How do you like Nordstroms?!

amoona

Ok so my freelance paperwork finally went through on Thursday! yay! And after class Thursday I went downtown San Francisco to look for a dress for a concert I'm going to. I figured I might as well introduce myself to all the managers at the million MAC counters down there hehe. So I did and when I went to the Nordstroms downtown the assistant manager told me they were hiring for a 15 hour position and if I was interested to fill out the Nordstrom's application online and then come back with my resume.

I dropped off my resume today and was told that they'll give it to HR and they'll pull up my application and I should get a call by Friday. So far this is the only location that told me they have any perm. positions avaliable but I'm a lil stumped and need help from everyone haha.

I know Nordstrom's makes commission which I'm not too excited about because I know returns will effect your commission. I have no problem making my sales goals, when I worked for bebe I worked at a very small store and my sales were about $15k a week. I just rather meet sales goals then have to make commission. BUT if I were to work at a Nordstrom's location I'd rather work downtown because it's ALWAYS busy. Always someone new to work on and I'll never get bored haha.

For anyone who works for MAC and Nordstrom's how do you like it? I mean I've been reading through this entire section and I've noticed that Nordies is a lil different and they're a bit strict. How much less is the hourly pay? Since I would have to work downtown I'd have to take BART (like the subway) which will cost me $5.80 a day roundtrip! How much different is it working at MAC Nordstroms compared to working at MAC anywhere else? If I decide I don't like working at MAC Nordstroms would it be looked down on if I ask to be put back on the freelance list or if I want to transfer after a short time?

giz2000

I started out with MAC at Nordstrom...yes, they are strict, especially with dress code (no sleeveless, no short anything, no cleavage, etc)., but there are perks...you are part of the entire cosmetics department, and as such, you can sell anything in any department...and make commission on those sales. Also, you attend all the cosmetics lines' training for new products, and you get gratis from those lines as well. You, in essence are a Nordstrom employee and get their benefits as well (health, store discount, 401K, etc), but you still get all of the MAC perks, - EMS, gratis, discount, etc.

I really can't complain, because my Nordies' experience was a good one. I love going back there to freelance because it feels like "home" to me. I left because I went back to school, and my Nordies MAC only has full-time positions available...but if they had a 10-15 hour position open, I would jump on it!

You won't be looked down upon if you want to freelance again...a lot of permanent MAC employees leave to freelance because it's more convenient for them...good luck!

VeronikaJ

I know many people who have worked for MAC at Nordstrom and every one of them has enjoyed it. It is true though that they are a bit more strict but who cares!? You get the perks of MAC and Nordstrom! I think it's a fair price to pay to work in a Nordstrom that has a reputation of high customer service and treats their employees nicely. Plus, when you are a permanent employee of MAC you are guaranteed hours, get to participate in trainings and Update, receive gratis for each new launch, etc. If you are looking for something to do only occasionally then freelancing might be better for you but if you want a steady job that you can count on x amount of dollars each week then becoming permanent is probably more suited to you. I would just weigh your options, but either way you get to work first and foremost for MAC and that's what I think is the most important to you (from what you've posted).

amoona

WOW thanks guys! The dress code thing doesn't bother me much ... the only thing I ever show is cleavage because it's impossible to hide these things lol. Going to training for other lines sounds cool too, I'm always up to learning new things.

I'm sure my commission will be nice due to this location being in the downtown SF mall which is ALWAYS packed. But do either of you (or anyone else for that matter) know how much of a difference the hourly pay is between a MAC Nordstroms and any other MAC. I've heard it's less at Nordies because you get commission vs. other locations that don't get commission.

giz2000

The pay at Nordies is, on the average, $2-3 less per hour, but you do have a 3% commission. In a busy store such as the one you'll be at, you should do really well. Don't worry too much about returns...it might seem like you get a lot of them, but in the grand scheme of things, it balances itself out. Plus, cosmetics is the only dept there that gets both hourly and commission...everyone else is commission only.

amoona

Hourly and commission?! WOW that's awesome I did't know that one. It's usually one or the other, that's how it was at bebe when I worked there. If they give me the position I'm all over it now haha. Thanks!

FacesbyNiki

I'm currently at a Nordstrom location and it's not bad. I love the commission and the fact that you get the Nordstrom discount on stuff. It's a good experience. I'm glad I'm starting out here.

iiifugaziii

I am going to interview for a nordstrom's management position soon (with MAC), just a phone interview (for seattle area...) i'm super nervous! I hear bad things about nordstroms
ssad.gif
I donno why. I always hear that it sucks just because you're no longer on MAC payroll...
but I heard they have competitve pay. and the commission received seems like it would balance out.
For all you nords girls out there, working for mac-- what are the perks, in your opinion, of working for nords. rather than a mac store/macy's? I'm coming from a macy's... where there's virtually no dress code and piercings and tattoos are allowed to show. So if I get this position, is it going to be like a whole new world for me?
btw- if i do get it, i'll be moving and starting there by april 1st!! ahhh. i hope i get it!

amoona

I had my interview today with the MAC counter assistant manager (their manager was recently promoted so they're minus a manager) and the Nordstroms cosmetics manager.

The MAC a.m. kinda confused me a lil though and she said she didn't know if I'd have to go through the entire MAC interview again ... i.e., demo. If that's the case I'd probably decline the position because it was the most difficult thing to get a model (even if she was my cousin) and not to mention stressful.

