Does anyone else work in Customer Services?

littlepickle

Because while I love my job, the company I work for and the people I work with, frankly, sometimes it really sucks!

Had a very unreasonable and abusive call today, first one that has left me feeling shaky afterwards in a long time :(

shadowaddict

I'm sorry you had such a rude caller. Hopefully you can shake it off. I guess you have to just try to let things like that roll off your back and not let them get to you.

I take it from your other posts that you are pregnant? If so you really don't need that stress. Perhaps you can find a way to have a bit of time after work each day to relax and let the work day stay at work. I know easier said than done. I don't know why some people have to act like that to others even if it is over the phone.You need to enjoy this time with your baby-to-be and not be stressed about people that just do not have any manners.

I hope things get better Sweetie. I'm expecting my first grandchild any day now. My daughter-in-law is due April 5th.
she is haveing a boy. Do you know if you're having a boy or a girl? It seems that a lot of people are having boys right now. When I've been somewhere and talking to a pregnant woman it seems like all of them are expecting boys. My DIL said that she read that in times of war more boys are born. I guess to balance out losing men to war? She didn't say where she read this, but it is an interesting thought.

littlepickle

Thanks for your kind words :) We are having a little boy, his name is Noel.
I usually am okay at switching it all off at the end of the day but am getting a lot more tired now that I've hit 30 weeks in my pregnancy, Noel is keeping me awake at night now.

The part of the call that got to me was at the end of the call when she said "God forbid any of you people ever have children!"
I'm still feeling a little shaky about it because earlier in the call she was complainin about how awful our company are, and that we were out to get her, that she was pregnant and tired and didn't need the stress. I said I was sorry for the frustration caused, that I understood how she felt as I was pregnant too and then I got that at the end of the call after doing everything I could to try and calm and reassure her and help her with her issue.

I understand calling CS reps is a major pain in the arse but we're people too! :(

roLLerGrrL

I used to work in Customer Service & know those types of calls very well. All you can do is forget it as soon as possible. It's not like the person on the other end of the phone is attacking you personally, so try not to care. Solve their problem if you can. Does your company have a call termination policy? Eg, if someone is swearing at you, you give them one or two warnings & then terminate the call? I hope so, because it does help a lot. Sometimes callers would call back & apologise. Just think of it like water off a ducks back, and on to the next call - who are hopefully much nicer - they are the ones that make you really want to help people.

littlepickle

Thanks rollergrrl, we do, but as the customer was not swearing, it was not a situation where I could terminate the call. She was just very difficult and it really needed to be escalated to a manager due to the issues with her account which of course I can't go into - but it was not an easy fix and not something I could deal with at my level - but she refused the escalation and really just wanted to complain about how we are out to get her. She had previously spoken to another team member who had a similar experience.

There are definitely some absolutely wonderful people who just make your day and make you really happy to be able to help :) 90% of the time I love my job!!

LMD84

well although i'm not customer service i work inretail and becqause i'm a store manager it means that i deal with the bulk of complaints. and quite frankly i think people suck sometimes! things got so bad for me that i had to call the police out on one guy! i'm sorry that people have been rude to you recently. and that woman had no right to say that at all. something is very wrong if you are left shaking after a call like that. are you sure you are not able to terminate the call or transfer people if they are making you feel like that? sometimes even if people don't swear at me, if they are being rude or agressive i tell them that i am about to hang up if the don't change their attitude or if they are in the store i ask them to leave and come back when they want to have a conversation when they are able to have a sensible one. sometimes this riles people up even more but that's when they swear and i can hang up and full on kick them out!

i have also said to people out right that i am not here to take abuse from them. and if they want me to help them they need to stay calm and be polite because then i will try and do everything i possibly can for them. i know this sounds bad but i think men are the worst! they see me as a woman and therefore think they can walk all over me because i'll break down crying or something. which of course never happens (in front of them!) one old man even went to slap my hands once!! people are insane!

