How do you keep those pen-brush things clean?

MACLovin

I'm talking about the YSL Touche Eclat type applicator, where you click the button to release the product into the brush and then apply.. I don't have the actual YSL one, but the Boots Radiant Glow concealer (which is a great dupe apart from this one issue).

I've had it for about a week, and use it almost every day. I don't apply it directly from the brush, I just do a couple clicks and wipe it on my finger [clean of course] and use my 217 brush. BUT the thing is starting to smell nasty, like wet socks or something..lol. I didn't even think of all the gross bacteria it can accumulate once the cap is closed and its sitting there in a dark, moist environment.. *puke*

So, what do you all do... should I just clean the brush every time I use it? That's kind of a pain in the ass... Because I'm thinking of just cutting off the brush tip all together. It seems more sanitary that way..

What do you think? How do you keep yours from growing strange organisms? lol

Zoffe

I hate products that come with "applicators" like that :/
If you have to clean it every time you've used it you end up wasting 2/3 of the stuff just from cleaning :s
I think the best way to keep it clean is to use a clean brush to pick up the product from the applicator. That way you don't get bacteria into the product and you should be fine
smiles.gif

MACLovin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoffe
I hate products that come with "applicators" like that :/
If you have to clean it every time you've used it you end up wasting 2/3 of the stuff just from cleaning :s
I think the best way to keep it clean is to use a clean brush to pick up the product from the applicator. That way you don't get bacteria into the product and you should be fine
smiles.gif

Yeah, exactly.. I'd waste so much product cleaning it each time.
angry.gif

But even if I use a different clean brush each time, it's still sitting there with the cap on and there's no hole in the cap so air can circulate. So basically... bacteria paradise.
ssad.gif

I think I may clean it, and then cut off most of the brush, because it's pretty much impossible to not get gross.

user79

Get an alcohol wipe from a drugstore, or just wet a paper towel with disinfecting alcohol, and once you finished applying the product on your eyes and there's not much left on the brush, run the bristles back and forth over the alcohol wipe. It will sanitize it without wasting a lot of product.

abbey_08

i have the ysl radience balm thing and it comes with a brush, it says just to wipe it with a tissue after use but i i agree with using an alcohol wipe rather than just plain tissue

MACLovin

^good idea, i'll try that! i happen to carry alcohol wipes with me because i'm neurotic about my phone at work being clean, lol.. so yeah, hopefully that will keep it from getting icky.
smiles.gif

MACLovin

Okay.. change of plan. The alcohol wasn't really helping at all with the smell or my peace of mind, so I just went ahead and cut the brush completely off...

it's SO MUCH BETTER!!! Instead of wasting 2 clicks of product trying to just get it on the brush, plus more if you actually want enough product to cover the selected area.. I maybe have to use 3 clicks total, it dispenses directly out instead of through the nasty brush hairs. I put it on the back of my hand and I just use the 217 brush to apply. Perfect!
greengrin.gif

I'd highly recommend doing this if you're having a similar issue. Makes my life a whole lot easier, and I can conserve more of the product this way.

thmbup.gif
thmbup.gif

Latest posts