Gratis question for Counter Managers

colorlvr

I work for Lancome as a counter manager and I have been there one month, and still no word on when I can order gratis.

I am getting tired of going in early to put my makeup on with the testers - and I cleaned out my makeup case at home and gave most of it away to make room for my new Lancome items. Stupid!
th_confused_new.gif

I don't want to be too forward, but, I really would love to know when I can order gratis - is there a probation period in department stores - do I have to work there 90 days before I can get gratis? I am just surprised no one has mentioned it to me yet. My account manager just casually mentioned how much I will get, but not WHEN I am "eligible" so to speak.

Any thoughts?

armywife85613

When I was a counter manager there was not a probationary period before receiving gratis. A few times a year we would just get notification that we had gratis available and they would give us the information to log onto the website to order. I think that is how all counters work. Normally they will let you go into the unused returns and grab your foundation color or something when you start though. I would ask when gratis time is coming up and if it is too far away, tell them about your issue with showing up early to do your makeup. They will probably just tell you to grab a few things to tide you over. Also, if you haven't been to class yet...when you go you should get some stuff. HTH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorlvr
I work for Lancome as a counter manager and I have been there one month, and still no word on when I can order gratis.

I am getting tired of going in early to put my makeup on with the testers - and I cleaned out my makeup case at home and gave most of it away to make room for my new Lancome items. Stupid!
th_confused_new.gif

I don't want to be too forward, but, I really would love to know when I can order gratis - is there a probation period in department stores - do I have to work there 90 days before I can get gratis? I am just surprised no one has mentioned it to me yet. My account manager just casually mentioned how much I will get, but not WHEN I am "eligible" so to speak.

Any thoughts?

colorlvr

I guess the reason I haven't come out and asked is because I don't want to be tacky or too forward - they are really leary at my counter because no one sticks around - they've had the worst luck with employees - they put all kinds of money and training into them, and they up and leave them 4 months later.

I don't want them to think I'm in it just for the perks or something.

But regardless - I think it is time to ask some questions. I am really getting sick of going in early to apply makeup!

colorlvr

Armywife- how did you receive your notification that it was gratis time? Did you get an email, or a memo, or just a word from a manager?

Ruby_Woo

You should ask because Lancome has gratis 2 times a year. Once in February and the second time in August. I would definetly double check, or you will have to wait till Feb :s

BEA2LS

i would ask, they might be able to give you some ahead of time, it's an honest question.. let us know
smiles.gif

armywife85613

They would email me and I would receive it in the mail (at the counter).

Quote:
Armywife- how did you receive your notification that it was gratis time? Did you get an email, or a memo, or just a word from a manager?

colorlvr

Hi guys!

I asked my account manager about gratis finally - he said that our season starts Sep 16, and we'll be given directions on how to order at our Basic class which is being held Sep 3.

Thanks for all the advice - I am eagerly counting down until gratis season!

Now - my next question - once you order, how long does it take to come in???

dulcekitty

Quote:
Hi guys!

I asked my account manager about gratis finally - he said that our season starts Sep 16, and we'll be given directions on how to order at our Basic class which is being held Sep 3.

Thanks for all the advice - I am eagerly counting down until gratis season!

Now - my next question - once you order, how long does it take to come in???

My L gratis usually arrived in about 1-2 weeks. It usually doesn't take that long.

colorlvr

Ok - I have another question related to gratis...

I am thinking of getting some things to get me by until my gratis date. We are in presale for our GWP right now, so if I get the right things, I can probably limp along for a good while.

I was thinking, I won't need mascara, shadow, or lips yet (that will be in the GWP) so maybe I'll get some foundation, concealer, base, and a MU brush or two... then use my gratis for skin care items, and some more color.

Thoughts??

malaviKat

I'm going to apologize in advance if this sounds incredibly rude - I am neither a makeup artist, nor do I work (or have any experience) at a makeup counter. Surely you didn't get rid of every last product in your traincase?! What's so exciting about this gratis date exactly?

User27

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaviKat
I'm going to apologize in advance if this sounds incredibly rude - I am neither a makeup artist, nor do I work (or have any experience) at a makeup counter. Surely you didn't get rid of every last product in your traincase?! What's so exciting about this gratis date exactly?

My friend said she ordered a few hundred dollars worth of free items and was amped about a micro-dermabrasion kit. They order whatever when they reach their date and it arrives to them a week or two later. The girl that posted this has been having to arrive early to prepare for her work day and needs to get a hold of products to resituate. I could see getting excited and parting ways thinking the new would be there quicker. My friend always invested in skin serums and things like that but her skin is flawless and she gave me a Primordiale Cell Defense serum. It's still here because I never knew if it minimalized like she said because I'm clueless past a few things.

Good luck with your job colorlvr and I'd get annoyed with testers quick too but it's shaping up for you at least.
smiles.gif

colorlvr

Mallavicat - I absolutely did reduce my traincase MOST thoroughly when I got this job with Lancome. I used to be a Clinique girl, and gave 95% of it away to my sister. I am down to a few drops of foundation/concealer, and their brown eyeliner. Frankly, the quality difference between Clinique and Lancome is staggering (IMHO) so the sooner I can fully convert, the better!! Wearing Clinique to my Lancome counter job would not have worked, anyways - because, I can't bear the thought of someone seeing my smudged mascara/eyeliner and creased shadow and thinking its Lancome! Hope this clears up some confusion.

malaviKat

Quote:
Mallavicat - I absolutely did reduce my traincase MOST thoroughly when I got this job with Lancome. I used to be a Clinique girl, and gave 95% of it away to my sister. I am down to a few drops of foundation/concealer, and their brown eyeliner. Frankly, the quality difference between Clinique and Lancome is staggering (IMHO) so the sooner I can fully convert, the better!! Wearing Clinique to my Lancome counter job would not have worked, anyways - because, I can't bear the thought of someone seeing my smudged mascara/eyeliner and creased shadow and thinking its Lancome! Hope this clears up some confusion.

Ah yeah... that does explain things. For a while it just seemed like you'd given away all your makeup and couldn't buy/didn't want to buy anything retail and I thought that was a strange situation. Sorry for my obvious misinterpretation! Good luck with your new job and congrats on the gratis!

kippeydale

When I worked for Lancome, I was disappointed to find that not everything that was available at the counter was available on the gratis website. They didn't have some of the "nicer" skincare products or all of the different types of cleansers, etc. When I ordered, I was able to order a bottle of Photogenic Lumessance and Dual-Finish on top of my designated gratis amount.
Another unfortunate issue with gratis is that you have to use EXACTLY the amount of gratis you were allotted...therefore, you might end up getting products because the price was right, rather than because you wanted it. Make sure you prioritize!
I mainly ended up getting brushes---not all of the ones I wanted due to having to pick out products that added up to a specific amount. I had to throw in a few random products I hadn't considered though.
I also took the advice of a veteran and didn't buy brushes that were going to be in a holiday gift set later as the brushes in our gift sets are the same, only with a shorter handle.
My counter manager also put together a makeup kit for me when I was hired, so I could actually wear Lancome products at the counter...and she let me take as many foundation samples as I wanted!

colorlvr

Hmm- well now I don't know WHAT to do.

I actually presaled some Teinte Idole, Dual Finish, and Effacernes concealer today so I can get the GWP in a few weeks, and if I will have the opportunity to order it from gratis ON TOP of my normal gratis amount, then this would be wasteful.

If I were to splurge and buy $100 worth of product right now to bridge me over until gratis starts, what would y'all recommend?

Latest posts