Drugstore Foundation Routine-HELP!

tfisher07

I am in dire search of a new drugstore foundation. I do wear a medium to full coverage foundation every day, so I go through them rather quickly. To save on money I would like to find a more affordable option. I have oily and acne prone skin and prefer a matte finish. I am currently testing the Cover Girl 3-in-1, Revlon ColorStay, and Loreal True Match. I wouldn't say I'm the greatest fan of any of them, but they are all decent. Could possibly be my primer+foundation combination-so please list your mode of application, primer, and setting process if you have found something that is comparable to higher end foundations.

tfisher07

Definitely matte and medium-full coverage. What primer are you using underneath?
OK so yesterday I used a NYX primer with my moisturizer. Today I used my philosophy primer and no moisturizer. I love the primer, but it is too much on my face with moisturizer, because it doesn't really sink in to my skin too much. Not even if I let it rest for quite a while can I put it on top of my moisturizer. Anyway, the foundation went on a lot better this time. But I feel like there are gaps in the makeup, as in not that airbrush finish that I get with my other foundations, almost like I can see all the individual brush marks stippled on my face. I use a real techniques brush and it works wonders with every other foundation, except for every single drugstore foundation haha. Any other recommendations? Different primer? Foundation brush or beauty blender?

shellygrrl

Staff member
I own the Stippling Brush, and IMO, it is nowhere near dense enough for foundation. (I prefer it for cream blush or highlighter.) Go with the Expert Face Brush (available separately) or the Buffing Brush from the Core Collection. Then I went searching for your primer and moisturizer. Your primer is silicone-based (first ingredient is dimethicone); your moisturizer is water-based with a silicone (cyclopentasiloxane) as the third ingredient. The foundation is water/silicone-based (water is first ingredient; second ingredient is a silicone (cyclomethicone)). I would recommend nixing your primer and just use moisturizer. (Do your eye makeup first, if need be. Or brush your teeth or do your hair while you're waiting for it to sink in.) Keep some blotting paper or tissues on-hand to blot your face if need be.

tfisher07

I really appreciate you doing all this work! The stippling brush works great on my higher end foundations. Just not so much on drug store. I did try using a foundation brush but not either one of the RT ones, which I do have also. Will definitely try just the moisturizer and report back with the results. So what is it about the silicone/water that's affecting the application?

shellygrrl

Staff member
You know how oil and water don't mix? It's a similar principle with moisturizer, primer, and foundation. When you're using makeup, using like with like will give better results. A water/silicone-based moisturizer with water/silicone-based primer and foundation.

tfisher07

OK so I tried this out the past couple days and it royally changed everything! Looks nearly flawless. I do love the stippling application but I ordered the Real Techniques miracle blending sponge (their version of beauty blender) and the Sigma F80 to see if I can get a better application.

Latest posts