Hardcore Mac collectors

peachsuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylabella
I wish I could afford to be a hardcore collector! I usually just pick one thing from each collection that I "can't live without" as my grandma would say! haha. Someday I am hoping to own every permanent eyeshadow, but it's going to take a long time, especially since I only have Wedge! haha

Your grandma rocks!
choochoo.gif

I have only 5 permanent eyeshadows: Tete-A-Tint, Yogurt, Shimmermoss, Stars N' Rockets, and Free to Be.
th_LMAO.gif
And I bought all from LE collections. (Well except Tete-A-Tint which I thought it was part of Pret A Papier collection because it was in the display!
lol.gif
) Yogurt was from Hello Kitty, Stars N' Rockets was from Sugarsweet, Free to Be was from Give Me Liberty of London, and Shimmermoss was from To The Beach. I don't mind buying permanent stuff from LE collections.
winks.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by laylalovesmac
^^peachsuns: I know
graucho.gif

I went through a phase where I was all about light pink lipsticks. I still wear them, but not so much in fall. The purple is my current phase.
winkiss.gif

I like to wear berry colors (but not too dark) in fall. I guess those purple and berry colors go well with the fall fashions.
yes.gif

Hope to see some hardcore MAC collectors out there some day.
greengrin.gif

cbh02b

I collect beauty powders from special edition sets like Hello Kitty, Style Warriors etc...I only buy a shade that suits me though and I usually don't get more than one of the same special packaging. Lucky for me the VV collection has different characters!

Care

I've come close to buying a whole collection or two (Moonbathe, Neo Sci Fi, Heatherette) because I really loved everything in those collections.

I have all but 2 of MAC's paint pots ever released (the two I'm missing are perm, so I'm not in a rush to get them). And I have all but 7 or so of MAC's pigments (missing 1 LE and the rest are olddddd dc mattes).

pleomorphic

Like someone else wrote, I'm more of a MU collector not limited to MAC. So no, I haven't purchased an entire collection, and I can't see myself ever doing so. For MAC, my focus is primarily on pigments and glitters, of which I am only missing about 10 or so, and MSF, of which I have all except the natural ones and the ones that were split natural/shimmer. I have all the Tony & Tina UCDs except two, and nearly all the MUFE loose pigments and glitters, and all the Becca loose shimmers in the old big size. I really like the defunct Stephane Marais line, I have all the bronzers and powder/cream blushes from him, and I'm starting on Paul & Joe pressed shimmers and Cleo Art blushes.

geeko

hmmm, i think i'm more of a cheek person. So i collect most MAC blushers / cheek products except those really dark colors.

CarolineK

Even if I had the money, I don't think I could be a hardcore collector. There's no way you can use it all up before it expires
tong.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyssah
I own all permanent eyeshadows (based of the MAC COSMETICS AUSTRALIA SITE) with the exception of about 50 colours (most being lusters and a few satins).

I love eyeshadows and I love collecting them.

Omg that must have cost you so much :| (considering Aussie prices...). I guess if you love collecting it's worth it then hey?
smiles.gif

romi79_2008

I don`t collect cause I can`t afford it but i`m sure would be every make up fan dream to afford everything you want and all of it. i`m sorry I missed the pictures of MAc_whore collection I remember she was a collector but I don`t see her in here anymore so no luck with that

miss-lilly

Well, I never thought of myself as a hardcore MAC collector or MU collector in general but I guess maybe I am?
th_dunno.gif

I only buy what I like and always use the products I get (so I never buy them to just sit prettily in the boxes) and even though I've never bought an entire collection, I've come pretty close. Hello Kitty comes to mind, when I bought everything but 3 products, Starflash, Style Black and Cult of Cherry (when I got the majority of the collection) but these were very special collections
mac_haul.gif

I would also say that I have the majority of MAC perm. e/s, l/s (which is not hard to do if you depot the aforementioned e/s
tong.gif
), and oh well, pretty much everything but I've collected all these over the years. Oh and samples of pretty much all the pigments. I definitely don't aim to own everything, I only care about products that I like and think that will suit me.

I find that I buy a lot less from the new collections than I used to because I already own similar things. And of course MAC is not the only brand I'm interested in, I'm always looking around
graucho.gif

StarrySim

I'm not really a hard core collector, not in this circle anyway
smiles.gif
"Normal" people would disagree, I'm sure. My MAC collection has exploded in the past year, but I try to only buy or swap for things I will like. Especially when buying full price from new collections, I'm extremely picky, and only buy less than a dozen items a year at full price. My weakness is the Toronto warehouse sale, and swapping.

