Hair color emergency!

duckduck

Hi everyone! Let me start by saying I am an engineer. This means that I have all of the aesthetic sense of a mentally challenged frog. This past Halloween, I had "temporarily" dyed my hair black, and always intended to lighten it afterwards. After many failed attempts to do so, I am going tomorrow to get it professionally done. Thing is, once they've bleached or stripped it, I need a new color to put in, and I have no idea what that color should be! So please, anyone who is good with colors, aesthetics, etc. help me make a choice! My skin tone is MAC C2, eyes are green-gray, eyebrows naturally deep brown, and natural hair color was a dirty blonde. I just made the appointment this afternoon, and wanted help ASAP, so I grabbed some pics of me with different past hair colors (as well as the current color) off of the Internet. You might notice I smile a lot
greengrin.gif

Older Pics:
Me5.jpg

Me1.jpg

Me2.jpg

Me3.jpg

From January 1st, 2008:

Me6.jpg

Red, brown, blonde, purple? Anything but the black - it washes me out, is too difficult to maintain, and only really looks good on me when it is curled. I have no qualms about going back to a red or brown, but the specific shade eludes me. Any help at all before tomorrow would be massively appreciated!

Here are some colors for reference
smiles.gif
http://www.bodyofgrace.com/art/HerbavitaColorChart.jpg

Amaranth

Haha, hey! Don't diss the purple, my hair is currently that colour!

I think you'd look great with something on the copperish side (not straight-up copper, but something with a hint of it). But if you thought BLACK was hard to maintain, the red will drive you in-freakin-sane. It's even worse than purple! So if you can't take the red, I think a light mocha-ish colour would be nice, if you get what I mean. Like, one of those creamy light brown colours. That should be MUCH easier to handle, too!

greentwig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranth
But if you thought BLACK was hard to maintain, the red will drive you in-freakin-sane. So if you can't take the red, I think a light mocha-ish colour would be nice, if you get what I mean. Like, one of those creamy light brown colours. That should be MUCH easier to handle, too!

What she said ^^
cutey.gif

duckduck

Quote:
Haha, hey! Don't diss the purple, my hair is currently that colour!

I think you'd look great with something on the copperish side (not straight-up copper, but something with a hint of it). But if you thought BLACK was hard to maintain, the red will drive you in-freakin-sane. It's even worse than purple! So if you can't take the red, I think a light mocha-ish colour would be nice, if you get what I mean. Like, one of those creamy light brown colours. That should be MUCH easier to handle, too!

Mine actually used to be a purple-red! I loved it, but I think I wanted something a little lighter for summer
smiles.gif
But yeah, purple hair is hot! Dark brown/black is hard for me to handle b/c of my blonde roots. I never minded the roots with the reddish hair - the difference wasn't as striking (2nd picture has some serious rootage), but I definitely couldn't handle the red in your user pic. So you think a light mocha color? Maybe like color 4D or 5N here: http://www.bodyofgrace.com/art/HerbavitaColorChart.jpg Thanks so much!!

stacylynne

Maybe a med. warm brown w/ auburn, caramel or copper highlights to frame your face. I think that would look so pretty on you & bring out your eyes.
Hope this helps
smiles.gif

Amaranth

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckduck
Mine actually used to be a purple-red! I loved it, but I think I wanted something a little lighter for summer
smiles.gif
But yeah, purple hair is hot! Dark brown/black is hard for me to handle b/c of my blonde roots. I never minded the roots with the reddish hair - the difference wasn't as striking (2nd picture has some serious rootage), but I definitely couldn't handle the red in your user pic. So you think a light mocha color? Maybe like color 4D or 5N here: http://www.bodyofgrace.com/art/HerbavitaColorChart.jpg Thanks so much!!

Ooh, I love the purple-reds, but salon colours never lasted on me. The red in my display picture was a colour I made myself out of various vegetable dyes, and I had to redye it every 2 weeks or so. I didn't mind though, I liked doing it and it kept it SUPER bright, plus it was a vegetable dye so my hair didn't hate me. I'm essentially doing the same thing now, but I can go a little closer to three weeks with the purple before having to dye it again. I only changed to purple for something different, not because the red was making me crazy! And you're definitely right about the roots. For some reason I have like a mid-tone greyish brown hair colour naturally (it's quite ugly), but luckily no matter what colour I have, aside from bleach blonde (which I've also had haha), the roots are never too bad on me.

But if you want to go for more of a lighter mocha colour as I suggested, I'd say something like...ah crap. I have an LCD monitor and I'm having a REALLY hard time telling whether what I'm seeing is supposed to be light or dark haha. But the name "light golden chestnut" sounds about right! The way the 7N Natural Blonde colour is close to what I had in mind, but it sounds wrong and I honestly can't be sure with my stupid monitor! I wish I could be more of a help with the chart...I even tried turning off all my lights and it didn't help
ssad.gif

Amaranth

Okay, this is the best I can do without buying a new monitor:

L'Oreal Feria

You can at least see what I meant by checking out any of the colours named after hot beverages or desserts
greengrin.gif
. As already mentioned, can't really comments on the lightness/darkness level though.

gelydh

Quote:
L'Oreal Feria

I LOVE this line of haircolor! I've mostly used their browns and reds, and their color selection is nicely vibrant and extensive.
smiles.gif

Latest posts