keetuh

Yes, actually I used to work in customer service. Actually for Verizon answering phone calls about customers bills, for internet, tv, and FiOS services. Now, I honestly hated that job because I feel like the ultimate point in that job was to rip people off and there's been countless times where I've heard someone say that on the phone and I have to lie and say that VZ wasn't ripping them off and in all actuality we were. Also, I could not count how many times I've been called the B word, a whore, slut, no good, even the N word. Honestly, that was the breaking point in my job when I knew it was time for me to leave because we could not release calls so basically they were saying I had to allow a customer to verbally abuse me. After wards, I had a customer state that I was no good, I won't be anything in my life, Im nothing ( That's just stating it nicely ) and she called me a bitch as well. At that point, I told the customer that if she was going to speak to me that way, I would release the call or I could transfer her to my supervisor, she continued with calling me names, and I was actually put on a Final ( which means I could be fired at any given time ) for telling a customer that. I really didn't give a crap though. I will not go through verbal abuse because a person is mad the technician is 2 minutes late.

Now, with that said, I've been through so many quality sessions because VZ's crazy protocol, I've learned to understand what to listen for and what are the conversations trigger points. IE, one big thing is listening. What upsets customers the most is repeating something that they did not say. I'll admit when I call places now because I know how the quality calls are recorded, I HATE feeling like the reps are talking to me like I don't know what I'm talking about or not listening to me. Once I hear that in the tone, that's when the call takes a unsightly turn. I try not to get too upset but when a person isn't listening to me, it urks me.

Sorry for the rant! :(

littlepickle

I actually find women harder than men! So often I will have a really reasonable conversation with a man about something with his account and be able to hear his wife in the background disputing everything, and then she will demand the phone and I will have to discuss everything again with her because she is unhappy, even though her husband is perfectly fine with it.

If this woman had been saying that stuff about hoping I never have children throughout the conversation, I definitely would have been looking at terminating the call or giving the hard word. But it was something she slipped in at the end of the call, I guess to get the last word in the nastiest way she could!

That's crazy that an old guy tried to slap your hands!! Wow, at least I don't have to deal with people in person
icon_eek.gif

keetuh

Sorry, had to edit it. Had more to ramble about haha.

OMGOSH, women are the WORST! One time the lady called me a stupid b word, and her husband took the phone and I was on the verge of tears because I was honestly trying to help her and I felt bad for her as well. He apologized for his wife because she was frustrated because they had an Autistic son and they wanted contact with him at all times when he was out on his on so they wanted some type of cellular emergency plan. IDK what it was honestly but she was basically sold something that wasn't true so I had to get her the next best thing which was cheaper. Once I got everything fixed for the guy, ( Which the husband, I spent 30 minutes talking to him on the phone and he was like the most level headed guy and he's gave me some GREAT advice and I think because of that one phone call, I'm back in school.

I've actually gotten guys that try to flirt with me on the phone as well, lol.

littlepickle

Sorry for the rant! :(

I know what you mean, working in CS definitely makes you more conscience of how you are being treated when you have to call other companies.
I absolutely do my best to listen to what the customer is telling me, not make assumptions, and not belittle them in any way. I want to help! :)
I work for Trade Me, which is like New Zealand's version of Ebay - working for an auction site means everything from facilitating trades, explaining why we can't get involved in feedback disputes, explaining why we've banned this account and why that is in breach of intellectual property rights, to removing people's bids for them and helping them log in! It's a real mixed bag, which usually makes it more fun than anything else :)

LMD84

Sorry, had to edit it. Had more to ramble about haha.

OMGOSH, women are the WORST! One time the lady called me a stupid b word, and her husband took the phone and I was on the verge of tears because I was honestly trying to help her and I felt bad for her as well. He apologized for his wife because she was frustrated because they had an Autistic son and they wanted contact with him at all times when he was out on his on so they wanted some type of cellular emergency plan. IDK what it was honestly but she was basically sold something that wasn't true so I had to get her the next best thing which was cheaper. Once I got everything fixed for the guy, ( Which the husband, I spent 30 minutes talking to him on the phone and he was like the most level headed guy and he's gave me some GREAT advice and I think because of that one phone call, I'm back in school.

