Does anyone here have a surface piercing?

chameleonmary

I would LOVE to have a piercing on my nape, does anyone have a surface piercing and if so, what was the experience like?

SingFrAbsoltion

I have an inverse navel which is a surface piercing on me because I didn't have a flap over there like some do. I've had it for 4 years and it never gave me any problems. But I think napes are different, I hear they almost always get rejected. I agree with the above post, micro dermals would work better.

Briar

I've been thinking of getting a single micro dermal in the center of my cleavage. How are they for healing time, etc? I hate asking questions on sites like BME or BodyMod.org because those folks always make me feel like a poseur or ignore me altogether.
ssad.gif

Calhoune

With microdermals you're fine aslong as you get someone who knows what they're doing. They actually heal really, really well and are considered the safer ones of all different kinds of piercings. I'd like to get a cleavage piercing too and I'm not going for surface, but for microdermals for sure. But as with all piercings, you could mess it up if you play with it or odn't clean it properly.

I have a surface tragus that was taken by an inexperienced piercer and it is currently starting to reject.
You can see it in this picture, click to enlarge:
It's the bar close to my ear

I really want a nape too! Just going to find someone who knows what he's doing first >.>

PomPoko

I am by no means any kind of expert, but I know people with microdermals, and surface piercings, and have considered them myself, and have tried reading up about them in the past!
smiles.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by chameleonmary
I would LOVE to have a piercing on my nape, does anyone have a surface piercing and if so, what was the experience like?

One of my friends has had many surface piercings - shes had clavicles, hips, surface verticle tragus and her nape twice. A lot of them rejected - the only ones I think that didn't were her nape and one of her hip piercings. They scar quite badly, her clavicles looked atrocious for a while after she took them out, huge discoloured patches around them...though that was mostly rejection because the piercer used the wrong type of bar. You have to have staple shaped bars, and he put in straight barbells. He didn't tell her till after he'd pierced her he'd never done a surface piercing before. Good, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar
I've been thinking of getting a single micro dermal in the center of my cleavage. How are they for healing time, etc? I hate asking questions on sites like BME or BodyMod.org because those folks always make me feel like a poseur or ignore me altogether.
ssad.gif

As V15U4L 3RR0R said, microdermals don't reject as much, but they still do sometimes
ssad.gif
Another friend had one put in the centre of her chest in a similar place as you're thinking, but she had to have it removed as she sleeps in a way that was making it start to go the rejection route, so rather than have it reject, she just got it removed. Having seen the scar on that compared to the botched, rejected surface piercings its a lot less...for want of a better word, ugly
smiles.gif

Well, as I say, I'm not any kind of expert, but I HTHs somewhat
smiles.gif

chameleonmary

Thanks for your advice ladies! I have seen pics of some surface piercing scars and they look hideous... I have also been advised by a tattooist who refuses to pierce (out of fear of angry scarred customers) that surface piercings will reject or migrate at some stage and that they are just not possible for life-long keeping so I figured by asking people who have them, I can verify that!

Microdermals seem the way to go from what I have read and seen on the thread, the problem is many piercers in Sydney won't go there! I need to do my research... a nice stud in the nape could work couldnt it?

triccc

A friend of mine had 4 nape surface piercings. (like a ladder going down the back of her neck)
All but one rejected.
She still has the last one in and only the very top one looked like it scarred some.

I had one on my finger. It was obnoxious when i washed or did my hair so I eventually took it out.
There isn't a scar, but if I showed you which finger you could see a little line where it used to be.

hope that helps!

newagetomatoz

This is a little off topic, but I figured I could ask!

I want to get my labert done, but is it possible to do it with a microdermal? I'm a little unsure about having the ring or barbell (or whatever the correct term for the straight one is) because I might, um, "play" with it when I get bored. I twirl most of my ear piercings when I'm bored and since the mouth is a much more fragile area, I'm afraid of making the healing time longer, etc. Thoughts? And thank you in advance!

V15U4L_3RR0R

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagetomatoz
This is a little off topic, but I figured I could ask!

I want to get my labert done, but is it possible to do it with a microdermal? I'm a little unsure about having the ring or barbell (or whatever the correct term for the straight one is) because I might, um, "play" with it when I get bored. I twirl most of my ear piercings when I'm bored and since the mouth is a much more fragile area, I'm afraid of making the healing time longer, etc. Thoughts? And thank you in advance!

Talking to your piercer would be your best bet.

Lndsy

I had a surface piercing on my stomach and it began to reject after 8 months, so I took it out early because I didnt want the scarring to be too bad. It was completely painless to get done, but your nape would probably hurt a lot more. I loved it though and plan to get it done with micro dermals very soon, like maybe next week!

Microdermals are fantastic because they have really opened up the possibilities for jewelery placement, if you look at the galleries on BME Dermal Anchoring you can see the wide variety of placements. As far as I know the healing time is about the same as a normal piercing, every one heals differently though so it really depends on your body. And it is totally possible to get your labret done with a microdermal.

The most important thing is to make sure that your piercer knows what they are doing, and that they have been properly trained. Do your research before you choose a shop and have fun!

Lndsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar
ssad.gif

Hey! I forgot about this video I just watched. This is Lane Jensen, he is a well known piercer from Edmonton, AB, Canada. He talks a little bit about micro dermals in this video YouTube - Lane Jensen talks about Piercing on Help TV

And if I were you I would just start going to shops and asking questions, and don't worry about BME making you feel that way...they all had to start body mod-ing somewhere didn't they?
smiles.gif

Latest posts