Going off to college!

vivaXglamlove

So I'm going off to college and I'm beyond nervous. I'm going to major in early education with a minor in photography.
I was wondering if anyone has any tips or any helpful information about college.
I was also wondering if how am I gonna bring my makeup?! where to store it?! traincase?! so many questions!

gildedangel

Are you moving into dorms? I have a 3-drawer organizer for my makeup that sits on top of the counter. Don't be nervous about college; it is a bit of a shock at first but you get used to it quickly! Just stay calm! Oh, and I find it super helpful to have a planner for all of my homework and classes and such. Be sure to know where all of your classes are and just enjoy yourself! I am going back in a week and a half myself! HTH!

vivaXglamlove

Yes, I'll be living in a dorm. 3-drawer system is what I use now, I just dont want my makeup to out in the open sorta?
thanks for the tips! Quote:
Originally Posted by gildedangel
Are you moving into dorms? I have a 3-drawer organizer for my makeup that sits on top of the counter. Don't be nervous about college; it is a bit of a shock at first but you get used to it quickly! Just stay calm! Oh, and I find it super helpful to have a planner for all of my homework and classes and such. Be sure to know where all of your classes are and just enjoy yourself! I am going back in a week and a half myself! HTH!

gildedangel

Well that will depend on how your dorm is set up, I find that the bathroom in my dorm has the best lighting, but my dorm doesn't have communal bathroom. I shared a bathroom with my roommate and another room. You could also buy a small desk and set up your makeup there, like a vanity! I was originally going to do my makeup on my dresser, but that didn't work out well.

aeroerin

Well, as for the makeup, I don't have a large collection, so I just keep it in a few makeup bags.

As for more of the dorm-ssentials, I made a quick list off the top of my head recently for a friend going into her freshman year:

a tea stash for late nights + a coffee mug to heat the water in, the ability to sneak bowls/plates/silverware from the dining halls, PAPER TOWELS, a foam-y mattress topper (find one cheap) that makes your bed infinitely more comfy, RAINBOOTS, oh, and find someplace (like the student stores) that have large plastic bags to wrap your laptop in when it rains (if you have/need one), again if you have a laptop: buy an external harddrive!! you will have computer problems and you may need to have your stuff saved, a small table just to throw stuff on or put your easymac on right out of the microwave. oh, and bring a really cozy blanket. ^^

and I would also add a water filter/pitcher, because you do not want to drink tap water or water from the water fountains, which can still taste funky. my roomie & I last year used the crap out of that brita filter!!

I wish I could have known all this going into my freshman year, but as an all-knowing sophomore (THAT'S a laugh) I guess you can benefit from my mistakes! HTH!

EDIT: this website also has a great comprehensive list of things that you may want to consider to bring.

I'd also suggest a thermometer, some cold meds and tylenol/motrin, because you WILL get sick and campus health will be able to help you so much more if you can actually track your temp during a fever!

vivaXglamlove

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroerin
Well, as for the makeup, I don't have a large collection, so I just keep it in a few makeup bags.

As for more of the dorm-ssentials, I made a quick list off the top of my head recently for a friend going into her freshman year:

a tea stash for late nights + a coffee mug to heat the water in, the ability to sneak bowls/plates/silverware from the dining halls, PAPER TOWELS, a foam-y mattress topper (find one cheap) that makes your bed infinitely more comfy, RAINBOOTS, oh, and find someplace (like the student stores) that have large plastic bags to wrap your laptop in when it rains (if you have/need one), again if you have a laptop: buy an external harddrive!! you will have computer problems and you may need to have your stuff saved, a small table just to throw stuff on or put your easymac on right out of the microwave. oh, and bring a really cozy blanket. ^^

and I would also add a water filter/pitcher, because you do not want to drink tap water or water from the water fountains, which can still taste funky. my roomie & I last year used the crap out of that brita filter!!

I wish I could have known all this going into my freshman year, but as an all-knowing sophomore (THAT'S a laugh) I guess you can benefit from my mistakes! HTH!

EDIT: this website also has a great comprehensive list of things that you may want to consider to bring.

I'd also suggest a thermometer, some cold meds and tylenol/motrin, because you WILL get sick and campus health will be able to help you so much more if you can actually track your temp during a fever!

Thanks for all the tips!
<3!!

Stephy171

Ah this is so exciting... i remember freshman year (last year) man its great... the experience of a lifetime seriously its ruff in the begining but its a real good thing to go through... My advice will be to network girl... get out there dont be sshy and make friends!!!
As for makeup i kept mine in a traincase under my desk... my real anal about my things lol dunno why but it worked well and i would do my makeup sitting on my desk... push the laptop back and dring out my big ole mirror
smiles.gif

Good luck... im so excited i go back in about a week and a half lol
smiles.gif

reem2790

i'll be moving to chicago for school next spring, and my advice to you would be to STAY ORGANIZED AT ALL COSTS. the slightest disorganization could throw you off completely and put you into procrastination mode (NOT a good idea), but all in all dont be nervous! it's really a fun experience!!

AngelBunny

Good luck!

My best advice (from someone who managed to survive and get a degree with two babies) GO TO CLASS! It is SO tempting to skip occasionally because you are tired/need to study/want to shop. But once you start that cycle it just goes downhill. Don't skip class ... even though no one is making you go ... you will thank yourself in the long run.

I never lived in a dorm so that sounds so exciting to me. Good luck!

Babylard

yeah... try not to skip... and eat your breakfast... try to avoid mr noodle. it makes u feel like crap.

go to walmart and buy those 6 drawer stands that come on wheels. and if u want to hide it just throw a cloth over it. or home depot or superstore.. whatever is available to you.

lock your door all the time and dont leave your laundry unattended. you'd be surprised by how fast it can disapear lol...... i had it happen to a friend

chocolategoddes

I hope you don't mind if I add on to your question instead of making a new related thread:

What makeup products should someone bring to school?
I don't want to take my whole collection but I want to be able to still play with makeup on occasion.

noahlowryfan

Since you will be living in the dorms, its good to know what your school will let you bring and not bring. My baby brother is going off to college in 2 weeks and will be living in the dorms and the school won't let him bring extension cords so having a desktop computer in his room is off the list.

hawaii02

I was in Target yesterday with a lot of girls moving into dorms. Bring towels and lots of blankets. It sounds awkward right now, but my daughter's friend always tells her to bring some blankets.

vivaXglamlove

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolategoddes
I hope you don't mind if I add on to your question instead of making a new related thread:

What makeup products should someone bring to school?
I don't want to take my whole collection but I want to be able to still play with makeup on occasion.

Perfect question!
I don't want to bring like 12 msf's and not use them or something happens to them.

Stephy171

How Much to Bring?

It really depends how far u will be from home and what do you kknow u use on a regular basis.... Usually i keep to the same face stuff unless im going to a party or something.... i take all my makeup which isnt that much just because i live 2 hours from home.. and in the begining i hated planing to wear something then not having it with me

all of my things fit in a big traincase i got online so i just lug it up there.... when i go home for the weekend i plan everything out (lol super anal) and just take a small MU bag

LMD84

how much make up should you take?

personally i would make up a quad or palette of your face colours - for example i have a quad of my fave purples, a quad of blues, a quad of greens and a quad of highlighters. pigment samples are also good take take because they're so small and multi purpose! (well some are multi purpose!) and try and limit yourself to a pinky blush, a plummy blush and a peachy blush. and maybe one msf. as well as the everyday basics such as powder, foundation and concelear
smiles.gif

Latest posts