Evolution and Creationism in the classroom

duckduck

I just read an article on teaching the origin of life in High School Biology courses, and I would love to hear some other opinions on this subject. My opinion on the subject is pretty simple: teach scientific theories in science class, and keep religious theories to religion class. Either way, I find the subject fascinating, so any opinions or thoughts out there are greatly appreciated!

Hilly

I think Evolution should be taught in the classroom. It is safe to say that most classrooms have students of mixed/differing beliefs/values/religions so if "creationism" were taught in the classroom- opinions would be everywhere. Just as duckduck said, leave science to science class and religion to church or whereever you worship.

Paramnesia

I agree, I think the scientific theory of the origins of life should be taught in science classes and other non-scientific theories either taught in sociology (we had SOSE here, still not sure what that stands for lol) or religious classes.

I'm very against teaching creationism in science, I read a very interesting book on Evolution vs Intelligent design a couple of years ago. I feel the main theory of intelligent design is based on criticism of Darwinism to pose the idea of creationism as being a feasible concept.

benzito_714

I honestly don't remember spending much time on evolution in Bio but then again I may've been sleep. I do agree that the two ideas are separate but I don't think it would hurt to discuss both without going into depth about each religion-acknowledgment of the two schools of thought is fine with me. That's sure enough a hurdle for any teacher.

Shimmer

I love how everyone endorses natural selection/evolution being taught in the classroom, with the 'survival of the fittest' type thing being generally accepted...

until...

A 15 year old decides to cross the train tracks while the cross arms are down and is killed by the oncoming train.
Arguably, that was natural selection working at its finest, and simply nature taking its course in making sure that the human race procreates using favorable genetics. All of a sudden, natural selection isn't such a popular subject of conversation.

xsnowwhite

I remember my bio class and we were taught several different theories. I liked it because even if I disagreed with one, I knew all sides to the theories and it made me much more educated.

We did not discuss religious creation stories, which I think should be left out of science, but people did add their input based on personal beliefs.

Paramnesia

That's very true shimmer.

Though the decision to do such a thing is not primarily based on genetics, rather than a whole variety of behaviours control by more than one factor.

I see natural selection as a 'theory', does it have flaws yes, does it explain everything no.

xoleaxo

i think just evolution should be taught in public classrooms.. then again, i'm an anthropology major so i'm biased.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paramnesia
That's very true shimmer.

Though the decision to do such a thing is not primarily based on genetics, rather than a whole variety of behaviours control by more than one factor.

I see natural selection as a 'theory', does it have flaws yes, does it explain everything no.

Of course, it's just, like I said, when that is pointed out, people are generally *not* receptive to hearing it.
smiles.gif

NicksWifey

I honestly don't remember much about the evolution talk in high school biology or my two biology classes in college. The professor REFUSED to talk about it in college (the first semester of biology) because someone got their panties into a twist when he said he would be bringing it up the next lecture. He said if anyone wanted to talk about it, we could after class. The same person who blew up about it, was always bitching about stuff anyway, so it really didn't surprise me. Oh well, to each their own.

KikiB

I have two different opinions about this.

The first one is that evolution should be taught, because there is the scientific proof behind it, and that creationism should not be taught, or not as much, because of a little thing we like to call separation of church and state.

However, as a Christian, I do believe in some aspects of creationism. When I was younger, we actually had a lecture at our Confirmation class and it showed that evolution and creationism CAN go hand-in-hand...it's a really long story but it really helped shape my beliefs, so in a way I do believe in both evolution and creationism. However the notion of creationism is offensive to many, but I feel that people who do believe it should have the opportunities to seek out the opinions and materials on it.

But nowhere do I believe that it should just be creationism.

SkylarV217

I have issues with a Theory Being taught as FACT. Theory's are fine and dandy but if you are teaching THEORIES you should teach the most widely held beliefs/theories. Since none have been proven or discredited the main theories should all be presented equally. Simply Because one of the most popular theories is based upon religion doesn't mean that it should be withheld from the classroom. Separation of church and state is about the state not backing or forcing one specific religion , not withholding the teaching about all religions. Religious beliefs are crucial to the study of history, sociology , and anthropology. All in All I feel that if you are dealing with theories more than one theory should be presented.

M.A.C. head.

Evolution should be taught in science class, especially in public schools; not religious theory. That should be the job of the churches and private, religion based, schools.

Beauty Mark

When I was taught evolution, we also had a brief mention that it was a theory and some people believe in other things, like a god creating the world.

I think that's the extent of how it should go. I think it's perfectly fine to mention that there are other possibilities, but there shouldn't be anything else. It's damn near impossible to cover all theology stories about the creation of the world, and IMO, it has better place in a world religion class than in a biology class

xoleaxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarV217
I have issues with a Theory Being taught as FACT. Theory's are fine and dandy but if you are teaching THEORIES you should teach the most widely held beliefs/theories. Since none have been proven or discredited the main theories should all be presented equally. Simply Because one of the most popular theories is based upon religion doesn't mean that it should be withheld from the classroom. Separation of church and state is about the state not backing or forcing one specific religion , not withholding the teaching about all religions. Religious beliefs are crucial to the study of history, sociology , and anthropology. All in All I feel that if you are dealing with theories more than one theory should be presented.

evolution is a fact. HOW we evolved can be explained in different theories.

Shadowy Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoleaxo

iagree.gif
I'm with the evolution pack as well. I think kids should learn the facts. Not something out of a book written some thousand years ago. I don't have kids yet, but when I do, i will send them to a school that supports my kind of thinking: science over religion any day!

SkylarV217

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoleaxo

Yes people and animals evolve and have evolved that is fact, but the theory of evolution as creation is the theory I am speaking of. I know certain parts of Evolution have been proven and can be seen directly... The theory of Man evolving from Apes can not / has not been proven. Thats what I have a problem with. I have taken Anthropology
yes.gif

carrieann07

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarV217
Yes people and animals evolve and have evolved that is fact, but the theory of evolution as creation is the theory I am speaking of. I know certain parts of Evolution have been proven and can be seen directly... The theory of Man evolving from Apes can not / has not been proven. Thats what I have a problem with. I have taken Anthropology
yes.gif

iagree.gif

SingFrAbsoltion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer

A 15 year old decides to cross the train tracks while the cross arms are down and is killed by the oncoming train.
Arguably, that was natural selection working at its finest, and simply nature taking its course in making sure that the human race procreates using favorable genetics. All of a sudden, natural selection isn't such a popular subject of conversation.

That's not really nature. Just an unfortunate incident. Natural selection is when favorable traits that benefit survival of the species are passed down. Because of these different traits species evolve, the traits that are not beneficial die out. I understand what you were trying to say, it's just it doesn't really have to do with evolution, I wouldn't think of that situation in that way. It's sad, but it's a single incident and doesn't affect the human species(in the sense of evolution). But I do agree that when a touchy subject like that gets involved people change opinions.

As for me, I'm a bio major, I don't want to hear about creationism and I don't give a crap about it. My professor told the class that everyone could believe what they want but he'd only teach evolution, because it's science and creationism is religion, and since that's a different subject it had no place in the classroom.

Latest posts