I've actually gotten guys that try to flirt with me on the phone as well, lol.
lol! well flirters are better than people calling you rude names! i can't even believe that people would call you things like slut and whore. that is bloody awful!

SUMM3RxBABii

I work as a sales associate but I think customer service is pretty much the same. I've only been working in sales for 3 months and there have been some rude customers, but it's typical. You can't expect everyone to be nice and customer service is actually one of the most emotionally tough jobs out there, unfortunately. But don't take it personally at all, if it wasn't you, it would've been someone else that took the punch. Just keep doing your job as you love it and look forward to the nice customers. Everyday is a different day!

LMD84

I work as a sales associate but I think customer service is pretty much the same. I've only been working in sales for 3 months and there have been some rude customers, but it's typical. You can't expect everyone to be nice and customer service is actually one of the most emotionally tough jobs out there, unfortunately. But don't take it personally at all, if it wasn't you, it would've been someone else that took the punch. Just keep doing your job as you love it and look forward to the nice customers. Everyday is a different day!
so very true! some times you can super nice customers that are literally the polar opposite of the nasty ones! like sometimes if we help people out they bring us chocolates or bottles of wine which is fabulous!

DILLIGAF

I've worked in retail for years and the one thing its made me aware of is how I conduct myself in other stores. I'm super polite and pleasant because I know what its like to be on the other side of the coin. However that said, because of that I can be very critical when I receive what I believe to be poor customer service. I have never kicked off on someone on the phone. I guess its just easier for some people to do that because they don't actually look someone in the eyes. The telephone version of the internet tough guy. If customers realized the perks that come with being patient and nice all this foolishness would stop.

anita22

I used to work in a call centre (in New Zealand as well, just like the OP) and honestly I feel it was worse than working in retail. Possibly because I worked for a utilities company - and unfortunately the type of utility everyone needs for survival so a service people signed up to by necessity rather than choice. Anyway, I had plenty of calls where people would shout, swear, lie, etc. In many cases they had had their service disconnected for non payment (which I do empathise with in some cases, but usually there is very little that can be done when someone hasn't paid their bills in 6 months). The only way to get through it really is to tell yourself that it's not personal. To most people you are just an anonymous voice on the phone so they have no qualms about venting at you (and often, that is all they want to do is let off some steam). A bit like how some people feel they can be as rude as they like on the internet because there is an element of anonymity. I've never understood that really, and have always made a point of being nice to people who work in customer services!

LMD84

I used to work in a call centre (in New Zealand as well, just like the OP) and honestly I feel it was worse than working in retail. Possibly because I worked for a utilities company - and unfortunately the type of utility everyone needs for survival so a service people signed up to by necessity rather than choice. Anyway, I had plenty of calls where people would shout, swear, lie, etc. In many cases they had had their service disconnected for non payment (which I do empathise with in some cases, but usually there is very little that can be done when someone hasn't paid their bills in 6 months). The only way to get through it really is to tell yourself that it's not personal. To most people you are just an anonymous voice on the phone so they have no qualms about venting at you (and often, that is all they want to do is let off some steam). A bit like how some people feel they can be as rude as they like on the internet because there is an element of anonymity. I've never understood that really, and have always made a point of being nice to people who work in customer services!
yeah i think that once you've been there and done that job you then act super pleasent to people in those situations! when i do have an issue i always stay clam and be pleasent while still be firm and getting my point across. people do more for you when you are nice!

heart

yes i worked customer service for about five years and hated every minute of it. a lot of people these days have no problem whatsoever being disrespectful and they will lie to your face to get their money back--even if it means cussing you out or making complete assholes out of themselves in front of a huge line. not fun!

Goat Goat Etc.

Dude, AMEN.

Worked in retail for older women and they loved and felt welcome to being racially insensitive, belittling, and huffy.

Latest posts