Hardcore Mac collectors

masaabza

I collect MAC Pigments, eyeshadows and lipsticks. I have about 65 pigments, 190 eyeshadows and 90 lipsticks as of now. Quite a few of them are LE.

LMD84

i know this wasnt aimed at me but i keep a spreadsheet of all the mac products i own and group it and have it in alpherbetical order. plus my hubby has a copy too!
tong.gif
lol!

Care

I've definately downsized a lot recently - mainly because I saw the collecting as becoming more of an addiction and thats not healthy IMO. When you spend enough money on cosmetics that can easily take care of another family for a few months, its getting a bit out of hand - and buying a whole collection would bring a temporary high and feeling of higher status...but it would be short-lived until you needed the newer collection to do it all over again.

If I had the money to collect more than usual...then sure, I'd go for it....but at this time in my life, its not sensible for me to own every single item from whatever (perm e/s, lips, etc). At one point I was closing in (if not already surpassed) 130 eyeshadows, not counting quads, MES, trios, etc....and it was more so to HAVE rather than to use....because there was just no way I'd even hit-pan on a lot of colours.....so I ended up selling and swapping a large part of my collection.

I now actually implemented a rule where I have 2 eyeshadow palettes - and I can't buy anymore until I finish a colour! Haha! It works though for the most part - especially since at one time I had 8 and had taken out the insert so I could hold 26 instead of 15! Crazy me.

Seeing someone else have that kind of collection though? I wouldn't judge....cosmetics are amazing and while they would be great to have and to look at - I certainly wouldn't use it all in one lifetime - I only have one face!

I would definately wanna see Care's pigment collection though :p Especially since I knew I helped contribute haha
greengrin.gif
Kind of a strange angle, but you get the idea! 3 rows in each shelf, each slot has a unique pigment. Unit holds 144 pigments, I've actually run out of room (as you can tell by the pigments just sitting on the bottom rung haha), and need to look for a secondary smaller unit to hold the overflow
ssad.gif
. I've created a little label for each spot so I know what's where and can find what I need easily. It's also generally orders in rainbow order, but I've been considering alphabatizing it instead, but it won't be as pretty
nope.gif

I hope this pic is within the forum limits, I think the max size is 640x800? If I'm wrong someone let me know and I'll try to post a thumbnail instead.

LMD84

Kind of a strange angle, but you get the idea! 3 rows in each shelf, each slot has a unique pigment. Unit holds 144 pigments, I've actually run out of room (as you can tell by the pigments just sitting on the bottom rung haha), and need to look for a secondary smaller unit to hold the overflow
ssad.gif
. I've created a little label for each spot so I know what's where and can find what I need easily. It's also generally orders in rainbow order, but I've been considering alphabatizing it instead, but it won't be as pretty
nope.gif

I hope this pic is within the forum limits, I think the max size is 640x800? If I'm wrong someone let me know and I'll try to post a thumbnail instead.

oh my word!!! this is pron to me! where did you get your rack from? i need one for mine! i have about 90 pigments and struggle to have them all organised - esp now they come in small jars!
smiles.gif

katred

Specktra Bestie
I don't consciously collect anything, but my tastes are broad enough that there's a wide variety of things that I like. I've never bought an entire collection. I actually came disturbingly close with SCF, just because it came out after I'd purged a great deal and it gave me a fresh new base. I did get every single eye shadow in that collection, because a) I liked them all and b) I have a sort of a thing about needing things to be complete. When I realised that I'd bought all except three or something, that knowledge was enough to deprive me of sleep.

I also retrosctively collected almost everything from Cult of Cherry. Every time I'd find something, it would make me determined to get more and keep looking. It took me a few months to do this, but that isn't long, considering that everything was long sold out. I'm still hunting down the n/ps.

As some have mentioned, there are just some colours that I'll buy because I love the colour. Almost anything purple I'll grab. And, as I'm so fond of stating, dark lipsticks are my downfall. Even I'll admit (although I'll probably deny it later) that I have some nearly dead-on dupes in my collection, but the appeal of deep, sultry, richly coloured lips is too much for me. I fold every time. And if I don't, my bf talks me into it. So with dark lippies, yeah, I'm as hardcore as they get.

NappyMACDiva3

Pigments are my HG product. I do collect them and if I had the funds I would have all the MAC picments, Sugar pill chroma lust and Becca loose colors too to name a few. I love a product that I can use for so many things...

NappyMACDiva3

ssad.gif
nope.gif

Love it!!! I need a rack like this set up mine.

keetuh

Honestly, I think after watching Temptalia's video is I'm well on my way there. I never thought in December this year I would own so much make up already. I have already filled two containers. Some I don't even use, I just love buying items that are pretty. Gosh, so I'm not there but I'm pretty sure I will be there soon.

User38

is this what's termed hoarding?

