Dying hair black. Best brand? & Maintaining it?

tara_hearts

Ok, I have medium brown hair and about 2 months ago I dyed the underneath black. I used Ion in Jet Black with a 20 volume developer. It faded super fast though and is just a dark brown now. My questions are..
-Best brand for jet black (not blue black) & I have access to Sally's beauty supply so it can be from there.
-Should I use a 10 volume developer since I only need to deposit? Or should I stick to the 20?
-Best way to maintain the color? I just bought some loreal everpure shampoo (no sulfates) so we will see how that goes!

Any advice would be muchly appreciated
smiles.gif

Tara

xsnowwhite

I've always been happy with wella color charm but I'm not really sure when it comes to black, sorry! But aveda has a shampoo i think called black malva or something and it keeps dark hair DARK because it deposits pigments when you wash / condition with it. That's always an option though it's pretty pricy.

MaskedBeauty

I'm not really sure about black but I dye my hair a really dark brown (everyone thinks its black) and it has a red-violet undertone so in the light it shines a little red. I get it at Sally Beauty Supply and its the loreal professional brand. If you asks one of the worker's at Sally's they should be able to recommend a good brand for you.

MaskedBeauty

Also forgot to say that when I touch up my roots I use 10 volume developer instead of 20 volume because I need the color to be darker since my roots are a light brown.

ShortnSassy

i would really recommend not coloring your hair straight black... that is the mistake alot of women make and then they have such a hard time getting it out! there are lots of dark browns on the market that are very close to black that come out easier than straight black. i agree with maskedbeauty, you should go to sally's and ask someone who works there.

gildedangel

If it's dark brown then a volume 10 should be fine. I don't have black hair, but I find that after I dye my hair the same color a couple of times; it doesn't fade near as fast.

tara_hearts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortnSassy
i would really recommend not coloring your hair straight black... that is the mistake alot of women make and then they have such a hard time getting it out! there are lots of dark browns on the market that are very close to black that come out easier than straight black. i agree with maskedbeauty, you should go to sally's and ask someone who works there.

thats the opposite of my problem, I have dyed it black and it ended up dark brown. I'd like to keep the black as dark as possible.

MizzVivaGlam

I would def only use a 10v. You may want to get a color depositing shampoo too, so it will stay dark. They work by adding a lil color everytime you shampoo so your hair never appears to fade.

tara_hearts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzVivaGlam
I would def only use a 10v. You may want to get a color depositing shampoo too, so it will stay dark. They work by adding a lil color everytime you shampoo so your hair never appears to fade.

Oh cool, I've never heard of that, i'll check it out thanks
smiles.gif

kariii

I made the mistake of dying my hair black.. Trust me, if you ever want to go lighter again. It is such a hassle, I've been trying to get medium brown for almost three months now!

Latest posts