Does price effect the perception of quality?

Danapotter

Hey everyone! As I was looking at different makeup brands, and just trying all of them out, I had this question, and I would love your opinion on it!

Does the price of certain cosmetic prices effect how you perceive the quality of it?

Personally, I will try different cosmetics as long as they are vegan and pretty natural no matter the price. What about you?

Thanks!
thmbup.gif

dothewave.gif
(they are fun to have)

th_DANCE.gif

Kuuipo

No, but with higher price tags of say Guerlain, Chanel, Nars, Dior, etc, I would expect a higher quality product-for example cramier, richer lipsticks, than I would with a less costly brand.

reesesilverstar

Not necessarily... Cuz sometimes you stumble across quality with a low price tag, and horrible that's expensive.

The best idea is to test the product and see how it works for you...

VeXedPiNk

It doesn't change my perception of quality, but I certainly do hold higher expectations for products of a higher price. It doesn't make sense for something to be really expensive, but be total crap. It certainly does happen though! So as has been said before me, testing is the only way to be sure!!

user79

It used to, but now I realized how false it it. We get so extremely overcharged for makeup in Europe, and some of the products are not that great. That's why I've recently been more into buying theater and stage makeup like Ben Nye because the quality is excellent and the prices are very affordable.

Love Always Ivy

no, but im very particular about what i put on my face, and ive settled into a love for certain brands because of their quality and the results i have found with them... inadvertently they happen to be high end.

star25

Absolutely.
Obviously if you're paying more, you're expecting more.

BUT:
As far as higher-end brands, I own tons of Chanel, and from my experience I don't necessarily find that the price of the product guarantees the quality... and when I say that I'm thinking of their e/s quads. I think they're terrible! I swear, if I did like a "blind test" of these e/s (as in swatching them without knowing the brand) I'd be convinced it was some cheap drug store brand. They're so dry and flaky, some have NO colour payoff whatsoever.. you're basically left with some chunks of glitter on your finger after you swipe it accross... and without a very good strong base whatever colour you DO get from them would completely dissapear from your eyelid.

Same goes for their powder compacts. I remember I once ran out of my beloved Studio Fix and opted for Chanel's Double Perfection compact, and I was not impressed. While SF gives me a smooth finish and doesn't look obvoious that I'm wearing any, Chanel's DP looked like a layer of dried gunk on my face esp after touch ups.. each one made it even worse.

That said, tho, I own lots from the line for a good reason, so not everything has been a disappointment, but it has definately made me more aware that you don't always get what you pay for.

abbyquack

When I see a ridiculously low price, such as E.L.F.'s $1 cosmetics, I get a little suspicious. I usually wouldn't even touch the stuff, but I've tried E.L.F. and found it to be pretty good quality. I guess it goes to show that I shouldn't judge it on its price, but I suppose often times you do get what you pay for. I agree with the above, trying the product out is the only way to know if it's good.

pennybeau

I usually do expect what I pay for, but sometimes a really expensive item can feel like the same quality as a drugstore product. And sometimes it can even seem worse than a drugstore product!

That's why it's important to try testers and ask for samples when you have the opportunity. And to also keep an open mind. :]

user79

Quote:
Originally Posted by star25
Absolutely.
Obviously if you're paying more, you're expecting more.

BUT:
As far as higher-end brands, I own tons of Chanel, and from my experience I don't necessarily find that the price of the product guarantees the quality... and when I say that I'm thinking of their e/s quads. I think they're terrible! I swear, if I did like a "blind test" of these e/s (as in swatching them without knowing the brand) I'd be convinced it was some cheap drug store brand. They're so dry and flaky, some have NO colour payoff whatsoever.. you're basically left with some chunks of glitter on your finger after you swipe it accross... and without a very good strong base whatever colour you DO get from them would completely dissapear from your eyelid.

Same goes for their powder compacts. I remember I once ran out of my beloved Studio Fix and opted for Chanel's Double Perfection compact, and I was not impressed. While SF gives me a smooth finish and doesn't look obvoious that I'm wearing any, Chanel's DP looked like a layer of dried gunk on my face esp after touch ups.. each one made it even worse.

That said, tho, I own lots from the line for a good reason, so not everything has been a disappointment, but it has definately made me more aware that you don't always get what you pay for.

I agree. Dior and Chanel makeup is really expensive, but whenever I have tried out their products with the testers, I am amazed at how low quality they are! They have some good things, but honestly, I don't think the high price tag is justified at all. You can get much better, more pigmented makeup at much more affordable prices.
th_dunno.gif

You're just paying for the brand name mostly, the advertising with celebrity spokespersons or famous models, and the luxury packaging...all things that I find pretty irrelevant when it comes to makeup quality.

florabundance

I agree with the opinion that you come to expect a higher quality if you're paying a lot. What i've realised as i've got into make up more is that with the right skills and ideas you can often make many things (high end - low end) work for you, regardless.

Yes. For *me*, this goes with just about anything in my life, bags, shoes, makeup...etc.
I realise that whatever is THE most expensive does not necessarily guarantee the best quality and/or performance, but it just makes me feel better. When it comes to makeup, I find that many moderately priced items can outdo their more expensive competitors, however, never has any low-end drugstore brand outdone the mid-to-high level products in my experience.

mustardgirl

I would agree with what most of you all have already said regarding the more expensive brands - you expect them to be better quality because you're paying for it. For me, I wouldn't pay for any high-end brand blindly without testing it first to see if I like it or not (which is why I don't order much makeup online - I usually test it at a store or counter first). Drugstore brands can be tricky because there's not always testers so unless if it's dirt cheap, I won't just blindly purchase a drugstore brand unless I know ahead of time somehow it works well. I figure that no matter what I pay, I want to get the most out of my money
smiles.gif

Not for me. If anything there seems to be a shift towards drug stores where new technology is released through those lines before they are marketed by the d/s brands. Also, I always keep in mind that a large number of the lower end cosmetics lines are sister companies to the the higher end ones, so both lines' products are created on the same production line.

this does make me wonder if EL will pick up Nyx; Nyx has so much potential but lacks the capital for serious expansion, and from the colours I've experienced first hand, they are in need of larger parent company pressure to to edit colours and consistency of their colour products. I remember the rumours back in the early naughties stating that EL bought out M Professional specifically to shut them down as it represented a serious danger to their newly aquired MAC line. They also purchased Poppy at the time, even though it went into liquidation. Made me wonder...

Anyway, there does exist some differences between the lower and higher end brands, but those differences are slowly eroding away. The differences, to me, have nothing to do with quality, but everything to do with market expectations.

cindel25

ITA with everyone else; if you're paying more then you expecting better quality.

However for me, I would test anything new before buying it. I tend to stick to products I know that works for me.

KellyBean

Honestly, yes. I do buy makeup at Target and stuff sometimes, but mostly when it's been reccomended to me. However, I look at some lower-end brands and I remember my drugstore makeup days. Looking back on the photos of when I bought a lot of low-end makeup, I see flaky mascara, runny lipglosses and caked-on foundation.

That said, if I have a drugstore item of good quality, I won't think badly of it. There are many good things to find at a CVS or Target; I'd say that most brands there have about a 25% chance of having something of quality. There are brands that have more succeses but most higher end brands have probably a 75% chance of being great quality. Plus, you can weed out the 25% because you can test things out before you buy it.

There are exceptions. I love all of my Sonia Kashuk brushes, and I love most of my L'oreal HiP products. They're better than some similar products from higher end brands.

Latest posts