Help with old MAC brush numbers?

underablanketofstars

My wonderful mother gifted me a collection of spectacular old mac brushes from the 90s. They are in amazing condition and I'm confident they're genuine, but MAC must have changed their numbering system at some point in the last 20 years because none of the numbers match the current brushes! Ideally, I’d like to establish what brushes from the “OLD” numbering system correlate to which of the new ones! Can you help?!

25 – eyeliner – sable – cream liner brush
17 – lip – firm sable
140 – angled shading (small) – squirrel – shading corners of eyes
141 – angled shading (medium) – squirrel – blending crease or shading
144 – eye shading – fine badger/pony – base brush or eyelid below crease
107 - large shading – weasel/nylon – base eyeshadow
13 – duster – white goat – excess powder duster
143 – pencil brush – badger/pony – control for lining or shading crease
18 – shader – soft sable – concealer
33 – crease – dense sable – shading & creating defined crease
36 – tapered – soft squirrel – blending crease
190 (not old, don’t need info thanks)
148 – angled (large) – pony – contour cheek, temple, jaw
2.S – blush – squirrel – cheeks
101 – large powder – soft goat – face, body

PHOTOS OF BRUSHES: http://imgur.com/a/fnx5u?gallery

ORDER IN PHOTOS: 25, 17, 140, 141, 144, 107, 13, 143, 18, 33, 36, 190 (not old), 148, 2.S (so curious about this one!), 101

Please let me know what OLD number you think correlates with what NEW brush number! Thanks everyone for your help!

underablanketofstars

OK I did some digging myself and here are my best guesses for which brushes correlate - the NEW brush number is in brackets - PLEASE TELL ME YOUR THOUGHTS! :)

25 (210? precise eyeliner)
17 (311? lip liner)
140 (272? small angled shader)
141 (275? medium angled shader)
144 (228? mini shader)
107 (242? shader)
13 (???) – duster – white goat – excess powder duster
143 (219? pencil brush)
18 (194? concealer)
33 (222? tapered blending)
36 (224? tapered blending)
148 (168? angled contour)
2.S (116? blush)
101 (150? large powder)

underablanketofstars

I have a couple of 239s and compared to the 144, the 239s are a little fatter and fluffier than the 144, but definitely close. 144 has finer control at the tip.

I can see what you mean about the 224!

You rock thanks for your help!

underablanketofstars

Just got this response from MAC! Mystery solved. Thanks everyone for your help!

"With regard to your inquiry, I have listed below the brushes mentioned with their recommended alternate from our current line:

#25 Eyeliner Alternate: #209 Eyeliner
#17 Lip Brush Alternate: #316 Lip Brush

#140 Small Angled Shading, no match available
#141 Medium Angled Shading Alternate: #275 Medium Angled Shading
#144 Eye Shading Alternate: #239 Eye Shading
#107 Large Shader Alternate: #252 Large Shader
#13 Duster, no match available
#143 Pencil Brush Alternate: #219 Pencil Brush
#18 Shader Alternate: #242 Shader
#33 Crease Brush Alternate: #286 Duo-Fibre Tapered Blending
#36 Tapered Blending Alternate: #224 Tapered Blending
#148 Large Angled Contour Alternate: #168 Large Angled Contour
#2S Alternate: #116 Brush
#101 Large Powder Alternate: #150 Large Powder"

In MY personal opinion:
-140 = MAC 275
-141 = MAC 216/disc.
-144 = I GUESS the #239 WOULD be accurate.. but also possibly a #213
-13 = MAC 207/disc.
-33 = MAC 225/disc. (with a bristle length of a 222/disc.)
-36 = MAC 226/disc. (with a bristle length of a 224)

I know most of the brushes I mentioned are unfortunately ALSO discontinued, but because they have been discontinued more recently than the more old school brushes, there ARE ways to get them.
I myself have bought all of the above mentioned discontinued brushes from reputable sellers of ebay like makeupemporium1 and pina416. I know the #207 was available on amazon at the time of my purchase as well.

fudejae

My wonderful mother gifted me a collection of spectacular old mac brushes from the 90s. They are in amazing condition and I'm confident they're genuine, but MAC must have changed their numbering system at some point in the last 20 years because none of the numbers match the current brushes! Ideally, I’d like to establish what brushes from the “OLD” numbering system correlate to which of the new ones! Can you help?!

