Duggar family has another...

Raerae

Quote:
Arkansas couple welcomes 17th child By JILL ZEMAN, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 24 minutes ago

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - It's a girl — again — for the Duggars. Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar welcomed their 17th child, and seventh daughter, into the world Thursday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Jennifer Danielle was born at 10:01 a.m. at Saint Mary's Hospital in Rogers, Ark., the Duggars said in an interview. Jennifer weighed 8 pounds, 8 ounces and arrived five days after Michelle's due date.

Less than 30 minutes after giving birth, the Duggars already were talking of having more.

"We'd love to have more," Michelle said, adding that the girls are outnumbered seven to 10 in the family. "We love the ruffles and lace."

Jennifer joins the fast-growing Duggar brood, who live in Tontitown in a 7,000-square-foot home. All the children — whose names start with the letter J — are home-schooled.

The oldest is 19 and the youngest, before Jennifer, is almost 2 years old.

"We are just so grateful to God for another gift from him," said Jim Bob Duggar, 42, a former state representative. "We are just so thankful to him that everything went just very well."

Jennifer joins siblings Joshua, 19; John David, 17; Janna, 17; Jill, 16; Jessa, 14; Jinger, 13; Joseph, 12; Josiah, 11; Joy-Anna, 9; Jedidiah, 8; Jeremiah, 8; Jason 7; James 6; Justin, 4; Jackson, 3; Johannah, almost 2.

The family includes two sets of twins.

Michelle Duggar said that Joshua, Janna, Jill and Jessa were at the hospital, but that the rest of the family planned to visit their new sister later Thursday.

Michelle Duggar said she started feeling contractions Wednesday night and went to the hospital at about 5 a.m. Thursday.

"It actually went fast," she said. "I guess once I started progressing, it went within 30 minutes."

Jennifer was born via a VBAC — or vaginal birth after Caesarean, Jim Bob Duggar said.

The Duggars have been featured on several programs on cable's Discovery Health Network. The next special, the Duggar Family Album, is scheduled to air next month, Jim Bob Duggar said.

Among the "fun facts" listed on Discovery Health's Web page devoted to the Duggars: A baby has been born in every month except June; the Duggars have gone through an estimated 90,000 diapers, and Michelle, 40, has been pregnant for 126 months — or 10.5 years — of her life.

Pregnant for 10.5 years... Love how they call that a fun fact LOL...

Gotta love her quote though:

Quote:
"It actually went fast," she said. "I guess once I started progressing, it went within 30 minutes."

I would hope after 17 kids, giving birth would be easy lol. Apparently they are already looking forward to more kids.

cno64

I hope all goes well for them all! I've watched them on TLC, and they seem like fine people.

Shimmer

Despite disagreeing with their lifestyle, simply out of pure vanity and selfishness, they seem to be doing something right in that their kids always come across as respectful and intelligent.
There's something to be said for that, considering the hooligans running around regularly these days.

MACATTAK

I've seen them on TLC also & they seem to be very nice people. Though this would never ever be a choice for me, I'm glad it works for them.

Beauty Mark

Was I the only one who thought "7 daughters and you finally get around to using the name "Jennifer"? I would've assumed that would've been one of the first names they used for the J name thing.

mjalomo

They must all have been blessed with an abundance of patience, energy, and money. The love part is easy, managing seventeen different moods, seventeen different sets of needs, and seventeen college educations difficult.
They must be extraordinary people.

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
Despite disagreeing with their lifestyle, simply out of pure vanity and selfishness, they seem to be doing something right in that their kids always come across as respectful and intelligent.
There's something to be said for that, considering the hooligans running around regularly these days.

Thats difficult to really say though Shimmer. We have a very 1 dimentional view of their lives, based on what is filtered and edited through the lense of the camera.

We really don't know all the dirty laundry that they have, and like most families, I'm sure there is a lot of it.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raerae
Thats difficult to really say though Shimmer. We have a very 1 dimentional view of their lives, based on what is filtered and edited through the lense of the camera.

We really don't know all the dirty laundry that they have, and like most families, I'm sure there is a lot of it.

Not really. The interactions we see aren't 100% uncensored by any stretch, but I suspect strongly that the children are indeed much better behaved than the general public's.
In fact, the kids come across as moderately articulate, eloquent, and introspective, something I would also suspect the general population's adolescent, tweenager, teenager, and young adult lack in.

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
Not really. The interactions we see aren't 100% uncensored by any stretch, but I suspect strongly that the children are indeed much better behaved than the general public's.
In fact, the kids come across as moderately articulate, eloquent, and introspective, something I would also suspect the general population's adolescent, tweenager, teenager, and young adult lack in.

I also suspect they would have no idea how to function outside of the protection of their home.

Shimmer

I don't disagree with that, I never said they weren't cosseted or sheltered from the rest of the world, only that the kids behave better than most of the children I encounter while walking the mall/climbing gym/whatever.

lipstickandhate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
Was I the only one who thought "7 daughters and you finally get around to using the name "Jennifer"? I would've assumed that would've been one of the first names they used for the J name thing.

Hahaha I thought the same exact thing!

Raerae

Pretty sure they shop at the cheapest stores around. Their website talks about how they buy food and clothing.

jenii

Yeah, those Quiverfull people tend to creep me out.

I mean they have as many kids as possible in order to raise a sort of army for Christ. And to get the number of Fundamentalists up, of course.

And no, I'm not just being rude, they actually ARE part of the Quiverfull movement, and that's actually what the Quiverfull movement is about.

tsukiyomi

I think that they have a beautiful family.
greengrin.gif
I imagine that it's difficult but I respect them a lot for having a big family. I come from a family of 6, so I know what it's like for 6 but 17...wow. That has to take a lot of dedication.
greengrin.gif

frocher

They do seem like very well behaved children to me. I do believe however, no matter how well organized you are, that it would be impossible for two parents to give each of these kids the attention that they need.

Additionally, how can they afford to feed and clothe 17 kids? Are they on some form of public assistance? If they are, this feeds back in to the other argument, should they be given further assistance even if they continue to procreate. I can understand helping a hard working family with food stamps, etc if they just cannot make ends meet. But a couple that has 17 kids?!? It seems to me having that many children would just about ensure not being able to support them properly. When I was growing up, there was a family that lived near me. They had 16 kids in their family. They father worked 2 jobs and they were still on public assistance. I don't know if any family should be helped if they are making decisions that ensure they will need the help.

Raerae

The claim to be debt free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frocher
They do seem like very well behaved children to me. I do believe however, no matter how well organized you are, that it would be impossible for two parents to give each of these kids the attention that they need.

Additionally, how can they afford to feed and clothe 17 kids? Are they on some form of public assistance? If they are, this feeds back in to the other argument, should they be given further assistance even if they continue to procreate. I can understand helping a hard working family with food stamps, etc if they just cannot make ends meet. But a couple that has 17 kids?!? It seems to me having that many children would just about ensure not being able to support them properly. When I was growing up, there was a family that lived near me. They had 16 kids in their family. They father worked 2 jobs and they were still on public assistance. I don't know if any family should be helped if they are making decisions that ensure they will need the help.

*Stargazer*

My issue with this family is that the parents aren't doing the parenting. She nurses each new baby for a year and then the kid gets handed off to an older sibling who is responsible for the care. I don't know, I just have an issue with people who force their older children into parenting roles.

Latest posts