Does being 'put together' make you feel better?

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalclear
If nothing else women have been wearing 'makeup' in some form or other for thousands of years (I think it was a status thing and also the colours make people happy) and probably will do for thousands of years to come.
Personally, I feel like hell if I done wear any and since the age of 15 have gone out completely bare faced about 6 or 7 times (one of my long time friends didn't realise I have freckles until we went to the gym recently and I took my makeup off) and I dont think I'd go out without my "face" by choice.

I wear makeup for *myself.*
I think it's a common misconception that women will "fix up" only if they know they're going to be seen by men.
I used to be accused of "tryin' to git a boyfriend" because I'd do my makeup perfectly before going anywhere, but I was doing it [and still do it]for me, because of the way it makes me feel.

L1LMAMAJ

Being put together does make me feel better. However, I don't put makeup on everyday due to time constraints. I don't feel "ugly" without makeup; I just think I look better with makeup. It's nothing about impressing others. I do makeup for me.

malvidia

Quote:
Originally Posted by cno64
It became a cycle: The better I felt, the more energy I had to devote to self care; the better I looked, the better I felt ...

it's the same for me too! it makes me feel better to be dressed nicely, to have clean and styled hair, some makeup, and so on... i feel that i'm actively doing something for myself, for my well being.
so even when i'm short on time and/or tired i make an effort to take care of myself cause i know i'll feel better afterwards
yes.gif

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1LMAMAJ
Being put together does make me feel better. However, I don't put makeup on everyday due to time constraints. I don't feel "ugly" without makeup; I just think I look better with makeup. It's nothing about impressing others. I do makeup for me.

Same here.
On days when I don't leave the house, I'll maybe put on lipstick, but that's it.
When I was younger, I *did* think that I was "ugly" without makeup, and would even have bad dreams about being seen bare-faced.
Time and experience have taught me that my face the way God made it is beautiful; makeup just "polishes" it a bit.
"Even gemstones are polished before they're put in their settings" has become my philosophy,and I enjoy makeup far more than I ever did when I was in my teens and twenties.
Now, it's more "art" than "correction."

pumpkincat210

oh, yes, its a definite pick me up to be put together. My mom is alot like the person you are talking about..if she would just try it once i know she'd feel at least a little better! You're cool though, most people imo would let their disability take over, you on the other hand have taken control of it and are enjoying life's little pleasures too, rock on!

User67

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashk36
I definitely have a completely different personality when I feel like I look good than when I know I'm a mess. I am so broken out right now, and I realized last night when I went to the grocery store without any makeup that I pretty much avoid eye contact, keep my head down, and try my best to avoid talking to people. When I've got makeup on, I've got my head up and a hop in my step, smile more at strangers, and will make random conversation with people. So I definitely feel better when I'm put together.

I pretty much feel like this. When I'm not dressed up & I have no make-up on I tend to walk with my head down & just pray that I don't run into anyone I know. But, when I have my make-up done & I am dressed nicely I feel like I can take on the world! I'm like 2 different people with & without make-up.

winkietoe

I honestly feel happier when Im put together. On days that im down, I usually try to do my hair and take my time doing a fantastic job on my makeup because I feel like if I look good, ill feel good. It usually does its trick and gets me feeling better
smiles.gif

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkietoe
I honestly feel happier when Im put together. On days that im down, I usually try to do my hair and take my time doing a fantastic job on my makeup because I feel like if I look good, ill feel good. It usually does its trick and gets me feeling better
smiles.gif

I do that, too, though sometimes I'm a little torn.
I'll think, "Should I use my precious Rocking Chick lipstick today to hopefully give myself a 'lift,' or wait until I'm at my best so I can 'do it justice'?"
th_dunno.gif

BlushKrush

I do feel better when i wear makeup , i feel like when i don't wear it i look sooo busted n i just don't like it... I do however leave the house without it because i get lazy sometimes n just don't feel like it or don't have time to put some on!...

esmeralda89

i too feel better when i am put together, makeup, hair done, and wearing a nice outfit. My guy roomate asked me why i was so dresed up an d i simply told him "it makes me feel better, therfore i acomplish more"

obscuria

I feel that being put together does put many people in better moods, myself included. To be honest though, some problems and situations in life take precedence over you feeling good about yourself and I can understand why some people "let themselves go" in a sense. Whether this is the right or wrong way to go about it is another issue. I'm just saying I can understand why. Though I agree sometimes we need to put ourselves first by putting ourselves together, other times it can be very difficult when extraneous circumstances really don't care how good you feel about yourself.
Those are more of an extreme though, for the most part, I think it's good to put yourself together if it makes you feel better. self-love is always better than self-hate no matter how you achieve that.

InspiredBlue

Absolutely! Having a nice warm shower and then putting makeup and a good outfit on are some of the easiest fixes I have when I feel like I'm in a bit of a funk.

greengoesmoo

Brave face = full face = happy face.
I find the more down I am the more I crave to look my best.
The worse I feel the more a "mask" is appreciated.
I recently ditched 100kg of useless fat and I have practically been appling make up with a trowel since.