I don't collect for the sake of collecting, but I do find it harder to let go of special packaging LE stuff. I recently swapped both of my Rose Romance blushes; I was debating keeping at least one for my collection, but then sensibility won.

My weakness tends to be eyeshadows - I depot most of them, so I can't get decent swap value for them anyway, and I always feel like I should keep the colours I don't use just so I have a little bit of every colour, and a good variety (eg. bitter, going bananas, off the page, I never use these but like to have them in my palette). But if I barely swatched a shadow and haven't depotted it yet, then I do try to swap or sell.

I also love MSF's, and I do have a decent size collection, but I have swapped away ones that don't work for me, and I wouldn't hesitate to do so again.

hwangsara

When I started to get into high end makeup, I wanted to collect all the LE stuff but then I realize it's really not worth it. First of all, if you really love the stuff and finally hit the pan, it's so sad that you can't find it again. Another reason as everyone stated about collecting makeup is the money and storage problem. It would be nice not to have a budget on buying makeup. I am really impressed with temptalia's attempt at collecting makeup. It looks so freaking awesome!

User38

Darlin, there is no such thing as collecting makeup. Makeup in and of itself has no intrinsic value -- as many of you know if you have used something which did not work out and tried to sell it...

MU is not like gold -- it does make us feel good.. but if you want to "collect" something, collect objects or things which are undervalued and which hold their values.. (don't listen to me, that is just my training.. lol)

beautenoir

Darlin, there is no such thing as collecting makeup. Makeup in and of itself has no intrinsic value -- as many of you know if you have used something which did not work out and tried to sell it...

MU is not like gold -- it does make us feel good.. but if you want to "collect" something, collect objects or things which are undervalued and which hold their values.. (don't listen to me, that is just my training.. lol)
i totally understand wanting to have ALL of one thing, like pigments or w/e, but i completely agree with this. makeup is a consumable product and once it's used, in most cases it becomes less valuable. then again, maybe we are taking the use of the word 'collecting' too serious. :p

romi79_2008

Well, when you get into Mac is different from getting another make-up brand, with all their LE and special package, mac cosmetics gives a lot of eyecandy and is like toystore for a kid only for an adult make-up lover. So if you have the buying power why not buying, for the little happiness that those little colored pans bring, why not

Junkie

I've definately downsized a lot recently - mainly because I saw the collecting as becoming more of an addiction and thats not healthy IMO. When you spend enough money on cosmetics that can easily take care of another family for a few months, its getting a bit out of hand - and buying a whole collection would bring a temporary high and feeling of higher status...but it would be short-lived until you needed the newer collection to do it all over again.

If I had the money to collect more than usual...then sure, I'd go for it....but at this time in my life, its not sensible for me to own every single item from whatever (perm e/s, lips, etc). At one point I was closing in (if not already surpassed) 130 eyeshadows, not counting quads, MES, trios, etc....and it was more so to HAVE rather than to use....because there was just no way I'd even hit-pan on a lot of colours.....so I ended up selling and swapping a large part of my collection.

I now actually implemented a rule where I have 2 eyeshadow palettes - and I can't buy anymore until I finish a colour! Haha! It works though for the most part - especially since at one time I had 8 and had taken out the insert so I could hold 26 instead of 15! Crazy me.

Seeing someone else have that kind of collection though? I wouldn't judge....cosmetics are amazing and while they would be great to have and to look at - I certainly wouldn't use it all in one lifetime - I only have one face!

I would definately wanna see Care's pigment collection though :p Especially since I knew I helped contribute haha
greengrin.gif

MrsMay

I was a collector, in particular shadesticks, paints and pigments. Something about those colours and the way they could transform was addictive to me. However I only bought colours that I thought I would possibly wear. For instance I'm not chasing hot & sour paint as I know I would never use it. Blueboy paint on the other hand I have used a couple of times.

If I believe that I have something similar in my collection then I will skip the new product. Unless I absolutely adore something I don't want something that is 99% the same just because it has been released in a collection. Because of that, I can count on one hand the amount of things I have bought in the last 10 months.

MoGiselle

thank u thank u ! for your comments. i really dont understand why people "collect" makeup. like do you know it will expire? I seen collection videos on yt where people had mac products from '95 still BNIB.. Thanks crazy

MrsMay

If it's a powder product and hasn't been contaminated by wet brushes etc then it will last for a long time, unlike foundations etc. I have products from 95 or earlier, mainly MSFs and pigments and they are still fine.

Latest posts