Fallen Princesses - Disney Princesses Clash With Reality

alka1

JPG Magazine: Stories: The Project: Fallen Princesses

Quote:
These works place Fairy Tale characters in modern day scenarios. In all of the images the Princess is placed in an environment that articulates her conflict. The '...happily ever after' is replaced with a realistic outcome and addresses current issues.

thoughts? loyal Disney fans aren't too happy about the Princesses being portrayed outside their fairy-tale world.. They're harmless pictures so I don't see the problem, and I say that being a Disney fan myself. I love the concept and I think it was executed really well. My favorite - Snow White as a housewife
greengrin.gif

Tahti

What an awesome concept!
I love it, I wouldn't be too pleased though if it had included Pocahontas... she was my childhood hero ;D

The one of Jasmine is the best, or Rapunzel IMO. Actually they're all fantastic, I can't pick!

moopoint

I loved that. Making the traditional characters so contemporary. Makes them seem less "fairy tale" like.

gildedangel

This is awesome! What a creative way to bring attention to current issues, I can't decide if I like the Belle one or the Jasmine one better!

franimal

I like
yes.gif

I wanna see mulan and ariel! I'm just imagining what kind of crazy scenario they would put those two in, hmmm.......

COBI

Guess I'm the only one that's not really impressed.
shrugs.gif

I understand the concept, but I think the actual executions seem incomplete and thrown together IMHO, almost amateurish versus exhibit-worthy.

There are only one or two that I'd consider well-balanced composition- and lighting-wise.

I know it seems nit-picky, but I think if you are going to do something like take on Disney characters (likely because of the attention it would draw), then they should be spot-on.

Then, again, maybe these aren't the final exhibit versions.

ForgetRegret

LOL I love the Jasmine one too...but the one comment is right on...what's up with the ammo belts for a gun that takes magazines...hehehe I'm not angry about it like the guy is who commented, but it *is* a funny observation...

xsnowwhite

I agree with Cobi. The idea sounded cool but the pictures look pretty unprofessional to me. And where is Alice?

Lauren1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatalieR429
way cool..and yes they should do a pocahontas...she rocked.

thats what i was thinking
yes.gif

IDontKnowMomo

I think trying to make a huge statement about characters from children's movies is a little ridiculous. I wouldn't want my kids watching anything less than the innocent, slightly moral laced Disney movies. I just don't really get picking on something like this...

aggrolounge

I've gotta say, this is really lame. There's nothing wrong with young girls dreaming about happy scenarios and people. And there's nothing "modern" about these depictions... people have always been drunks and had cancer and been fat. Fairy tales are glorified for a reason. Among other things, this is just really cheesy.

ForgetRegret

I don't think anyone was saying there's anything wrong with the Disney stories, or the princesses, and maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think she was picking on them either. I think it was more taking the perfect worlds of them and injecting the "what if" factor...personally, I found it amusing.

kaliraksha

I also like it, but wish the idea had been carried out better. I also like that it reminds us that Disney has changed some of these stories from what they really were. I read the Grimm brothers fairy tale book when I was young and it was really dark. What I hate, is that Disney or some other animation studio's version becomes so famous that people don't know the real or original stories... Pocahontas has plenty of historical inaccuracies and then I have people arguing with me what happened with Pocahontas based on the Disney version.

LiAnn

Keep in mind that these characters and stories predate Disney by several hundred years. The photographer is taking contemporary visuals of the characters - recognized in those formats because of Disney in the mass media, more recognized than any of the woodcuts or other illustrations of these tales - and playing the stories out a bit.

Go back and read the oldest known versions of these fairytales - which are not the oldest versions, just the oldest written forms thereof. They speak to the times in which they were popular, and are not the "sanitized" modernized Disney versions - which are pretty spunsugar fantasies, but are ONLY fantasies. If you only want your kid to live in a perfect, uncluttered Disney version of the world...good luck, to both you and them. (They'll really need it, especially if they have to cope with some situations that just aren't covered in Disney's versions of stories and haven't ever learned how to do so.)

Latest posts