I know my mother was the same, however her fondness of make up was due to her collection of severe psychological issues and the more depressed/unhinged she became the more obsessed with her hair and make up she became.

I always found my mum's behaviour to be more pleasantly predictable after a new sack of avon had arrived.
I guess that's why I associate make up with happiness.
smiles.gif

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengoesmoo

I always found my mum's behaviour to be more pleasantly predictable after a new sack of avon had arrived.
I guess that's why I associate make up with happiness.
smiles.gif

That would do it!
I can actually sort of relate to your mother, to an extent; those little black MAC boxes never fail to lift my spirits!
It hasn't always been that way, though.
Please pardon me, everyone, if I've already told this story, but:
When I was in the hospital following my stroke in 2001, I felt considerably more dead than alive, and I couldn't believe how my roommate (VERY cool woman!) seemed to be everlastingly getting her hair and nails done.
I remember groaning, I can't imagine EVER caring about what I look like, again ..." and I meant every word.
The therapists often encouraged me to have my mother bring my makeup to the hospital, urging, "I'll bet just a little mascara and lip gloss would make a big difference in the way you feel!"
I didn't go for the idea, figuring that they were just trying to tell me in a diplomatic way that I looked like crap.
After I got better and was able to come home, I morphed into a MAC addicted makeup diva, and I'm never happier than I am when my eyeliner goes on just right!

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscuria
I feel that being put together does put many people in better moods, myself included. To be honest though, some problems and situations in life take precedence over you feeling good about yourself and I can understand why some people "let themselves go" in a sense. Whether this is the right or wrong way to go about it is another issue.

Oh, sure; there are times when one's appearance has to take a "back seat" to other areas of life. Though I've been blessed enough to have rarely felt this way, there are times when you simply don't have the emotional energy to try to put yourself "together," and even get the look good --> feel better ---> polish your look ---> feel even better effect going.
It's kind of like physics; you have to put energy into the system to get things going, and sometimes the energy simply isn't there, or must be devoted to more pressing needs.

bumblebees24

Definitely, especially after tough/rough week. It lifts the spirit quite a bit just knowing I actually combed my hair and had enough time to put on makeup. As you get older, there are more responsibilities and chores to take care of, leaving us less and less time to take care of ourselves. I try to spend at least the weekend to get all dolled up =)

Another thing...have any of you had a situation where when you're made up, people (especially men) are nicer? LoL...one time I went to the grocery store all dolled up and several guys went out of their way to open a new cash register to ring me up when I had only one item! The next week I showed up with no makeup and NOBODY bothered to help. In fact, they saw me but just ignored me. Quite sad ain't it?

InspiredBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebees24
Another thing...have any of you had a situation where when you're made up, people (especially men) are nicer? LoL...one time I went to the grocery store all dolled up and several guys went out of there way to open a new cash register to ring me up when I had only one item! The next week I showed up with no makeup and NOBODY bothered to help. In fact, they saw me but just ignored me. Quite sad ain't it?

I've actually had the opposite (sort of, more clothes wise than makeup) happen. I was shopping some supplies for an event and I was already dressed for it, wearing a nice skirt and high heels and all that jazz. Some guy bumped his shopping cart into mine and then started shouting that I should apologize for bumping into him. And it was so obvious that he felt that he could do that because he figured I was such a bimbo for shopping dressed like I was.
th_rolleye0014.gif

bumblebees24

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredBlue
I've actually had the opposite (sort of, more clothes wise than makeup) happen. I was shopping some supplies for an event and I was already dressed for it, wearing a nice skirt and high heels and all that jazz. Some guy bumped his shopping cart into mine and then started shouting that I should apologize for bumping into him. And it was so obvious that he felt that he could do that because he figured I was such a bimbo for shopping dressed like I was.
th_rolleye0014.gif

That's no way to treat a lady regardless of how she dresses/looks. I don't understand the whole notion of thinking someone's a bimbo when they're all dolled up. I'm sure you looked great and he was just being a jerk!

LMD84

Quote:
Absolutely! Having a nice warm shower and then putting makeup and a good outfit on are some of the easiest fixes I have when I feel like I'm in a bit of a funk.

exactly!
smiles.gif
shaving my legs helps too!
tong.gif
hee hee hee!

cno64

Quote:
I was shopping some supplies for an event and I was already dressed for it, wearing a nice skirt and high heels and all that jazz. Some guy bumped his shopping cart into mine and then started shouting that I should apologize for bumping into him. And it was so obvious that he felt that he could do that because he figured I was such a bimbo for shopping dressed like I was.
th_rolleye0014.gif

He was wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.
A true gentleman would have said, "Pardon me," even if you'd run into him, which I doubt was the case.
That guy needs to evolve.
Back to topic: I actually have had a "reverse" sort of thing happen to me.
I remember once, when I was in college, going into a Petsmart without a speck of makeup(something *very* rare for me).
I thought I looked wretched, but these two male employees kept looking at me and giggling and nudging each other.
I wanted to bellow, "WHAT are you looking at?"
I didn't; I just looked carefully at myself to make sure nothing private was showing.
It wasn't; I don't know what the guys' problem was.

Latest posts