I have a LOT of product and most are in small fridges -- but I use them for work
omg.gif

Mac2Perfection

Well I wouldnt consider myself a MAC hardcore collector anymore because i used to just buy things that looked pretty in a tube but I learned to tell myself would you wear that blush? Lipstick? Lipgloss? I love eyeshadows and I will say I am pretty determine to own all of the permanent eyeshadow collection so far I think I need about 40 to go from the permanent line and I own about 120 MAC eyeshadows and that took me 6 months to get..dont look at my collection thread it hasnt been updated :)

User38

See, you have the work caveat. The rest of us are just nuts.

oh I disagree... you are not nuts because I can see how you buy and pick and choose what will work for you and work with the rest of your collection .. THAT makes sense. On the other hand, buying indiscriminately and randomly seems a bit OCD. To each his own.

I do have an excuse... lol. When I do buy it is for myself though, and because I will use and really like the product. I don't buy randomly or into hype. If I buy a from a brand name, it is generally for comps which I do not have on hand.
hatsoff.gif

LoraBrook

I don't think I'm a hardcore collector but I DO love to have a couple of things from each LE collection. Like getting a souvenir from vacation, a lippie might remind me of this collection an E/S to remind me of that one...

MoGiselle

im with you! i dont have as much mac as you but i was starting to see that it was becoming a bad addiction. me and my boyfriend live a pretty good so i can afford to buy mac here and there but i was looking and saw i could buy a used cars for the amount i have spent on makeup this year alone. and i was spending more money on makeup than clothes, shoes, etc. i have downsized completely. now with collections, i limit myself to 3 things from a collection or less. it was really helped.

I've definately downsized a lot recently - mainly because I saw the collecting as becoming more of an addiction and thats not healthy IMO. When you spend enough money on cosmetics that can easily take care of another family for a few months, its getting a bit out of hand - and buying a whole collection would bring a temporary high and feeling of higher status...but it would be short-lived until you needed the newer collection to do it all over again.

If I had the money to collect more than usual...then sure, I'd go for it....but at this time in my life, its not sensible for me to own every single item from whatever (perm e/s, lips, etc). At one point I was closing in (if not already surpassed) 130 eyeshadows, not counting quads, MES, trios, etc....and it was more so to HAVE rather than to use....because there was just no way I'd even hit-pan on a lot of colours.....so I ended up selling and swapping a large part of my collection.

I now actually implemented a rule where I have 2 eyeshadow palettes - and I can't buy anymore until I finish a colour! Haha! It works though for the most part - especially since at one time I had 8 and had taken out the insert so I could hold 26 instead of 15! Crazy me.

Seeing someone else have that kind of collection though? I wouldn't judge....cosmetics are amazing and while they would be great to have and to look at - I certainly wouldn't use it all in one lifetime - I only have one face!

I would definately wanna see Care's pigment collection though :p Especially since I knew I helped contribute haha
greengrin.gif

katred

Specktra Bestie
I don't think I'm a hardcore collector but I DO love to have a couple of things from each LE collection. Like getting a souvenir from vacation, a lippie might remind me of this collection an E/S to remind me of that one...

I have to say that, at this point, with the exception of replacing things like foundation, I'm buying exclusively from LE collections. I figure I've got a strong base of permanent products and if I want a different shade, I'll try an LE one out. This means I tend to buy a chunk when a collection comes out, but it limits how many "spur of the moment" purchases I make of stuff that's in the store all the time.

Twinkle_Twinkle

I see a lot of people have mentioned Temptalia's collection - I just want to point out that while it is awesome, a lot of her products were sent to her free from PR firms. Don't get me wrong, I am sure a lot of her older stuff was bought by her, and she still buys a lot of stuff now, because she doesn't necessarily get everything she reviews for free, but if anyone is in awe of/aspiring to have a collection of that magnitude, it's something to keep in mind.

Otherwise I agree with HerGreyness. I love makeup, obviously, but I think collecting makeup isn't really "collecting", although, people do collect things that don't have a significant potential market value, but they usually aren't products. Collecting makeup is like collecting hot sauce or body lotion when you think about it...

MacPrincess2722

I wouldnt say im a hard core collector however i do have times when i do buy things just because of the packaging i.e both dame edna hilight powders ive never used them and will never use them but the packaging was so adorable i had 2 have them, as for buying whole collections i have never done that but with venomous villains and colour craft i came vey close.If i was a millionaire i would buy whole collections just to have them and look at them.Mac collections are my weakness!!

color_lover456

This is tricky - my boyfriend asks me about my relationship with makeup all the time and i realize that maybe it doesn't need to be analyzed...I buy what I like and what I think I will use, granted, I have a pretty powerful confidence in my own ability to "make it work" Tim Gunn style when it does come to the borderline things (black lipstick anyone?)

Latest posts