• As of January 16, 2018, all posts in this section are moderated. Please engage with the community within the rest of the forums, remembering that you may not post your own tutorial links outside this section. Also remember to put your content in the proper space.

Tutorials posted outside this space will be removed. If you post a tutorial in this space and you don't make an effort to participate in the community outside this section, your post will be deleted.

Get some real use out of those LE compacts!

redambition

I got my barbie compact.. and love it. To get more use out of it, i worked out a way of getting the shroud out of a MAC compact so I can swap a normal pressed powder into an LE compact.

What you need:

A soft surface to work on (I use my bed. whatever surface you use, make sure the compacts are always close to it in case anything drops.)
Your compacts
nail file (the less rough the better, i use an extra fine nail file).

*note: i use the nail file because it's flat, has no blade edge and is kind of flexible... all these things help to minimise the chance of damage to the compact or the shroud.

ok - let's start! look at your compact. you will see where the shroud sits on top of the casing. what you need to do is carefully work your nail file in between the shroud and the casing right near the hinge area. hold the nail file horizontally and go gently to avoid damage. don't insert the nail file too far in.

once you have a bit of a gap going, slide your thumb into the gap to hold it open, and to widen it a little more. (you won't get your whole thumb in there)

now, holding the gap open, choose a spot near-ish where the gap closes up again and carefully slide the nail file in almost perpendicular to the shroud. don't jiggle it around, and most of all do not twist it as it will damage your compact. just carefully ease it in, going as far as you can. what you are trying to do is get it in far enough to go totally under the shroud, not just under the lip of the shroud. as you get it in the right spot the gap will widen.

now, the scary part
smiles.gif
using the nail file as a lever, gently prise out the shroud. basically, you just grab the part of the nail file that's hanging out of your compact and gently push it down. again, do not twist the file... if you do you will gouge out a part of the compact and the shroud.

you'll hear a crack and the shroud will come flying out - hence the soft work surface. if the opening mechanism comes flying out as well (sometimes they do) just sit it back in the case, making sure you've got it the right way up.

what you end up with - an empty compact case, and the powder and shroud... ready to go into an LE compact that has been prepared the same way! (note... my pics above show my select sheer getting the treatment, the powder below is the barbie loves mac pearl blossom BP.)

Jacq-i

You're a genious!! Now I'm just dying to find some Diana Ross pink bp cases on eBay!!

elisha24

Oh you are a legend. I love my Diana Ross pink chrome compact, but its almost empty. I was almost crying about the thought of using it as B2M

xbrookecorex

My boyfriend actually thought of this idea too when I was gushing over the Barbie compact! He was like 'once it's gone, cant you... depot... or whatever... and put your regular powder in it instead?'. So smart! Thanks for showing us that it works!

makeupgal

That is genius!!! Thanks so much for this. I was just thinking about my Barbie compact yesterday and how sad that I will eventually not be able to use it.....not anymore!
clap.gif

hunnybun

oh my gosh -- this may just be the best idea of all time!!!

i bought a ton of barbie beauty powder bc i love the design so much but never touch the stuff bc it looks horrible on my skin.

time for blot to meet barbie.....

Love Always Ivy

what powders can fit in these? i was wondering about studio fix powder or blot powder.....

and if lets say you cant put your studio fix powder in it, is there a way to change just the pan without ruining the rest of the compact and insert?

this is a great tutorial by the way thanks for sharing it

redambition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Always Ivy
what powders can fit in these? i was wondering about studio fix powder or blot powder.....

and if lets say you cant put your studio fix powder in it, is there a way to change just the pan without ruining the rest of the compact and insert?

this is a great tutorial by the way thanks for sharing it

im not sure what type of compact Studio Fix comes in as i don't use it, but blot and Select Sheer come in the same size compact, so blot should be able to fit into the LE compacts
smiles.gif

I'm unaware of a way of just getting the pan out as these are glued into the insert (much like eyeshadow pans). if you heat it in any way you're likley to buckle the insert and then it won't fit back in properly. also, given the pan is so large it might be tough to get it out without damaging the product.

you have now awoken my "insane must know answers" lemming. i am SO popping out the insert of my old blot powder and going to try and figure out a way of getting the pan out without cosmetically damaging the insert. heh heh heh.

Perple1

Sheer Genius. Now I'm sad I don't have MY L/E compact! I can bet you that I will commit this nifty idea to memory for the NEXT Diva L/E compact!

Latest posts