ET TU, URBAN DECAY? UD Is no Longer cruelty-free!

cno64

I'm sorry if this is old news, but Urban Decay recently announced plans to begin marketing its products in China, where animal tests on cosmetics are required by law.
So, Urban Decay, formerly a staunch supporter of humane principals, is losing its cruelty-free status.

If you oppose this about-face in policy, please join me in signing Leaping Bunny's petition.

sideculture

This is such a disappointment. Being cruelty-free is one of the features that attracted me to Urban Decay in the first place. I have signed the petition!

katred

Specktra Bestie
For everyone who let UD know how angry they were at this, please take a moment to pat yourself on the back:

http://www.temptalia.com/urban-decay-decides-not-to-sell-in-china

I still believe- as a makeup fan and as someone who's worked a long time in marketing- that they've done some pretty serious damage to their brand and probably driven some customers off for good. There's no question the whole handling of this issue was a PR disaster for the company.

But the good news is that the public outcry did accomplish something.

Dominique33

It's on their official website : UD is not going to sell in China. They decided to step back and Christine from Temptalia broke the news for all beauty addicts.
Let's hope UD will keep their promises.

congrat.gif
to UD , now please keep your promises !!!

thatKanojo

It's on their official website : UD is not going to sell in China. They decided to step back and Christine from Temptalia broke the news for all beauty addicts.
Let's hope UD will keep their promises.

congrat.gif
to UD , now please keep your promises !!!
I saw it announced on their Twitter: https://twitter.com/UrbanDecay411/status/221329549324070913

Regardless of the source, this is great news! I think so long as the beauty community continues to keep a firm stance about it, they will listen. :)

Naynadine

Veteran Moderator
Staff member
For everyone who let UD know how angry they were at this, please take a moment to pat yourself on the back:

http://www.temptalia.com/urban-decay-decides-not-to-sell-in-china

I still believe- as a makeup fan and as someone who's worked a long time in marketing- that they've done some pretty serious damage to their brand and probably driven some customers off for good. There's no question the whole handling of this issue was a PR disaster for the company.

But the good news is that the public outcry did accomplish something.
iagree.gif

I received an email because I signed up for the live chat, saying that they won't do the chat anymore because they are not selling in China.
I still won't buy their products. To me this decision seems to be based on money, just like their original decision to sell in China. They probably realized how many customers they would lose (or already lost), I'm sure they didn't expect this kind of backlash. Of course I'm happy that they did change their mind, it's nice to see that we as consumers can influence a decison like this if we voice our opinion, but it still doesn't make them look better n my book. I'm pretty sure if people wouldn't have protested that much, they still would be moving into China.

Dominique33

A word is a word yes but the most important here is that they did step back. For business yes of course but what companies are ready and willing to do the same, saying NO to animal cruelty ? I don't know if I'll buy from UD but this is good news for they will remain cruelty free after all, and very few brands are cruelty free, beauty products or not.

cno64

I don't know if I'll buy from UD but this is good news for they will remain cruelty free after all, and very few brands are cruelty free, beauty products or not.
I, too, have very mixed feelings now about Urban Decay. In their most recent statement, they said, "While several factors were important in reaching this decision, ultimately we did not feel we could comply with current regulations in China and remain true to our core principles."
"Ultimately?"
I mean, it should have been *immediately* apparent that they'd be violating their cruelty-free "principles" by entering a market where animal-testing is mandatory.
I am glad that they've reversed their initial decision, and wish that other companies (Hello, Estee Lauder!) would follow their lead, but it seems to me that if a company truly maintains firm principles, it should never even consider violating them. I'd like to see Urban Decay pledge that they will always be cruelty-free, even if it hurts their financial bottom line.

Dominique33

I am glad that they've reversed their initial decision, and wish that other companies (Hello, Estee Lauder!) would follow their lead, but it seems to me that if a company truly maintains firm principles, it should never even consider violating them. I'd like to see Urban Decay pledge that they will always be cruelty-free, even if it hurts their financial bottom line.
Yes I fully agree with you. Violating such fundamental values is very bad and not acceptable from a moral point of vieuw. I hope UD must be cruelty free for always, they started cruelty free some 16 years ago or so, they must remain cruelty free. The naked palette is the most famous eye palette in the world, it sells very very well ( 1st rank of all palettes ! ) so I don't even know if they would suffer financially from not selling in China... Their " core principles " as they say must be respected, there has been petitions all over the web ( in the US I signed them so I really can say some people were furious ) against UD, it's a good thing !
In France it would be great if we could change the legal status of animals and reduce animal testing and experiment as much as possible ( ban is not realistic because of research and sciences ), a ban would be great for all activities excluding research, but non invasive research must be taken into account.

PixieDancer

As of Friday, July 6th apparently Urban Decay has decided NOT to sell in China.
Here's a link to the article: http://www.temptalia.com/urban-decay-decides-not-to-sell-in-china

I am very happy with their decision! I think it's nice when a company isn't too proud to step back, re-evaluate, and admit that they were making a poor choice... Way to step up UD!

Edit: I just saw the heading and posted the new info I'd seen on Temptalia yesterday... Didn't realize it had already been posted above! Sorry about the repost!

Sylvia60

This pretty well sums up my thoughts as well.

Latest posts