Glasses + Makeup?

silverblackened

What would you recommend for someone who almost always wears glasses? Specifically on the eyes, of course, but I'm such a n00b that every little bit of help counts, LOL. I did a search on here and found an old thread about this, but nothing really conclusive.

I have really high myopia and sensitive eyes, so I can't wear contacts very often (only when I have to, for performances) and frankly, I'm stumped. I'm more of a lip girl and tend to just do a dark eyeliner (no waterline!), period. Not even mascara, partly because of my eyes and also because my lashes are naturally pretty long and not that sparse anyway; I did try it a couple of times, but mostly I just ended up mucking up my glasses.
th_dunno.gif

I should also mention that I have almost-hooded lids, dark brown eyes, black hair, NC20-25 skin, and several pairs of glasses that I frequently change around to match my outfit for the day: a black frame, a purple frame, a bright turquoise frame, and a really funky plastic pair that's red on the rims, blue on the inside (facing me) rims, and black on the arms.

Any and all help to save me from boring-dom - and increase my MACspenditure! - would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading!

saniyairshad

Always apply makeup to the whole face. Do not ignore the lips or cheeks or you will create an imbalance.

The eyebrows should be even with the top of the frame or a bit higher.

Eye color can be deeper shade than usual since glasses will actually lighten the color.

Eye color should be used in moderation. Use a color other than black or brown, such as a soft gray.

Mascara is a must.

When wearing a larger frame, apply blush on cheekbone so it can be seen through lenses.

If the frame is a strong color than makeup should be balanced with a strong lip color.

Tubachick02

I wear my specs all the time as well, really pointy vintage cats eyes. I usually wear bright colors and just make sure it is well blended or very simple since my glasses magnify everything. make sure your entire face is done esp blush. I don't do eye pencils very often as they are too hard to blend enough so it does not look drawn instead i use a powder liner so that I can blend and not have that line, then follow with a clear mascara after curling.

user79

Lara did a tutorial for how to best wear makeup if you have glasses. Check the tutorial section.
smiles.gif

silverblackened

Oh yikes, thanks mena22787 and MissChievous for pointing out that thread to me - it didn't come up when I searched, but maybe I didn't do the search right. That was incredibly helpful.
smiles.gif

Tubachick02, what brush do you use for your powder liner? I have the same problem with harsh pencil lines, but liquid liners are usually a bad idea for me.

Do any of you ladies have any recommendations for specific e/s colours/combinations that would work well for me, as a sort of starter kit? I own all of two MAC e/s (Woodwinked and Vanilla); the rest of my stash are cheap, barely-pigmented drugstore lines because I haven't felt the need to do my eyes up till recently. I'd especially love to see suggestions for more colours - I love bright colours.
smiles.gif
To reiterate, I'm NC20/25, black hair, dark brown eyes. And a very MAC-willing wallet, LOL.

Beauty Mark

Any dark purples and plums will work and make your eyes pop.

I would also make sure you groom your brows and pencil them in, if they're fainted. It makes a world of difference on your face/eyes if you have great brows.

Tubachick02

Truthfully I use an American Painter 2300 Shader I got at Michael's Craft Store, but it is sorta similar to a 212, but i have used an angled one as well it all depends on the person for what works.

As for colors, vanilla and woodwinked are a good start, and i agree with the plums and browns would look great. You never said where you wanted to go lookwise, the plums and browns will be a ver natural look, is that what you want?

Fell free to IM me with questions

silverblackened

I'm glad I love purples and plums now, LOL. My brows are naturally dark without being too thick, but I've been lazy about grooming them lately, other than threading to keep them shaped. I'll definitely have to start taking better care of them; thanks, Beauty Mark.

Tubachick02, I have a brush similar to the 212 that I've only used twice before, I think, so I will try it with powder liner. Natural is a good look to start with, but I'd also like to try more exciting colours - I'm gravitating towards silver/whites to go with purples for a start, but I'm not sure how well the lighter colours will show up on me. I guess I'll just have to haul ass down to a MAC counter (oh, the horror!) to try them on, if you think it might work for me. Would you mind me adding you on my MSN?

The L'Oreal girl at the departmental store I was at yesterday told me (even though I was nowhere near her counter, as she was bored!) pinks and greens would suit me best, and showed me a bunch of pastel e/s combinations that she thought would work on me. Personally, I like greens, but dislike pink, and am not that keen on pastels; I love bright or intense colours. But she should know what she's talking about, at least a little, so I'm a little confused right now, LOL.

triccc

I would say golds, blues or pinks for your browns eyes. that would bring attention to your brown eyes.

and they would all look good with all the different colored glasses you wear.

ginger9

The great thing about brown eyes and dark hair is that you can just about wear any colour! I LOVE greens, purples and browns personally. My fav greens are Sumptuous Olive, Teal p/m, nightlight p/m and Humid.

If you haven't tried f/l I highly recommend it for lining your eyes, these babies are smudge-proof and budge-proof. If you like a softer line then I would just go over it with a dark shadow and smudge that for a softer look.

I wear glasses sometimes and I find my lashes touch my lenses even though they are not particularly long. But I find curling them usually helps and as someone suggested clear mascara may be all that you'll need.

Lastly, depending on the size of your frames, it may affect how you wear eye make up. My glasses are quite small and "cuts" my lid space in half so I keep that in mind when I put on my eye makeup. HTH

Latest posts