25 – eyeliner – sable – cream liner brush
17 – lip – firm sable
140 – angled shading (small) – squirrel – shading corners of eyes
141 – angled shading (medium) – squirrel – blending crease or shading
144 – eye shading – fine badger/pony – base brush or eyelid below crease
107 - large shading – weasel/nylon – base eyeshadow
13 – duster – white goat – excess powder duster
143 – pencil brush – badger/pony – control for lining or shading crease
18 – shader – soft sable – concealer
33 – crease – dense sable – shading & creating defined crease
36 – tapered – soft squirrel – blending crease
190 (not old, don’t need info thanks)
148 – angled (large) – pony – contour cheek, temple, jaw
2.S – blush – squirrel – cheeks
101 – large powder – soft goat – face, body

PHOTOS OF BRUSHES:
ORDER IN PHOTOS: 25, 17, 140, 141, 144, 107, 13, 143, 18, 33, 36, 190 (not old), 148, 2.S (so curious about this one!), 101

Please let me know what OLD number you think correlates with what NEW brush number! Thanks everyone for your help!
I also need help with the brush number 2! I have two of them, one that is short handle and says made in France in fancy writing, and a longer version without the writing… hellllp!

Shawniece

Former MAC artist here, and I've been buying MAC brushes since '92. All the single and double-digit brushes are the "original" brushes. They began to be discontinued mid-90s as the transition from "Made in France" to briefly Japan and eventually the current numbering system. By 2000 the new numbering was in place (100s - face brushes, 200s - eye brushes, 300s - lip brushes), and around 2017 all brushes were transitioned again to synthetic bristles. (sigh) If you still have your mom's brushes treat them dearly! I have a #22 that I bought in '94 that is perfection, and there has never been another brush comparable to the #36.

Shawniece

I also need help with the brush number 2! I have two of them, one that is short handle and says made in France in fancy writing, and a longer version without the writing… hellllp!
Also, the #25 is a flat eyeshadow brush... converted to #252. Since it is so old I would primarily use it powder products and clean it well and gently if you use it with cream. Remember to wash by hand with brush cleanser, never let water saturate down into the ferrule, lay flat and let air dry. If they've lasted this long they should hold up if you treat them well. =)

fudejae

Also, the #25 is a flat eyeshadow brush... converted to #252. Since it is so old I would primarily use it powder products and clean it well and gently if you use it with cream. Remember to wash by hand with brush cleanser, never let water saturate down into the ferrule, lay flat and let air dry. If they've lasted this long they should hold up if you treat them well. =)
Honestly, I never use my single/double digit Mac brushes! They are way too rare to chance running them! Its so nice to see someone still active around here!! I literally jumped on this train when it had derailed for 15 years and i was sitting alone waiting for any other deserters! 😂 I would love to see this forum get active again, with vintage Mac collectors sharing info and collections!! I’m looking for info on really old shades of shadow and blushes… I literally have the shade “White” in a big pro pan, and the shade “Cheek” which I’m not sure if it’s a blush or shadow! Currently I’m trying to find any info on the shade “Gris” But I’ve only found one post on here, listing it as a satin. But I’m always on the hunt for these shades to buy…

bark
Ingénue blue
Modest tone
Grand entrance
Suspicion
Rani
Solar white
Light shade
Light ray
Unbasic white
Talent pool
Lavender sky
Laven-dah!
Mystical mist
Shore leave
Short shorts
300game
Meet the fleet
And a few others!

Makeup Emporium

Honestly, I never use my single/double digit Mac brushes! They are way too rare to chance running them! Its so nice to see someone still active around here!! I literally jumped on this train when it had derailed for 15 years and i was sitting alone waiting for any other deserters! 😂 I would love to see this forum get active again, with vintage Mac collectors sharing info and collections!! I’m looking for info on really old shades of shadow and blushes… I literally have the shade “White” in a big pro pan, and the shade “Cheek” which I’m not sure if it’s a blush or shadow! Currently I’m trying to find any info on the shade “Gris” But I’ve only found one post on here, listing it as a satin. But I’m always on the hunt for these shades to buy…

bark
Ingénue blue
Modest tone
Grand entrance
Suspicion
Rani
Solar white
Light shade
Light ray
Unbasic white
Talent pool
Lavender sky
Laven-dah!
Mystical mist
Shore leave
Short shorts
300game
Meet the fleet
And a few others!
I have Rani and some other older shades in my sales thread...https://www.specktra.net/threads/lots-of-discontinued-mac-estee-lancome-available-new-and-swatched.118282/

Latest posts