Hair Emergency!

Dreamergirl3

Please help! My mom got a horrid, horrid perm. It looks like a jerry(jheri?) curl. She hates it and has been crying all day...thing is, it was a gift from my aunt. She bought her a perm from her personal "stylist" so my mom didnt want to make a scene so she stayed quiet...I feel so bad! Shes been washing her hair and straightening it as to try and loosen it up as much as she can. Does anyone know of any other options? I read somewhere doing a "reverse" perm with a straightening product but I'm positive it will be HELL on her hair. My poor Mommy! Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!!!

lovemichelle

You can buy a perm kit (get one thats gentle or for color treated hair) from Wal-Mart or anywhere and put in the solution and comb it through from root to tip (about 10-15 minutes or whatever it says on the box). Then you rinse it out and towel dry and comb thru the neutralizer. Only leave that on for about five minutes and dont comb it too much. When I say combing I mean just enough to get all the chemical in the hair. It will reverse the perm. You have to do it sooner rather then later so if she wants to do it I would suggest doing it now.

After you do the reverse I also reccomend that you buy a deep conditioner. I would go for a salon product like Redken Deep Fuel or Rescue Force. They make great conditioners and just put it in the hair (a lot) and put a cap over it and let it sit for a good 20 mins. This will help with the damage but getting the hair trimmed afterwards would be very smart.

Getting the hair back to its orginal straightness might not be achieved, but it will get the perm out almost completly.

Oh and never use a straightening kit on permed hair because they are made for people with natural curly hair. It could end up melting your moms hair.

I hope this helps. I been doing hair since I was 15 and I get this question a lot.

Shawna

I completely agree with Lovemichelle. What a great answer. I was just going to post the same thing (my mom is a hairdresser) Let us know if it works.

Latest posts