs

I like to follow the trends, within my comfort zone. But, the thing is that the trends change so much that if you just wait it out whatever look you like will come back around in a season or two.

MisStarrlight

I tend not to follow trends exactly, but I do kinda go with long-term trends/themes. For example, in the summer I tend to go for a more dewy/glowy look, winter & fall I wear more matte & darker colors & break out the brighter colors for spring....but this is just an overall generalization, I don't hold it as a stead-fast rule & go with my mood much more often than what is appropriate for the season.

flowerhead

I don't follow makeup trends, I don't need someone else to tell me what's fabulous!
Like someone else mentioned though, I keep my makeup season-appropriate...in the summer it's usually very light or I use bright blue, in the Autumn and winter I like dark colours and glitter...and in the spring I wear metallics and pastels. Usually not deliberately though!

lara

I pick and mix. The best way to be on-trend but not a slave to fashion is to pull the individual elements out of make-up/fashion trends that suit you or that have a timeless classic quality to them, and discard anything that's too obviously 'now'.

L281173

Sometimes, I follow trends. I follow trends in various magazines such as VIBE, Essence, and Vibe Vixen magazines.

sitasati

Quote:
Originally Posted by claresauntie
Do ya'll buy the new collections as they come out?

I try to buy one thing atleast just cause I'm a wanna be MAC junkie
cutey.gif
. Usually it's lipglass or lipstick..cause you can never have enough!
cheerleader.gif
I'm so waiting for smoke signals...i want both the eye quads and I'm holding off on buying carbon just cause of that collection!

j_absinthe

I keep tabs, it helps while working as a MUA and someone comes to you wanting something modern and in the style of the times. I try to just follow my own artistic intuition though; for instance, nude lips and cat eyes seem to be really in (not necessarily together), but they're just things I tend to stay away from.

Latest posts