How do you "Drive Business" at your beauty counter?

metal_romantic

When sales are slow, how do you bring the customers in?

(Apparently I need to know this already if I want to get a job. I thought it would also be a helpful thread for those already working in cosmetics sales.)

pumpkincat210

thankfully mac is original.. they have out there ,different makeup looks and clothes to match, loud catchy music, the counters like this always seem busier to me than mac counters that don't do this.
Being different always caught my attention the most.

metal_romantic

I mean for brands other than MAC
smiles.gif

I had an interview with Shiseido and didn't get the job. When I asked for feedback she said I was supposed to mention that I would give free hand massages (among other things) to customers when she asked me how to drive a business. She was a very nice lady but I kind of misunderstood what she meant and talked about building relationships with customers (so they would become regular customers). I wouldn't have ever mentioned or even thought of the hand massages or something like that because that seems like something you would do with permission. I have only worked as a casual in fashion retail up until now so as a casual (the Shiseido postion was only for Part Time, 15 hours) I would think that a manager would not be happy with offering services to customers without asking if it was appropriate to do so. In the same department store, I got told off for helping a customer to wrap a gift (she was in a hurry to go meet her friend and give the gift) using paper and ribbons that she had purchased from our store, so I wouldn't dream of offering a hand massage. It seems a bit weird to me unless I was promoting a hand cream or something like that.
So... that's the story behind why I started this thread.

Apart from hand massages, what kind of things have you done (or been told to do by managers) to attract customers to your counter when there is so much competition? I need some ideas to help me get a job
smiles.gif

Thanks
greengrin.gif

boudoirblonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal_romantic
I mean for brands other than MAC
smiles.gif

I had an interview with Shiseido and didn't get the job. When I asked for feedback she said I was supposed to mention that I would give free hand massages (among other things) to customers when she asked me how to drive a business. She was a very nice lady but I kind of misunderstood what she meant and talked about building relationships with customers (so they would become regular customers). I wouldn't have ever mentioned or even thought of the hand massages or something like that because that seems like something you would do with permission. I have only worked as a casual in fashion retail up until now so as a casual (the Shiseido postion was only for Part Time, 15 hours) I would think that a manager would not be happy with offering services to customers without asking if it was appropriate to do so. In the same department store, I got told off for helping a customer to wrap a gift (she was in a hurry to go meet her friend and give the gift) using paper and ribbons that she had purchased from our store, so I wouldn't dream of offering a hand massage. It seems a bit weird to me unless I was promoting a hand cream or something like that.
So... that's the story behind why I started this thread.

Apart from hand massages, what kind of things have you done (or been told to do by managers) to attract customers to your counter when there is so much competition? I need some ideas to help me get a job
smiles.gif

Thanks
greengrin.gif

I work in a dept. store, at a beauty counter, and hand massages are a Shiseido thing... (and yes its to promote their hand cream) I cant believe she wanted you to say that! Maybe if you were already working there, and she was asking at your annual review or something!
But, for most counters its like spraying fragrance - so if you have the opportunity again, perhaps say something like that. Also, you can always ask customers to sit down for a consultation (either skincare or make-up) on slow days, most counters encourage that in my experience

BEA2LS

i was going to work for clinque (but i never took the job as i could not miss time off from my full time to go to training) but i was being prepped and i remember them saying when things are slow to sit someone in the chair.

metal_romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEA2LS
i was going to work for clinque (but i never took the job as i could not miss time off from my full time to go to training) but i was being prepped and i remember them saying when things are slow to sit someone in the chair.

Yeah... so how do you get them to want to come sit at the counter?
smiles.gif

SmokeSignal16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEA2LS

Yeah I work for Clinique and that's a HUGE thing with them to sit someone down for a skincare consultation, not even when were slow but with every client. Makeup comes after skincare with them but they do 'half-face' where you do one side and they do the other so they can go home and know what to do with the stuff lol.

Latest posts