• As of January 16, 2018, all posts in this section are moderated. Please engage with the community within the rest of the forums, remembering that you may not post your own tutorial links outside this section. Also remember to put your content in the proper space.

Tutorials posted outside this space will be removed. If you post a tutorial in this space and you don't make an effort to participate in the community outside this section, your post will be deleted.

How I De-tube and Melt My Lipsticks

xkleverxkittyx

My lipsticks were seriously overpowering my kit as far as space goes so I decided to find a way to save space and help keep things more sanitary. I "de-tubed", as I like to say, the majority of my lipsticks. It was a hard decision because I love the little tubes and found them so portable, and I especially loved my limited edition tubes. Plus, think of all the Back 2 Mac you can do!

I have found that it is a whole lot easier to just use my palette knife and scoop out a little lipstick onto my palette and then to use a lip brush on clients.

The lipstick I used is Fleshpot. I've decided to put it in my Pink Palette next to Bubbles. I am using a jar set from Joann's. You can find it here.

bbmymruo0p4a7o4rlcgl.jpg

So lets start!

1. Get your tools together! I usually use my palette knife, but any item that can help you scoop is acceptable.

auzzrriphemvxlnapeop.jpg

2. I use the lighter to remove the lipstick label...

c9ou5fh99sopk16kyj6c.jpg

...and stick it on the bottom of the empty jar.

xk143sgymcjkurbq673u.jpg

3. Using your cutting tool, slice your fully rolled up lipstick at the base and into the jar.

wkrju7odv2tb735z5sm6.jpg

acdd7soiutztaatiinae.jpg

4. Using then end of your spoon or scooping tool, slide it into the lipstick tube near the edge.

msa2xn6pmv4xk887loti.jpg

5. Slowly scoop out the lipstick and put it in the jar.

a0r6qj57wehnnjr3bu8w.jpg

Fleshpot I found was very ...stiff. Maybe it was just the tube I got, but it was a little hard to cut through, it also made this process a little messier than usual for me. When getting all the lipstick off the spatula, i got a lot on the side of the jar which isn't usually the case.

6. Get all the excess you can out of the tube.

bekj9x219eutkg8xkgaj.jpg

7. Your jar of lipstick should look like this.

mfm9f3vmszpisn0rrgii.jpg

8. Next Place it in the microwave. I have found that warming it up in the microwave for no more than 45 seconds at a time is perfectly safe for the lipstick as far as color, texture, and preservation. It still has that vanilla scent when solid again!

jjnmoph66qi1bxhw6c55.jpg

zk628imps4ocdadelcdj.jpg

9. Slowly remove your jar from the microwave and it should be fully melted. If not, reheat for 15 second intervals until fully melted. Then let it cool off on a flat surface.

Here is the lipstick 10 seconds after microwave removal.

oc8ts8awue1l6lvzz9hb.jpg

Here is the lipstick 45 seconds after microwave removal

9oftopi2ktasc216ge9u.jpg

And here is the lipstick 5 minutes after microwave removal, completely solid.

598fk9s6lc14v1fj2f2z.jpg

Place in your palette and you're good to go!

gs34f52jmtogznnrl09w.jpg

e192h3lnclrl3j0yydqm.jpg

I only cut down half of St. Germain, Fresh Brew, and Bubbles (not shown) for my kit and saved the tube for myself since I use them often.

The ones I didn't detube at all were Pure Rose from Ungaro, Fashion Mews from HK, Hi Top from Fafi, and Strayin from HK. Cause who says you have to de-tube everything!

rxjbjnxs9k4x90eut13u.jpg

I hope you enjoyed reading this step by step tutorial on how to de-tube and melt your lipsticks. Don't be afraid to try some new fun things with your makeup.

xoxo
Jaimie

blindpassion

This is great!

Another way you can do this, if anyones interested: cut off the lipsticks and put it on a spoon, put a lighter under the spoon and melt the lipstick, and then drip it into a e/s palette with empty pans. (the same empty pans youd use to pigment press). This way its just like an eyeshadow palette, except with lipsticks!

xkleverxkittyx

thats a good idea too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindpassion
This is great!