She told me she'd forward my resume to the regional manager and then we'll take it from there. I'm sure they'll offer me the position but I'm just a lil confused as to where it goes from now ... and so was she since she's never hired anyone before, especially someone who is already a MAC employee. She was a sweetie though so we shall see what happens.

amoona

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiifugaziii
For all you nords girls out there, working for mac-- what are the perks, in your opinion, of working for nords. rather than a mac store/macy's? I'm coming from a macy's... where there's virtually no dress code and piercings and tattoos are allowed to show. So if I get this position, is it going to be like a whole new world for me?

Ok from what I was told by the managers in my interview they were saying that you get a support system from MAC and from Nordstroms. You get to sell other products at other counters or other departments and still get commission for it (as mentioned here earlier). You get the hourly PLUS 3% commission which is great because most retail locations only give either or which truly does suck.

I forgot to ask about the dress code but it doesn't really seem THAT bad. I don't think it'll be a huge deal if you have tattoos ... I mean you do work for MAC haha. I wouldn't worry too much, it doesn't seem to be too different from working at any other MAC location other then the dress code.

I mean I've seen girls wearing sleeveless tops and even tube tops at Nordstroms MAC counters but shorts and short skirts is a no-no unless you have tights on. It may vary from different locations but the Nordstroms locations here seem to be a lil more flexible with the MAC dress code.

iiifugaziii

thanks so much. i'm interviewing with the RM of nordstroms on sunday evening (she's amazing. and we clicked so well!) and then i have one more with the cosmetics manager for an assitant manager position in the Seattle area. Wish me luck!
I'm very excited!

amoona

Ok so on Tuesday I had my interview and everything and the manager seemed to really like me and the cosmetic manager liked me to. They basically told me I had the job without formally offering it to me. All they said was now they had to pass my paper work along to the regional manager to that I can be transfered from on-call/freelance to part-time employee.

Then I go home for lunch today and I get this letter in the mail from Nordstroms and it says they're not hiring right now?! I called the MAC manager and she told me that she was actually waiting for a call from HR about my application. BUT they may not have the hours to give me.
hmm.gif
I don't get that, why would I be interviewed for a position if they don't have the hours to give me? I'm a lil bummed because I was hoping to be able to quit my current job like ASAP.
ssad.gif
I guess I have to go back to kissin ass at different counters haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiifugaziii
thanks so much. i'm interviewing with the RM of nordstroms on sunday evening (she's amazing. and we clicked so well!) and then i have one more with the cosmetics manager for an assitant manager position in the Seattle area. Wish me luck!
I'm very excited!

Let us know how it turns out!!

giz2000

What might have happened is that between the time you interviewed and the time they submitted your paperwork, the position may have been pulled or somthing along those lines. Don't worry too much about getting a perm position as a freelancer...if you work hard and "make friends" at as many counters as you can work, you'll be offered a perm position in no time...trust me!!

amoona

Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000
What might have happened is that between the time you interviewed and the time they submitted your paperwork, the position may have been pulled or somthing along those lines. Don't worry too much about getting a perm position as a freelancer...if you work hard and "make friends" at as many counters as you can work, you'll be offered a perm position in no time...trust me!!

Yea I think that's what happened because the position was avaliable for a long time before I even found out about it ... like months! It seems like everyone out here gets hired as a perm pretty quick (if they want the position) but I'm just ready to quit my office job lol.

Thanks for everyone's advice on Nordstroms though, now at least I know if I get another offer from another Nordstroms MAC counter to take it!
smiles.gif

FacesbyNiki

I was already working for Nordstrom/MAC for a month and I got a letter in the mail from Nordstrom saying they didn't have anything for me. My mom and I laughed so hard about that.
lmao.gif

claresauntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacesbyNiki
I was already working for Nordstrom/MAC for a month and I got a letter in the mail from Nordstrom saying they didn't have anything for me. My mom and I laughed so hard about that.
lmao.gif

Niki, that sounds so much like the place where I work now! I was already hired when I got a nice letter from HR to tell me they were reviewing my resume and that I should be hearing from them soon. Then I got the same letter the next day!
ohboy.gif

amoona

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacesbyNiki
lmao.gif

lol wtf?! haha well that's what i thought at first but then i spoke to the mac manager and she told me that the hours may not be avaliable anymore and she said she'd call me back if she got any other information. she never called
ssad.gif
but the bloomingdales mac counter is hiring for three positions so they told me to stop by tomorrow. hopefully this one turns out better?!

Thank you all for this useful information. I had stopped at the Nordstrom's in my area and the MAC girls there were sweet and helpful. They told me how to apply and what to do after I completed the online application.

And reading the praises here on working at Nordstrom (ex.: 401k), I'm so calling Monday about the job!
greengrin.gif

Thanks again, all!
smiles.gif

xxyrbestbetxx

I just got the job working for mac at nordstroms. because i'm bored (kinda didn't sleep in on a saturday), i will post my process. so i applied online for mac and tbd/savvy. about two weeks later, the HR called me to have a phone interview with me.

after the phone interview, i was asked to come in for a face to face interview.

after the face to face interview, she loved my makeup and tried to get an interview with the cosmetics manager, but she was busy. so the next day, the cosmetics manager called me.

after that, a mac employee called me and tried to set me up for another interview with the counter manager. i wasn't going to do my demo this time, so they were going to schedule me to do my demo another time as another interview.

but after my interview, while i was still at the mall, they called me back and asked if i could do a demo on one of the mac employees that didn't have any makeup on. they gave me a scenario: your customer is a diehard mac fanatic. she owns everything of mac. she's come in today for a make over about the new summer colors and new launches.

after that i was supposed to wait for another phone interview. about 30 minutes later i got a call from mac saying they would love to hire me.

so training starts tuesday and mac training starts june 12th!!!!

i hope this sort of helped with nordstroms' process of hiring for mac

Latest posts