Foundation & powder?

oddinary

When it comes to foundation, I'm a MAC newbie. At the moment, I'm still using some low end cheap stuff - but it's not doing the trick for me anymore.

There's plenty to choose from on the MAC site - I just don't know what to get. I want something that will help me cover my spots and oily skin... I am about a NC25-30.

Thank you so much!

If you could also LMK the price, that would be great :p

askewchick

Your skin type and the coverage effect you're going for is crucial to any decision about foundation.

Some people with oily skin prefer Studio Fix powder compact foundation for a satin/matte texture. I'm not a fan since I find it kind of chalky, but lots of people adore this.

Hyper-real is liquid with this pearly effect that catches the light and adds a dewey look. Again, I don't like this because it looks to me like the person wearing it has been sweating for days.

Studio Tech is a creamy compact foundation that offers a surprisingly natural finish if applied sheerly. The downside to this is that it can break people out like crazy, depending on their skin type.

Select Tint is a liquid foundation with ultra-light/sheer finish. Very subtle, but doesn't cover a lot.

Select SPF 15 is a good solid foundation for medium coverage. Nothing incredible, but not bad.

Face & Body is kind of like a tinted moisturizer. This can be quite greasy-looking, though and has been known to break people out.

Full Coverage Foundation is a very thick, creamy compact foundation that is best for photo shoots. This will cover anything, but is very cakey and obvious. Also not good for skin that breaks out.

Moistureblend Compact Foundation is a creamy foundation for dry skin. I've never tried this, but the reviews I've seen have been disappointing. Very emolient and greasy, also causes breakouts.

Matte Foundation is liquid that dries to a very matte, heavy finish. Ick.

Satin Foundation is not the best coverage, but is quite lightweight and straightforward. Good for subtlety with a bit of coverage.

Basically your best bet is to get yourself to a counter/store and try the different types out to see what works for you. Try to get a sample if you can and give it a shot for a week to see the effect it has on your skin.

Check MAC's website for prices.

canadiangirl_1117

I've got combo skin and I use StudioFix. But if I apply it with the sponge, it's waay to heavy and makes my dry patches really flakey. I just use a big powder brush and do a light sweep of my face--enough to cover, but not so much that it cakes and creases. And I moisturize the heck outta my face first.

xxyrbestbetxx

if you're very prone to breakouts, i wouldn't recommend MAC foundation. i have combo skin but with really bad acne scars and loveeeeed studio tech, but after a few hours, i already had new pimples showing up. but it does give you a flawless finish.

have you tried bare essentials spf foundation? flawless coverage and definitely doesn't make anyone break out.

right now, i use select spf foundation for my tzone and brush the BE foundation all over my face for a flawless loook. BE also makes you skin have this natural glow, but nothing too shiny.

my tzone is reallllly shiny, but i use mac's blot powder and it works wonders.

i hope this kinda helped.

foreveratorifan

personally my favorite brands of foundations i have tried are Prescriptives and Lancome....

although I have heard that Giorgio Armani is amazing (wish i had some nearby me to try, but i don't!)....

RussianSexpot

I second the previous statement: If you breakout easily or are prone to breakouts MAC isn't a good foundation for you. You can always look into Bare Essentials too, many people on here use it religiously and can probably tell you more about it....

mich.

Latest posts