Another way you can do this, if anyones interested: cut off the lipsticks and put it on a spoon, put a lighter under the spoon and melt the lipstick, and then drip it into a e/s palette with empty pans. (the same empty pans youd use to pigment press). This way its just like an eyeshadow palette, except with lipsticks!

makeupmag

This seems like a snap! Thanks for sharing. I like that photo of High Top, the green shimmer really showed up there.

xkleverxkittyx

I had one where I was trying to melt a Victoria's Secret Lipgloss to make it smoother and i put it in for a long time. It still didnt flatten out, but it burned a whole in the plastic. So long as you don't microwave it for more than 2 minutes the plastic should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhunt2
Did microwaving effect the plastic???

I worry that it would be bad with issues like BPA Bisphenol A - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Makeup Emporium

I did this with mine and it only took 30 seconds in the microwave. Just watch it as it's melting to make sure you are not microwaving for too long. Microwaves all have different heat settings etc and the newer ones tend to get things hot faster!

Makeup Emporium

I have a lip safe CCB that I actually only use for my lips that I did this with as well. It all fit in one of those little 5g jars! So much smaller then toting around the whole CCB packaging.

Miz Pina

Some of the softer lipsticks have a nasty tendency to break in half on me so I've been potting those because they look too frankenstein and sad when I tried to re-attach them
ssad.gif

I use a toothpick to dig the rest out from the casing into the jar and then microwave in 10-15 second increments and also give them a bit of a swirl or stir to make sure nothing separates.

Also, I knock them on the counter a few times to tamp out any air pockets before they cool.

Miz Pina

Quote:
This is great!

That's a great idea too! Do you think it matters there isn't a seal in a palette? I know the jars aren't really airtight either. Would a full lipstick be about 2 pans?

I don't really recommend this but it worked for me: I poured a 2 lippy mix in my empty richmetal case from the couture collection and it set before it had all spread out so I took my little creme brulee torch to heat it back up!

User27

This idea is utterly genius and I'm not that attached to the casings of the lipsticks anyways.
smiles.gif
There is a tool that comes with the Herbal Essence Extreme FX bleaching kit...looks like a miniature crotchet hook for pulling hair pieces through the cap and the other end has a scraper...will work great for taking my lipsticks apart and stirring after heating. I have a backup because it takes 2 boxes to bleach and I save the back up in case HE is missing a cap or hook...don't recommend a used one. Blah!!! Yes, I have a constant supply of bleach kits because my hair gets colored on whim instead of intelligence.
smiles.gif
I'll play guinea pig at trying to insulate a palette with a rubber lining and try blindpassions' idea with the eyeshadow trays...hopes are low that it will fully block out air leaking in but it's worth a shot. You all just added one more palette to the cart for the F&F sale for me to concoct with.
tong.gif
Thank you for sharing this because I'm trying to find out the ultimate way to organize my stuffies to get the bf off my back.

PS Never live in an apartment because you don't have MAC_Whore's bathroom space.
winkiss.gif

I am all for downsizing i'd be careful with certain lipsticks and melting them. it can change the composition of the lipstick shimmers can separate. Glossy lipsticks can separate from the pigment.

I like those jar sets must get me some.

ruthless

The only thing I can find fault with is that it's not exactly good for your health to microwave things that go on your mouth (and in your body) in plastic. Lots of harmful chemicals-if you could smash it in the pots without heating it is better. I'd probably do it that way myself

MacVirgin

Great tut
thmbup.gif

Quote:
This is great!

That's a good one!

cocomia

I use a craft heat gun for this... It's like a hair dryer but so much hotter.

I do worry about changing the chemical composition (especially ruining preservatives) so I don't usually do this with lipsticks I actually like. I melt the ones I don't like and mix them to come up with something more wearable. I also melt them in mint tins so that there's less plastic meltage going on.

Kragey

This is a really good idea! I usually just remove the top half of the lipstick with dental floss, then crush it with a wet Q-tip so it gets a nice, creamy texture. But this is a really nice way to create your own palettes...I think I'll have to do that!

Latest posts